Analysis Pies over Bombers by 11pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon rested 6 best 22 players. Have nothing to play for..... Some of the rested are absolute key players for the Bombers.... They lose Hurley in the game.. We scrape over the line against them with everything to play for... Chances are we meet them in the first final... You're ok with that?. That was puke!. We are just making up the numbers in finals.

It was 26 scoring shots to 15.

We were incredibly wasteful in front of goals whilst they were very accurate.

I will say that leg speed and quick corridor play from hbf does appear to worry us.

What do you reckon about this behaviour? Whole bunch of Collingwood supporters were yelling out “sorry” repeatedly when McDonald-Tipungwuti missed a goal.

Did it happen? If so, Shameful. Unlike the Goodes boos (who people could claim was based on their dislike of him as a player) the only explanation for that is that it is a race-based slur. Can’t believe people still act this way.

I imagine if the mouth-breathers were confronted about this, they would say “what, me? This has nothing to do with race. We are just teasing him for missing a goal”. They might actually think they were being clever.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate, i’ll tell you what I am on the edge of doing the same. Not that i am a huge contributor on this board anyways.

It is getting draining. I cannot read such drivel being thrown out by people and NOT defend a club I love. Maybe its best i leave, it doesn’t really seem to do anything.

I can see where you're coming from but my advice is to be the change that this place needs. Don't let the posters that see only the bad in a situation win.

I accept criticism as it is a necessary component of adult discussion, but it's also plain that many here have never made a single happy post; they refuse to acknowledge the good when it occurs. Let's not let this board, which has added so much to our football experience become a toxic chamber.

Back on topic. Last night we played clean footy after quarter time, and our defense was awesome again. It was just the finishing in the last that prevented us from better result on the scoreboard. That incident with Varcoe alone in front of goal deciding to kick the ball over a teammate's head was one of the biggest facepalm moments I've ever had at the MCG.

A bit concerned about Moore.

I can see where you're coming from but my advice is to be the change that this place needs. Don't let the posters that see only the bad in a situation win.

I accept criticism as it is a necessary component of adult discussion, but it's also plain that many here have never made a single happy post; they refuse to acknowledge the good when it occurs. Let's not let this board, which has added so much to our football experience become a toxic chamber.

Back on topic. Last night we played clean footy after quarter time, and our defense was awesome again. It was just the finishing in the last that prevented us from better result on the scoreboard. That incident with Varcoe alone in front of goal deciding to kick the ball over a teammate's head was one of the biggest facepalm moments I've ever had at the MCG.

A bit concerned about Moore.

“A bit”?! That is like saying “just the tip”.

By the way Greenwood taking out Scharenberg was f kn dumb.

+1. Love the pig but he has very little awareness of what is happening around him.

Did it happen? If so, Shameful. Unlike the Goodes boos (who people could claim was based on their dislike of him as a player) the only explanation for that is that it is a race-based slur. Can’t believe people still act this way.
I imagine if the mouth-breathers were confronted about this, they would say “what, me? This has nothing to do with race. We are just teasing him for missing a goal”. They might actually think they were being clever.
they might, but given the evidence, they would appear to have a limited supply of the raw material required with which to think.

I mean so stupid it defies belief

Just watching the replay and something hasn’t been mentioned often is Adam’s kicking this year has been really good imo. A lot of those kicks he’s tried to pull the trigger on, in the past have been really improved and it’s opened the game up for us. He’s really starting to hit his straps at the right time of year.
It has been hasn't it.
Making good decisions too, opening up the play for us a lot.
Doesn't surprise me how much it has improved, with his manic obsession for training he has probably been working on it for hours and hours and hours.

For a win this is some strange reading on this thread, at one stage l thought we lost and l was on the game day thread.
Anyway, with both sides with plenty out the first quarter belonged to Essendon, the the rest to us. With the kicking and the amount of inside 50s to us we really should have won by more, especially in the last, it flattered them on the score board being so close.
Finals are here and it’s a new season, so to speak, form before it does not matter as much, so anything could happen.
With two weeks off so to speak, it’s a great chance to get the players right.
We will surprise many this finals.

For a win this is some strange reading on this thread, at one stage l thought we lost and l was on the game day thread.
Anyway, with both sides with plenty out the first quarter belonged to Essendon, the the rest to us. With the kicking and the amount of inside 50s to us we really should have won by more, especially in the last, it flattered them on the score board being so close.
Finals are here and it’s a new season, so to speak, form before it does not matter as much, so anything could happen.
With two weeks off so to speak, it’s a great chance to get the players right.
We will surprise many this finals.
During the game many were saying we are sh*t and playing like crap etc.
Now there have been many games this year when I would have agreed with those comments but I didn't think we played poorly last night.
We dominated the majority of the game but the good old Collingwood goal kicking issues meant it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.

During the game many were saying we are sh*t and playing like crap etc.
Now there have been many games this year when I would have agreed with those comments but I didn't think we played poorly last night.
We dominated the majority of the game but the good old Collingwood goal kicking issues meant it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.

It was the most Collingwood game ever. We won by a dozen behinds. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, what’s your point? Its clear the talent is there in the playing group. Always has been. Everyone knows we’ve been inconsistent all year from week to week to qtr to qtr. The coach acknowledges it. So I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial.

The mark of a great coach is to build a group of individuals into a great team. One that executes consistently when it matters. And the challenge ahead is to know execute in finals, when in 22 home and away games we’ve been unable to do that.

We’ve had the easiest run into the finals, 18th, 17th, 10th and now 8th. And in 3 out of 4 wins we’ve failed to maximise opportunity and put points on the scoreboard.

So as much as the playing group need to take their opportunities, the challenge for the coaching group is to find away to get them to convert. That’s what great coaches do, in all sports.

The only player of impact missing from last years GF side is Langdon. Cox, Seir, Aish and Goldsack have been replaced by more in form players (Roughead, Elliot, Brown, Noble and Magden).

Regardless of a somewhat disappointing home and away season, where i believe despite injuries 16+ games and a top two finish was the minimum expectation, I have no doubt if this team is actually coached to its maximum potential it will win the premiership.

I’m not here to butt tap and back slap a 15 and 7 season that should have been 18 and 4 (win Freo, hawks, gws and north and it’s a 19 and 3 season).

It’s flag or failure. No excuses. It’s been 9 years. Time for the coaching group to maximise talent and deliver the cup.

Just give it a rest for the week buddy.

Coming onto our board with your agenda is tiring. Everyone knows who you are and what you’re about. You’ll save us all some time scrolling through the threads.

If De Goey played last night I could’ve seen us putting Roughead back.
Potentially that would have made us more potent up forward and Roughead May have contained McKernan who took 12 marks.
Even without Darcy in week one of finals I see us beating Essendon easy if we play them.

Unfortunately it happened, and I have to sit near these guys every year. No wonder I spend so much time in the bar.

I love Essendon fans. We’ve beaten them what, 20 of the last 25 times we’ve played them?
I swear after every one of those losses they immediately blame their injuries, the umpires, the weather or some other s**t and then they say how they’re looking forward to playing us next time when they’ll definitely beat us.
We absolutely own them but they never ever disappoint with their predictable reactions. I can’t wait to end their season in two weeks.

If De Goey played last night I could’ve seen us putting Roughead back.
Potentially that would have made us more potent up forward and Roughead May have contained McKernan who took 12 marks.
Even without Darcy in week one of finals I see us beating Essendon easy if we play them.

Yup - even though JDG and Stevo are massive ins in their own right , what it allows us to do in terms of playing our backs (Roughy,Crisp ..) in their best positions is just as important in my view.

We should be able to cover Moore a bit better with ROughy back there - he could be one of the best pick ups ever if we take it all the way.

Goldy would have to be some sort of show after today - should stand up to finals better than Madge .

Unfortunately it happened, and I have to sit near these guys every year. No wonder I spend so much time in the bar.

That is no good. Reflects badly on Collingwood and humans in general. And they are being cute by not technically engaging in “anti-social behaviour”. They need educating.

Oh yes, I’ve always said that DeGoey, Stephenson and Sidebottom lack impact. Just plodders..,.

Yeah, and for week 1 of finals - those 3 will be back in the side won’t they? Nice of you to take my comments way out of context.

The only impact missing from our 2019 finals campaign from the 2018 finals teams and GF side will be Langdon. From this point on, we have no excuses. Our best 22 will take the field in two weeks and my belief is we should win the premiership. Simple as that

Ah it’s building, we have a good list now, and we should win it now. A double flip.^
If we don’t win, l can see it now.
Oh even when we do there be no credit given

Last edited:
Yeah, and for week 1 of finals - those 3 will be back in the side won’t they? Nice of you to take my comments way out of context.

The only impact missing from our 2019 finals campaign from the 2018 finals teams and GF side will be Langdon. From this point on, we have no excuses. Our best 22 will take the field in two weeks and my belief is we should win the premiership. Simple as that
Simple? You’d be an expert on that.

Cox will also be missing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back