Opinion Player Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes you remember correctly. Philpy wore 13 for the Magpies. He also wore 22 for a while and 13 again.

13 - Orazio Fantasia, Wylie Buzza, Todd Marshall, Cam O'Shea, Mitchell Farmer, Ben Eckermann, Danny Morton, Chris Hall, Rohan Smith, Geoff Blethyn, Brad Gotch, Neville Phillips, Phil Robertson, Len Warren, Bob Philp, Eddie Woloczek, ‘Punch’ Mucklow, Ned Hender, Bill McFarlane, Roger Clift, Bob Philp, John McBain, Dean Trowse

Rohan Smith stands out like the proverbial in that list.
Another player who did the no 13 proud was Mark Dolling in the 2000’s

Attachments

• IMG_3037.jpeg
    IMG_3037.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 24
Chris Natt when did he become no 8?

I think when Russell came back from North Melbourne. Bucky was captain, so Russell went back to his old number. Dawson only played the 1979 season with Port.

I thought Jase was looking bigger in that pic from behind. 5kg is a fair jump this early in a pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan Smith stands out like the proverbial in that list.
Another player who did the no 13 proud was Mark Dolling in the 2000’s

Roger Clift was also fairly useful. B&F winner in 1954 and a Premiership player in 1954, 1955, 1956 and 1957. According to Fos Williams Roger Clift played his first league game at 15!

Last edited:
I think when Russell came back from North Melbourne. Bucky was captain, so Russell went back to his old number. Dawson only played the 1979 season with Port.
Do you know which player wore the number 7 before Dave Gill?

I can recall him wearing that number from the early 1960's until he retired in 1967 and then it was given to Russell in 1968, but apparently Dave first wore it as early as 1957.

Do you know which player wore the number 7 before Dave Gill?

I can recall him wearing that number from the early 1960's until he retired in 1967 and then it was given to Russell in 1968, but apparently Dave first wore it as early as 1957.

This is the list of wearers of #7 that I have ... Billy Whicker played 1931-40, Peter Marrett 1947-53 and 1955, Alan Blagrove 1955-59 so I suspect it was one of the latter two. Although John Dewhirst also played during the 6 in a row era (1957-58, in the 1957 premiership team).

07 - Xavier Duursma, Brad Ebert, Peter Burgoyne, Brett Chalmers, John Rombotis, Russell Ebert, Steven Curtis, Roger Delaney, Chris Natt, Mark Dawson, Dave Gill, Billy Whicker, Peter Marrett, Allan Blagrove, John Dewhirst

This is the list of wearers of #7 that I have ... Billy Whicker played 1931-40, Peter Marrett 1947-53 and 1955, Alan Blagrove 1955-59 so I suspect it was one of the latter two. Although John Dewhirst also played during the 6 in a row era (1957-58, in the 1957 premiership team).

07 - Xavier Duursma, Brad Ebert, Peter Burgoyne, Brett Chalmers, John Rombotis, Russell Ebert, Steven Curtis, Roger Delaney, Chris Natt, Mark Dawson, Dave Gill, Billy Whicker, Peter Marrett, Allan Blagrove, John Dewhirst
:thumbsu:

I can remember seeing `Blossom' Blagrove play for the Maggies in the 1950's, but I can't recall his jumper number.

As a player he was in the old fashioned knock em down, pick em up, and knock em down again category who apparently worked on one of the Port river tugboats, and was one of a number of Magpie players of that time who played in more than one senior, and reserves premiership teams.

Last edited:
Marlon Motlop wore 7 between Burgoyne and Ebert.

He wore 11 initially but then took the 7 and didn't play a game in it. At least that's my memory of it.

I’ve got Nathan Krakouer taking the number 7 in 2010 and then Motlop in 2011, before Ebert in 2012. Krakouer played a few games but Motlop didn’t.

I had a look at the official club website for the first time in a while last night to confirm the new player numbers, and in one of the paragraphs about the new draftees our home ground is referred to as `Albertonm.' :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back