Players to Kick 700+ Goals in the VFL/AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It's such a shame this table includes VFL goals, but not WAFL/SANFL

It makes no sense but I guess it means we can all ignore Simon Beasley (867 goals), which might not be a bad thing.

We should include Tassie and NT if including the junior comps.

Hudson kicked over 700 in the VFL, and another 1,000 in Tassie.

Last edited:
Mentioned dunstall because he was most recent not because his bad.
Ken farmer is dead but will have to wait his turn.
Classic

I never said "Farmer will have to wait his turn"

I said he should be in (and that I think he will be).

I think it's an egregious oversight that he has been overlooked to date. Some people argue how only a select few can make it, who would you have not elevated in his place, etc...but he should have been one of the first picked IMO. If I had to nominate someone - Roy Cazaly was an inaugural legend in 1996. He played in a similar era (slightly before) that of Ken Farmer. Cazaly was, by all reports a fine player and an exceptional high mark. He played 198 games and kicked 167 goals (2 non playing years due to WW1). He won 2 best and fairests. He also coached 66 games at 2 different clubs without any success (on top of Ken's ridiculous playing career, he coached for 4 seasons, making 3 Grand Finals and winning 2 flags). I don't think the fact that a famous song immortalised the Cazaly name in folklore should have much of a bearing. I get that I never saw him play and I am not casting aspersions about his ability but on known record and contribution, I think Farmer should have been an inaugural legend and perhaps Cazaly could have waited a little longer.

Yep that's right. He was a smaller player. Not a KPF.

Also, these players not winning a Coleman medal, do you think it's a "black mark" against them? Black mark probably isn't the right word but maybe more so...do they come down in people's rankings/assessments because they never won a Coleman medal?
well Heres the thing...

Barry Hall didnt win a coleman medal but won a Premiership medal in 2005.

Sticks Kernahan didnt win a coleman medal but won flags in 1987 and 1995. He could of won one more in 1986 or 1993.

Wayne Carey didnt win a coleman medal but won premiership medals in 1996 and 1999, could of won one more in 1998.

I dont either of those 3 blokes wont complain about a coleman medal. All 3 got one premiership medal each.

Tom Hawkins kicked 2 goals tonight against GWS. This takes his total to 793 goals. I have updated table above.

Dick Lee kicking 700 plus goals in the early 1900s is absolutely insane.

Absolutely it is. In his era the leading goalkicker award for the league wasn't known as the Coleman medal, but he won the leading goal kicker award in the league a whopping 7 times, the most of any player in the history of the VFL/AFL

Table in first post has been updated to reflect the two goals kicked by Tom Hawkins last night at GMHBA Stadium against Richmond, round 12. Tom now moves to 795 goals from 357 games, goal average per game = 2.22.

5 more goals to go to hit the 800 goal mark.

Table in first post has been updated to reflect the 1 goal kicked by Tom Hawkins at the SCG against Sydney, round 13. Tom now moves to 796 goals from 358 games, goal average per game = 2.22.

4 more goals to go to hit the 800 goal mark.

Was hoping Taylor Walker would back up last season and push the 700 mark but it's looking unlikely now

Is this correct? See link below:

Sav Rocca never won an All-Australian....at all??....

Sav was a consistent goal kicker for sure - but he just wasn’t the best around at any point of his career.

1995 was probably his best shot, kicked 93 in an average Collingwood team but Ablett and Lockett had him easily covered at FF, and he wasn’t getting in over Carey or Garry Lyon either.

He played mostly mid to lower table football for average sides at both the Roos and Pies. 3 finals across his career for 3.2 - all losses.

Sav was a consistent goal kicker for sure - but he just wasn’t the best around at any point of his career.

1995 was probably his best shot, kicked 93 in an average Collingwood team but Ablett and Lockett had him easily covered at FF, and he wasn’t getting in over Carey or Garry Lyon either.

He played mostly mid to lower table football for average sides at both the Roos and Pies. 3 finals across his career for 3.2 - all losses.
Maybe, but he earned $3.4 Million AUD Punting in the NFL, So I doubt he cares too much about his AFL Stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's such a shame this table includes VFL goals, but not WAFL/SANFL

It makes no sense but I guess it means we can all ignore Simon Beasley (867 goals), which might not be a bad thing.
I knew one of you would mention the bush leagues.

We can’t forget Johnny Lightfoot who kicked 1085 goals in the Ovens and Murray league in the 60s either.

Probably explains why he never won an All-Australian at all in his career. Out of all of the players to kick 700+...he must be the only one to not get any All-Australian guernsey.

I think Sam Darcy is the best chance playing probably followed by the King brothers of the next generation. Jeremy Cameron will get it done in the next few years of the older crop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back