Players who have gone on one year too long

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 goals from 14 games, he's struggling but still providing.

It's actually 30 in 12 until the last three weeks. Two quiet games either side of a week not playing due to being sick. The previous game he took 8 marks inside 50 and kicked 3.5 making Hurley look silly in the process. Hardly a liability.

Even against Hawthorn in a low scoring game in the wet the fact that he played benefited Darling (5 goals) massively. Their leading patterns and separation meant that Darling could get one on ones. Take Kennedy out and you end up with Frawley playing on him and someone else (Sicily, O'Brien) coming over the top each contest.

The last three years of Michael Rischitelli's career would have to leave people wondering "Is he sacrificing his game for the team?" or "Is this all he's capable of?"

30 of a possible 64 games (4 wins, 26 losses), 80.07% gametime, 11.17 disposals per game (1.66 kick-to-handball ratio, 40.77% contested possession rate, 69.85% disposal efficiency, 25.37% turnover rate), 2.53 rebound 50s per game, 2.80 tackles per game, 2.33 one percenters per game, 3.50 intercept possessions per game, Champion Data Player Ranking Score average of 50.27.

I'm sure he's a professional guy and solid example for the young blokes in the squad, but you'd kind of expect more out of a bloke of his experience level (241 AFL games now), to justify a continued place in any senior side and on a list. He's never exactly been known as a Luke Hodge-style leader, so justifying a spot as an "on-field coach" is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:

WC’s Josh Kennedy is just really showing the effects of offseason surgery & basically no preseason, which becomes exceedingly harder when you get older.

He’s done it the few years before, somehow managed to get himself up and about; but there does come a time when that just isn’t possible. Especially when you start late to begin with given he played in the premiership.

He should go on next year, actually. Not all about the goals with JK- he’s still really structurally important to us and his theoretical replacements in Allen/Brander/Williams are probably at least a year off being really physically ready to take on a role like that full term.

WC’s Josh Kennedy is just really showing the effects of offseason surgery & basically no preseason, which becomes exceedingly harder when you get older.

He’s done it the few years before, somehow managed to get himself up and about; but there does come a time when that just isn’t possible. Especially when you start late to begin with given he played in the premiership.

He should go on next year, actually. Not all about the goals with JK- he’s still really structurally important to us and his theoretical replacements in Allen/Brander/Williams are probably at least a year off being really physically ready to take on a role like that full term.

He’s cooked.

Does nothing below the knees. If it’s not on his chest he is now struggling.

He’s lucky as the key forward that he did kick 7 one week. Cause. 2, 0 , 0, 7, 1 isn’t great numbers in a side that’s kicking goals.

Was a champ. But

He’s cooked.

He’s lucky as the key forward that he did kick 7 one week. Cause. 2, 0 , 0, 7, 1 isn’t great numbers in a side that’s kicking goals.

Was a champ. But

He’s cooked.

Was a champ. But
This is hilarious, plays 2 weeks effected by illness and isn't allowed to have any turns in form? Players of any age have poor patches. Last week he was dropping marks and missed some set shots he'd normally gobble up. He is always a chance to kick three goals, bad game or good.

Bad form, not done with yet.

This is hilarious, plays 2 weeks effected by illness and isn't allowed to have any turns in form? Players of any age have poor patches. Last week he was dropping marks and missed some set shots he'd normally gobble up. He is always a chance to kick three goals, bad game or good.

Bad form, not done with yet.

Today’s form.

Or do you want to make another excuse.

He’s lucky Clarko isn’t coaching or he would be a Roughhead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today’s form.

Or do you want to make another excuse.

He’s lucky Clarko isn’t coaching or he would be a Roughhead.
You do understand there’s more to a forward than just kicking goals, yeah?

JK isn’t in the greatest form right now, got shaded today by a decent defender in Talia; but he still leads hard at the ball carrier, takes the best defender each week and brings our small forwards into the game. Something Roughy, as much as I admire him, hasn’t been able to do this year.

We don’t need him to be kicking 4-5 a week for him to be very useful to our set up. WC have enough dangerous avenues to goal. But he’s still very capable of that, too.

Kennedy still has another season left and next year he will only need to play 10-15 games for it to work for the club and with the developing talls the Eagles have they will be ready to take over from him when he looks to retire

You do understand there’s more to a forward than just kicking goals, yeah?

JK isn’t in the greatest form right now, got shaded today by a decent defender in Talia; but he still leads hard at the ball carrier, takes the best defender each week and brings our small forwards into the game. Something Roughy, as much as I admire him, hasn’t been able to do this year.

We don’t need him to be kicking 4-5 a week for him to be very useful to our set up. WC have enough dangerous avenues to goal. But he’s still very capable of that, too.

I don’t care wether it’s a first player or veteran. They need to be better than 6 touches at 33% efficiency. This is becoming his norm

I have to admit, I thought Kennedy would retire after 2018. He was clearly no longer the player he used to be after a very good 2017, but played an excellent game in the 2018 GF and I felt that would have been the perfect note to bow out.

I was really surprised when he chose to go on into 2020. Yes, he takes the best defender and creates a contest, but that's not even the bare minimum expectation at AFL level - which, for a forward, is either winning the footy or kicking goals.

Jesus, a lot of negativity towards Eagle JK... Pretty sure by all reports he had a very good pre-season, his first in a while, with only a minor hiccup to his elbow. I expect him to kick some sausages this year, wouldn't be surprised if the COVID break, shorter games and season actually suits him. I think he is value for the Coleman...

Jesus, a lot of negativity towards Eagle JK... Pretty sure by all reports he had a very good pre-season, his first in a while, with only a minor hiccup to his elbow. I expect him to kick some sausages this year, wouldn't be surprised if the COVID break, shorter games and season actually suits him. I think he is value for the Coleman...
Still a dangerous player and still capable of wreaking havoc.

I have to admit, I thought Kennedy would retire after 2018. He was clearly no longer the player he used to be after a very good 2017, but played an excellent game in the 2018 GF and I felt that would have been the perfect note to bow out.

I was really surprised when he chose to go on into 2020. Yes, he takes the best defender and creates a contest, but that's not even the bare minimum expectation at AFL level - which, for a forward, is either winning the footy or kicking goals.
Structurally, JK does a lot for our forward set up. He hasn’t hit the scoreboard as frequently, but he still works hard to present and create space for Darling and create a contest for our smalls to work. They still kicked 108 between them last year which is a pretty good return.

We are probably a year or two off having Allen & Brander ready to take the role. So having him in the squad does a lot for our younger guys, too.

That elbow injury he picked up in the preseason I suspect was a LOT worse than what the club was saying. He looked very restricted. Looks much better now. I still expect a 40+ goal year from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back