Players you are surprised are still on an AFL list

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. He's obviously had a well decorated career up until this point to justify a little bit of extra persistence, but ever since Kennedy retired he's probably struggled with form more than ever. Plays better as a 2nd or 3rd tall than he does as the main target.
He's a declining key forward for a team that has struggled to get forward 50 entries the last few years (honestly go sort footywire by team i50's over hte last few years, we are so low). It is what it is.

Agreed, he's important to the Pies structure even though he doesn't get much of the ball. He clearly doesn't know Collingwood.

For Pies, I can't really think of any. The players not getting a game are quite young and really unproven. We've got a lot of role players/depth that might not be great (Carmichael or Johnson) but they are young and have a bit of potential.
Fin Macrae , besides sticking the odd tackle here and there , he is very limited in all facets of the game , one paced , average kick with little penetration , brushed aside easily when given the opportunity with the big boys , Callum Brown , mark 2

Don’t really like this thread as it can become a pile on for the lesser talented players that every AFL team needs.
But what a remarkable career.
Rookie drafted in 2012 as a back-up option to Will Minson !! by the Bulldogs, then North & now the Saints. Hasn’t played since 2022!
Never played more than 9 games in any one year.
Appears to be the ultimate clubman, winning praise at each of his clubs for his leadership, guidance and mentoring of the younger players.
AFL career spanning 14 years, played a total of 56 games at a an average of about 5 games per year.
That’s awesome.

I wasnt crapping on him

The stats you have just laid out show that sometimes veteran leadership is just is important as playing senior football especially if you play a position where good depth helps.

Tom Campbell isn't a world beater but he is a great presence

I wasnt crapping on him

The stats you have just laid out show that sometimes veteran leadership is just is important as playing senior football especially if you play a position where good depth helps.

Tom Campbell isn't a world beater but he is a great presence
All good - wasn’t implying that’s what you were doing. More a generalised comment of the thread. We can sometimes expect that everyone has the potential to be A grade.
Just an amazing stat that being considered at most a “journeyman” and excellent clubman he hasn’t played since ‘22. That’s nearly 2 years without a game and yet still on a senior list.

He must be an absolute elite clubman 😂

All power to him. Extraordinary in such what is now a cut throat industry

Well he did win best clubman last year.
Cracking example that it takes more than just guns to build a team.
We are often are too focussed on the “front of house” aspects of the teams we follow.
Each year clubs draft in 3 to 4 kids, most of them just out of school, they’re babies, chuck them into an elite enviroment where pretty much everything that they do is under a microscope.
A lot of them in different States away from their family and friends & the support units they have had.
Would be underrated by most what an older peer could do to support them going through this.
It’s where players and people like him obviously shine. Put their arms around these kids and provide them with protection and nurturing against the internal & external challenges these kids are faced with.

Kudos to him👍

Don’t really like this thread as it can become a pile on for the lesser talented players that every AFL team needs.
But what a remarkable career.
Rookie drafted in 2012 as a back-up option to Will Minson !! by the Bulldogs, then North & now the Saints. Hasn’t played since 2022!
Never played more than 9 games in any one year.
Appears to be the ultimate clubman, winning praise at each of his clubs for his leadership, guidance and mentoring of the younger players.
AFL career spanning 14 years, played a total of 56 games at a an average of about 5 games per year.
That’s awesome.
Want to like this twice but can’t - so have another one here

I can't remember if he left us because he wanted to play more midfield minutes or if it was the opposite and that we wanted him to be a midfielder but he wanted to remain as an x-factor forward. Either way from what i've seen in his time at the Hawks he still looks as though he's indecisively tossing between the two positions so not sure if there's a plan in place there.

But I also just notice nowadays that he always looks constantly miserable. Like he never actually really smiles or laughs with the game anymore like he did in his peak years with us. Since 2016 it just looked like his entire body language really changed for the worse. Mind you i wouldn't know if this is the same case when he's training or if it's just gameday.
Has played forward under Sam but plays higher up the ground at times to rely less on explosive speed and reduce soft tissue. Clarko saw him as a midfielder and he was dominating it for a stretch. Will come back as a fwd who can pinch through the middle. Looks more athletic than before the injury surprisingly.

He’s also a lad lad around the group, often with the younger groups and loves a laugh and often a bad dad joke. His body language is and has always been smug but I do agree when you’re not winning his confidence through body language goes down hill.

Agreed, he's important to the Pies structure even though he doesn't get much of the ball. He clearly doesn't know Collingwood.

For Pies, I can't really think of any. The players not getting a game are quite young and really unproven. We've got a lot of role players/depth that might not be great (Carmichael or Johnson) but they are young and have a bit of potential.
Johnson is not young when he’s turning 27. He’s lucky to be contracted for 2025

Tom Hawkins.

Had no idea Hugh Greenwood was still around, let alone played 2 games this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder what happened to him - looked very impressive early on his career and then had slid backwards, backwards out of the side, and looks like backwards out of the AFL.

Honestly I think he’s just a player who is capable of doing good things, not a good player.

Even in his time at Sturt, although he was obviously one of the better players, he was never an out and out stand out. He’d just do the odd thing that would make you think he had the ability to go up a level. Then when he got picked to debut, it was largely off potential, from memory his VFL numbers were not overly impressive.

Wonder what happened to him - looked very impressive early on his career and then had slid backwards, backwards out of the side, and looks like backwards out of the AFL.
He’s always been more of an x-factor player than anything else. His best moments are memorable for a long time.

He’s a long way off the AFL these days and his switch to defence isn’t because he’ll be the next star swing man. Even the VFL coaching team are annoying him.

One of the worst main rucks in the VFL was named as an emergency ahead of him for a game where every available near-enough AFL standard kid was named.

Tom Hawkins.

You shouldn’t be. He’s s**t on your team more than any other in the competition, helped bundle them out of the finals a few times - then again I suppose any number of players have done that - and even the other week when he could hardly touch the ball and didn’t raise a solitary goal he still managed to set two up.

You shouldn’t be. He’s s**t on your team more than any other in the competition, helped bundle them out of the finals a few times - then again I suppose any number of players have done that - and even the other week when he could hardly touch the ball and didn’t raise a solitary goal he still managed to set two up.
Another one who misunderstands the purpose of this thread Phat. Fair enough if they want to have a crack at Tom from a "Players who went one year too many" type thread, but given his huge presence on a footy field as recently Round 3, nobody should be surprised Hawkins is still on a senior list. FWIW, I think he'll fight back and make many posters eat their words.

I honestly thought Lachlan Keeffe retired but apparently not

My list of the players who have been kept on the list too long for each club:

Adelaide - Ned McHenry

I don't even think many Crows fans would disagree. Easily the worst first-round pick to come out of the 2018 super-draft. The only time he looks semi-competent is during showdowns (Because of course he does!)

Brisbane - Darcy Gardiner

Was never able to maintain consistency in Brisbane's defense the same way that Starcevich and Lester have (And even then they aren't exactly super consistent themselves) and found himself behind Jack Payne in the selection order last year. His brief forward experiment before his recent ACL didn't help him much.

Carlton - Jack Silvagni

Currently recovering from ACL but doesn't get around the fact that he's a 100+ game forward who hasn't even scrapped together a 20+ season even ONCE his entire career. If his last name wasn't Silvagni he would've been delisted years ago.

Collingwood - Mason Cox

Talks the talk but is ultimately still only good for about 1 or 2 decent games per year. Only important when Darcy Cameron needs a rest. I'm still convinced that his whole career completely lives off of his 2018 Prelim performance.

Essendon - Matt Guelfi

In the same club as Jack Silvagni for the forwards with (Almost) 100+ games of experience and never once even managing 20+ goals. Looks like a custom made AFL Evolution player too.

Fremantle - Matt Taberner

In 2020 he was actually AA squad lmao. Looked like his career was finally going to breakout, but instead a couple of injuries later and now plays like he aged another 10 years. Dead weight at this point.

Geelong - Gary Rohan

The Qualifying final hero answered his critics... and really hasn't done much since. Ollie Henry looks like a fitting replacement for his spot as the third tall. Will at least retire as a cult hero though.

Gold Coast - Sam Day

HE'S STILL ON THEIR LIST? Yep. Him and David Swallow the only ones left from their inaugural team. Never had more than 150 hitouts, 20 goals or 90 marks in a season, so... He does a lot of different things as a key position player, but none of them particularly well.

GWS - Braydon Preuss

The Giants don't really have many actual spuds on their list. But come on. This guy is at his third club and the jury has been out on him for a few years now. Simply doesn't belong on an AFL list for any reason that doesn't involve his height.

Hawthorn - Chad Wingard

I'm not saying that we exactly won the trade, because Ryan Burton has been inconsistent at best, but at least you can say he somewhat improved (And stopped getting injured) Whereas Chad is still barely even a shell of his former self and can't keep his body fit for a full season anymore. He's basically the version of Jake Stringer that didn't win a premiership.

Melbourne - Tom McDonald

He's named after a the white Republican version of Eminem... Enough said

Norf - Jaidyn Stephenson

I could pick multiple spuds off of this list, but it's seriously hard to believe that this guy once won a rising star and looked like the central piece of Collingwood KPF future. Somewhat fitting that his form dropped significantly after his gambling controversy. Norf almost tried to turn him into a midfielder but that was short lived.

Port Adelaide - Jed McEntee

Honestly, F!!K this guy. Waste of a mid-season pick, waste of a small forward and most importantly, waste of a list spot. Makes Guelfi look like peak Eddie Betts!

Richmond - Dion Prestia

Awesome player in his prime, but like Wingard he can't even put together a full season anymore with the way his body is shaping up. Is he really much on an integral part of their future anyway?

St Kilda - Jimmy Webster

A few to choose from, but I honestly almost forgot this guy existed until he crunched Jy Simpkin. And then realized he's been on an AFL list for more than a decade, and 150+ games of experience to match. I'm honestly impressed. He's basically the David Mackay of St Kilda.

Sydney - Peter Ladhams

YEAH PISTOLS
Like GWS, The Swans also have a pretty dam good list... which makes their worst player sticks out like a sore thumb. Go watch the match he played against his old team in 2022 and that alone speaks enough volumes.

West Coast - Jack Darling

This guy is cooked. The fact that his OWN crowd were giving him ironic cheers for his 1 and only mark against the Giants earlier this year says it all.

WBD - Rory Lobb

One of the dumbest list decisions and trades in recent times. When you already have a father-son AND a number 1 pick amongst your KPF options you really didn't need to get this guy. He's average at what he does anyway, and tends to sook about playing any ruck time even if its just for backup. Spud.
Tbf Tom Mcdonald has been pretty good in defence this year. Moving him there was a smart decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back