Michael Riley

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Brighton VFA
Hi all,

I am doing some research into the collection of football photos at the State Library of Victoria by photographer Charles Boyles. I have been working with Ken Mansell and we have already tried many avenues to identify photos. We were hoping that posting some of the photos here may jog some memories.

The collection was submitted to the library in 2008, but many photos remain unidentified. I was wondering if anyone can help me work out who some of the players are.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Photo 1: 1938 Essendon Senior Team (Damaged Photo)
dons122_238_resize.jpg

Original at SLV: http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16869

Back Row:Leo Maynes, Hugh Torney, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Norm Baker, Ted Rippon.
Middle row - Stan ‘Snowy’ Wilson, Unknown, Unknown, Dick Reynolds, William Luff, Unknown
Front row - Unknown, Unknown, Ted Bryce

Photo 2:
This photo is probably a seconds team. No players at all identified...very frustrating.
dons122_126_resize.jpg

The original uncropped version is at the State Library of Victoria: http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16912

I must say i love these photos.

To me, it's similar the recent video we had identifying the Essendon player in the 1940's grand final not long back.

Maybe we should introduce a 'golden oldie of the week' to bring their Essendon story back to life and give us all an education on some of the lesser lights for the EFC over the years.

Kind of like how we'll explain a Sam Lonergan or Stephen Coping 20 or so years from now.

Like I wonder how big Hugh up there ^^ performed on the field. He looked a big unit, but could he get a regular game??

Torney ran 2nd in a brownlow, won a B&F, won a flag, played 170 games - fair assumption he could play.

{Side issue: Anyone know how to get the tags to work? It comes up with a list... I click... it does nothing!}

This is a bit beyond my era, sorry guys.
What I would do, well, actually, what I have now done, is email Gregor McCaskie, Curator of the Hall of Fame.
He's more likely to know the older players than I am.

here's what I can tell you (assuming the 8 players listed are correctly identified).
Black shorts - Home game
The only 3 Homes games where those 8 players played were Rounds 5,7 & 8.
so there were other players who also played in all 3 games, and therefore must be in the photo.

Bob Standfield, Harry Lippiatt, Murray Exelby, Jack Caesar, Les Begley, Tom Reynolds, Ray Watts and Len Webster played all those games, so therefore must be in the photo.

If two players are obscured by the damage, that would be 18 in the photo.
So we're down to missing 2 names from those 3 Home games.
Those two players missing are two of the following
Bill Cahill, Billy Hall, Frank Kelly, Arnold Maltby, Elton Plummer, Les Powell, Arthur Slater

Hey Mate I can help with a couple of them:

Back Row:Leo Maynes, Hugh Torney, Tom Reynolds, Les Begley, Unknown, Norm Baker, Ted Rippon.
Middle row - Stan ‘Snowy’ Wilson, Unknown, Len Webster, Dick Reynolds, William Luff, Unknown
Front row - William Hall, Jack Caesar, Ted Bryce

I should be able to work the others out if ya give me time. William Hall is also the last player in the second row of the second picture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back Row:Ray Watts (Missing from damage), Leo Maynes, Hugh Torney, Tom Reynolds, Les Begley, Unknown, Norm Baker, Ted Rippon.
Middle row - Murray Exelby (Missing from damage), Stan ‘Snowy’ Wilson, Unknown, Len Webster, Dick Reynolds, William Luff, Arnold Maltby
Front row - William Hall, Jack Caesar, Ted Bryce

Second Photo: Second Row: Arnold Maltby, ___, ___, ___, ___, ___, ___, William Hall.

Complete List

Back Row:Ray Watts (Missing from damage), Leo Maynes, Hugh Torney, Tom Reynolds, Les Begley, Bob Stanfield, Norm Baker, Ted Rippon.
Middle row - Murray Exelby (Missing from damage), Stan ‘Snowy’ Wilson, Harry Lippiatt, Len Webster, Dick Reynolds, William Luff, Arnold Maltby.
Front row - William Hall, Jack Caesar, Ted Bryce.

I must say i love these photos.

To me, it's similar the recent video we had identifying the Essendon player in the 1940's grand final not long back.

Maybe we should introduce a 'golden oldie of the week' to bring their Essendon story back to life and give us all an education on some of the lesser lights for the EFC over the years.

Kind of like how we'll explain a Sam Lonergan or Stephen Coping 20 or so years from now.

Like I wonder how big Hugh up there ^^ performed on the field. He looked a big unit, but could he get a regular game??

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/efc-cryptic-challenge-thread.279102/

I like how the West Coast board has a "Player of the Week". To be honest, I'm not sure why other boards don't do it, I reckon it's a great concept.

I can help a little with the second photo. I have been trying to research my grandfather Les Powell and I believe you are correct about the second photo being a seconds team photo from using the Boyles football photo website. I can also confirm that in the middle row, 3rd from the right is Les Powell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back