Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a disappointing performance from a near full strength SA side against NSW/ACT today in Adelaide, was a bit weird that scoring opened up more when the rain came in given it was largely inaccuracy keeping it low scoring to begin with. Don't think there was a lot to be made from the NSW performances, the guys that have separated themselves as the better prospects from the Swans/ GWS Academy games stood up again with Luke Lawrence, Harry Rowston, Indhi Kirk, Harvey Thomas and Angus Curry not necessarily the major ball winners but looking a step above their teammates, with Ethan Grace, Felix Rogers and William Edwards playing their roles really well.

From an SA POV, there were some things to note down that I think are worth keeping an eye on heading into the Champs;
-Tom Scully kept really quiet by a taller defense than he's used to, Brad Rauter (19-year-old) is only 190 cm but showed that if you put some body on Scully he struggles in marking contests, and even when he gets free he can be prone to a double grab.
-Barnett comfortably beaten in the ruck despite a 6cm height advantage and a major athleticism advantage
-Tyson Walls looked really good in a behind the ball role from the backline
-Keeler was impressive as both a forward and a winger, still not completely sold but does a lot of things well without looking challenged
-Phillipou could be the best SA prospect, only played the second half but just looked really classy in the wet
-Jake Walker, Blake Hansen and Shaun Bennier are guys I didn't really know much about heading in but were impressive at times, I'm not sure how they'll fit in come draft time but all look like they'll be valuable contributors for SA at the Champs
-Brodie Tuck, Nick Sadler, Billy Dowling and Jaiden Magor may not have won heaps of the ball but impressed me through the game, the latter 3 probably make up the SA 'second string' midfield trio which really speaks to the depth of their talent in their

Thanks.

And how did you see Dane Posthuma's game?
Was really defensively accountable but made a lot of skill errors in the first half, even without any evident pressure. Improved as the game went on but it was concerning early on

Bit of a disappointing performance from a near full strength SA side against NSW/ACT today in Adelaide, was a bit weird that scoring opened up more when the rain came in given it was largely inaccuracy keeping it low scoring to begin with. Don't think there was a lot to be made from the NSW performances, the guys that have separated themselves as the better prospects from the Swans/ GWS Academy games stood up again with Luke Lawrence, Harry Rowston, Indhi Kirk, Harvey Thomas and Angus Curry not necessarily the major ball winners but looking a step above their teammates, with Ethan Grace, Felix Rogers and William Edwards playing their roles really well.

From an SA POV, there were some things to note down that I think are worth keeping an eye on heading into the Champs;
-Tom Scully kept really quiet by a taller defense than he's used to, Brad Rauter (19-year-old) is only 190 cm but showed that if you put some body on Scully he struggles in marking contests, and even when he gets free he can be prone to a double grab.
-Barnett comfortably beaten in the ruck despite a 6cm height advantage and a major athleticism advantage
-Tyson Walls looked really good in a behind the ball role from the backline
-Keeler was impressive as both a forward and a winger, still not completely sold but does a lot of things well without looking challenged
-Phillipou could be the best SA prospect, only played the second half but just looked really classy in the wet
-Jake Walker, Blake Hansen and Shaun Bennier are guys I didn't really know much about heading in but were impressive at times, I'm not sure how they'll fit in come draft time but all look like they'll be valuable contributors for SA at the Champs
-Brodie Tuck, Nick Sadler, Billy Dowling and Jaiden Magor may not have won heaps of the ball but impressed me through the game, the latter 3 probably make up the SA 'second string' midfield trio which really speaks to the depth of their talent in their
Interested to see how Shaun Bennier goes played with my god son was a class above kicking goals from 50 in under 11s.

Hey PMBangers, I reside in Werribee and saw there was a game on so went to have a look, as a proud western suburbs man I couldn't help but be disappointed with the lack of talent on the display. I know D'ambrosio is a big loss for them and I overheard Matthew Payne is currently play in the APS school league. Is there any other real talent here In the west bar those two?

P.s Harley Reid can play

Hey PMBangers, I reside in Werribee and saw there was a game on so went to have a look, as a proud western suburbs man I couldn't help but be disappointed with the lack of talent on the display. I know D'ambrosio is a big loss for them and I overheard Matthew Payne is currently play in the APS school league. Is there any other real talent here In the west bar those two?

P.s Harley Reid can play
I think Payne is the only draft chance out of Western

Whats Scully's upside like, any similarities to a Max King or a Logan??

Whats Scully's upside like, any similarities to a Max King or a Logan??
Scully doesn't quite have the natural athleticism of the twins or the ground level game of any of the 3, but he's obviously got a fantastic reach and a pretty good set shot routine on him. More dangerous than McDonald but less so than the Kings on the lead with his patterns as well, I'm also not sure he'd have the immediate impact that the Kings had (when injury allowed) but could be a similarly nightmare match up given his height

Scully doesn't quite have the natural athleticism of the twins or the ground level game of any of the 3, but he's obviously got a fantastic reach and a pretty good set shot routine on him. More dangerous than McDonald but less so than the Kings on the lead with his patterns as well, I'm also not sure he'd have the immediate impact that the Kings had (when injury allowed) but could be a similarly nightmare match up given his height
Thanks. Im just thinking would wce go for him to pair with Allen? But we do need a young mid aasp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks. Im just thinking would wce go for him to pair with Allen? But we do need a young mid aasp
Just personally I wouldn't be comfortable picking any of the KPP options over Wardlaw (and Ashcroft should he go open draft) at the moment, but after that I feel Busslinger has a very legitimate claim to being the 3rd best prospect in the pool and could understand him getting taken top 5. Lemmey hasn't been what he was last year so far given he's just struggled to string games together due to H&S protocols, but if he can find his form in the champs/ second half of the season he could again be right in that conversation.

Scully, Cadman and Jefferson aren't locked in top 10 selections for me yet, I like what each has to bring but want to see it either a) more consistently or b) against a stronger standard of opposition, I'm waiting for the Champs to really go all in on any of them but they all have the tools to push up.

June Rankings
05.06.2022.PNG
June update, not much change really just some shifting around of those already in there.

I'll be the first to admit I probably understated Clark's impact early on in the season, have seen a few Geelong/ the Academy games since and there's just no faulting his work ethic and consistent application. I think a general lack of athleticism will see him slide somewhat come draft night but I'm now starting to wonder how many 'athletically gifted' mids are really in that first round bracket; Szybkowski, Ryan, Bevan, D'Aloia all aren't overly athletic but make up for it with smarts, disposal, craft or workrate, it will be interesting to see how these guys go in the next months at the Champs when going up against the likes of Wardlaw, Tsatas, Phillipou, etc. who have some easily identifiable athletic traits.

Almost all in on Cadman as I said earlier, can really only fault his goal kicking currently on form, and maybe size when projecting for the next level, but the kid has a lot of tricks to him and is pretty clearly the best athletically of the KPF options imo.

Keeler, D'Aloia, Teal, Bevan and Barnett were all close to making this top 20, D'Aloia in particular really impressed me during the Academy game, I've always said that seeing prospects for a full game in person is the best way to get a feel for them and D'Aloia is one of those players, not quite as scrappy or slow as I first believed and works hard both ways.

View attachment 1417308
June update, not much change really just some shifting around of those already in there.

I'll be the first to admit I probably understated Clark's impact early on in the season, have seen a few Geelong/ the Academy games since and there's just no faulting his work ethic and consistent application. I think a general lack of athleticism will see him slide somewhat come draft night but I'm now starting to wonder how many 'athletically gifted' mids are really in that first round bracket; Szybkowski, Ryan, Bevan, D'Aloia all aren't overly athletic but make up for it with smarts, disposal, craft or workrate, it will be interesting to see how these guys go in the next months at the Champs when going up against the likes of Wardlaw, Tsatas, Phillipou, etc. who have some easily identifiable athletic traits.

Almost all in on Cadman as I said earlier, can really only fault his goal kicking currently on form, and maybe size when projecting for the next level, but the kid has a lot of tricks to him and is pretty clearly the best athletically of the KPF options imo.

Keeler, D'Aloia, Teal, Bevan and Barnett were all close to making this top 20, D'Aloia in particular really impressed me during the Academy game, I've always said that seeing prospects for a full game in person is the best way to get a feel for them and D'Aloia is one of those players, not quite as scrappy or slow as I first believed and works hard both ways.
How far off is Lachie Cowan?

How far off is Lachie Cowan?
Not far really, if it was a top 30 he'd be in it

It's a dead horse excuse from me at this point but I'm hoping to see him really take charge at the Champs, I thought he was pretty apprehensive in the Academy game compared to his NAB League form, wasn't backing his long kicking as much and didn't run and carry to the extent we've seen him do in the past, but I'm a fan in general and back him in to have that form in the Champs. It'll also be a problem that he might just end up being left out of my top 20 due to the logjam of talent in that area, it's not that he's not as good as the others I considered but he's may not end up as valuable at the next level

Not far really, if it was a top 30 he'd be in it

It's a dead horse excuse from me at this point but I'm hoping to see him really take charge at the Champs, I thought he was pretty apprehensive in the Academy game compared to his NAB League form, wasn't backing his long kicking as much and didn't run and carry to the extent we've seen him do in the past, but I'm a fan in general and back him in to have that form in the Champs. It'll also be a problem that he might just end up being left out of my top 20 due to the logjam of talent in that area, it's not that he's not as good as the others I considered but he's may not end up as valuable at the next level
I see a midfielder down the track. you?

I see a midfielder down the track. you?
Yeah I've said before I think he'd make a really good winger at the next level with his two way running and just natural knack to play as that 'kick behind' sort of player, if a club sees themselves playing their wingers in a 'defensive' role then he's one that'd fill it well imo. With the lack of big modied mid types in the draft as well I reckon clubs may back themselves to convert him into one with a bit of a weights program, but I'd be more confident if we saw more of him in that role prior to the draft

View attachment 1417308

Do you see Phillipou as a genuine midfielder at AFL level? or more a forward/wing as I have heard other suggest.

If he has a big championships I could see Essendon being interested if he looks to be a 192cm marking midfielder

P.s Harley Reid can play
Harley Reid is an absolute gun, early days but looking top 3 in next years draft. Love what he can do.

Do you see Phillipou as a genuine midfielder at AFL level? or more a forward/wing as I have heard other suggest.

If he has a big championships I could see Essendon being interested if he looks to be a 192cm marking midfielder
I think he'll be a genuine onballer with time but will start his career as a forward not too dissimilar to Archie Perkins, even if he doesn't put on a huge amount of bulk he's just got a lot of tricks that hold him in good stead for midfield minutes, I'm sure saying he's got a basketball background will give you an idea of why.

Here's a test for you.

With the upcoming Nationals on the horizon how do you rank the VM, VC, SA, WA and Allies chances of coming out on top? 1 - 5 :think:
VM, SA, VC, WA, Allies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back