Police probe into 2004 Milne case investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

1999, Hawthorn FC: http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/4644-AFL-rape-case-revealed-in-Hawaii

1999, Brisbane FC, Early 2000's: Port Adelaide FC, Sydney FC: http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2004/s1100551.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/19/1079199373958.html

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2004/s1069962.htm

I wonder how many ********s supporting these clubs are happy to point he finger at Milne?

The 4 Corners report is effing disturbing considering it was 4 Lions players watching Heuskas go at it.. Oh, allegedly of course..

Another interesting article:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/how-...nder-stress-20100623-yz3m.html?skin=text-only

Early one Tuesday morning in 2004, the home telephone of St Kilda president Rod Butterss rang. It was just after 3am, and Saints coach Grant Thomas, who happened to live in the same Brighton street, was on the phone. ''Meet you at the gate,'' Thomas said. ''And bring your smokes.''

Brighton police had raided the Bayside home of Montagna, where the assault was alleged to have occurred.

''Where are they now?'' Butterss asked. ''In my house,'' Thomas replied.

The president walked up the street to confront the two himself. It was by now 3.30am and, after listening to their story, the Saints boss swung into action.

He made a call to Loreen Visser, a psychological counsellor who had been hired by the club to assist with the mental performance of players.

''I was in the thick of it that morning,'' Visser said. ''I heard what those two players had to say for themselves. I heard them interviewed by lawyers and by senior club officials. I also saw the text messages on their phones. It is my belief that consensual sex took place, but no sexual assault happened. ''I can also say there was never any suggestions of hiding what had happened by any senior official or coach of the club. I am quite emphatic about that. They followed the law, and in the end the two boys were ready to face court and defend themselves if charged."

Another interesting article:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/how-...nder-stress-20100623-yz3m.html?skin=text-only

Early one Tuesday morning in 2004, the home telephone of St Kilda president Rod Butterss rang. It was just after 3am, and Saints coach Grant Thomas, who happened to live in the same Brighton street, was on the phone. ''Meet you at the gate,'' Thomas said. ''And bring your smokes.''

Brighton police had raided the Bayside home of Montagna, where the assault was alleged to have occurred.

''Where are they now?'' Butterss asked. ''In my house,'' Thomas replied.

The president walked up the street to confront the two himself. It was by now 3.30am and, after listening to their story, the Saints boss swung into action.

He made a call to Loreen Visser, a psychological counsellor who had been hired by the club to assist with the mental performance of players.

''I was in the thick of it that morning,'' Visser said. ''I heard what those two players had to say for themselves. I heard them interviewed by lawyers and by senior club officials. I also saw the text messages on their phones. It is my belief that consensual sex took place, but no sexual assault happened. ''I can also say there was never any suggestions of hiding what had happened by any senior official or coach of the club. I am quite emphatic about that. They followed the law, and in the end the two boys were ready to face court and defend themselves if charged."
Took the age to report some common sense, opposed to the Tabliod-Sun.

Anybody noticed how The Age is reporting in fact, and not accusing either side of anything, while the Sun is trashing the players with their tabloid-eqsue headlines and BS journalism?

Anybody noticed how The Age is reporting in fact, and not accusing either side of anything, while the Sun is trashing the players with their tabloid-eqsue headlines and BS journalism?

Just a couple of ex coppers trying to grab their 15 minutes of fame 6 years after the fact. Those seduced by this ‘story’ i.e. the multitude of media groups and other do-gooders will be very disappointed when this all blows over.

Those who do know the facts are reluctant to say much publicly but this will go nowhere. It was one word against the other with nothing to substantiate either version. This will sell a few more papers and give some grubby journos and other so called experts more airtime but at what price to all those involved? The case was reviewed and signed off by the then head of the OPP who is now a highly respected Supreme Court judge. Surely if there was a cover up it would not be referred to the OPP.

Finally – I’m not usually a fan of the Age but at least they are being balanced in their reporting unlike that other rag and why the continual reference to Montagna? He was never at any stage a suspect and never at any stage accused of wrong doing.

On a lighter note any of you guys been fans of a band called TISM.

For you uni guys, I am sure you would appreciate the quote from the song:
"

:thumbsu: cheers kf - nice blast from the past there.

I'd reckon some of the "students" would probably go more along the lines of "I'm on the drugs (that killed River Phoenix)".

Some of the opposition supporters who've posted on this thread (most deleted) would no doubt be into "Defacate on my face".

My response is to you Collingwooood fans is:

[youtube]qA8gJoT5yl4[/youtube]

:thumbsu: cheers kf - nice blast from the past there.

I'd reckon some of the "students" would probably go more along the lines of "I'm on the drugs (that killed River Phoenix)".

Some of the opposition supporters who've posted on this thread (most deleted) would no doubt be into "Defacate on my face".

My response is to you Collingwooood fans is:

[youtube]qA8gJoT5yl4[/youtube]

Well done Squizz....loved the picking of the ass and then straight into the chips:thumbsu:

Great band and poets were TISM

it has been confirmed by the police that Now confirmed that their was a Brighton police officer working at St Kilda during this time. he was a Saints trainer or runner

Was reported on 3AW about 11:30 this morning.

A sergeant from teh Brighton Police Station (at the time) was also a part time runner/trainer at Stkilda - named Harms???

Is currently a Senior Sergeant in the Moorabbin Traffic department.

It's this guy, allegedly...

http://www.roadsafe.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=116

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it has been confirmed by the police that Now confirmed that their was a Brighton police officer working at St Kilda during this time. he was a Saints trainer or runner

Just more grist for the mill by gossip organisations with clear agendas-Channel 9, herald-sun, 3AW et. al. Ratings, ratings, more advertising money. Sad that a lot of people lap this kind of thing up

A sergeant from teh Brighton Police Station (at the time) was also a part time runner/trainer at Stkilda - named Harms???

Is currently a Senior Sergeant in the Moorabbin Traffic department.

It's this guy, allegedly...

http://www.roadsafe.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=116

Make sure you've got your members stickers on your cars if you get caught by the speed camera's. :D

I've seen City Homicide, and I know that the guys in Traffic have all the clout, then there is Homicide, and then Drugs, then there's those poor CIB guys who get all the stick from them.:D

Pretty classy thread. No finger pointing at the victim, and a genuine view that justice should be served, but through proper channels.

So I don't understand any call for Milne to clear his name. It is important to have faith in the judicial system and, police corruption aside, it would appear that Milne fully cooperated with the original investigation, and ultimately charges were not laid. So it would appear his name has been cleared so there is no need to "re-clear" his name in the absence of any significant new information.

The allegation that justice was not served is just an allegation at this stage. There is a lot to be confused about with this allegation, not least of all what possible motive a police officer would have for attempting to influence the original investigation. I find it impossible to believe that someone would put the club they support above the judicial system or a victim that would be terribly let down if that were the case.

Thanks for the sentiments, Go Blues, but what St Kilda supporters really want is to never hear one of our players (Andrew Lovett excepted) referred to as a rapist in our presence. Mud sticks.

This is, of course, predicated on no crime taking place.

Agree - we all should want justice (refer Baker), but to be honest there are just too many examples of interference to not look into it again. But again the story (that the police are investigating what should be an internal matter) has leaked to the media along with a number of "facts" - what's the difference to the leaking of information in 2004???

The references to the St Kilda players (why in particular is Montagna's name continually raised?) are pretty disgraceful. If the police did not present critical evidence, then sure there could be a case to answer. But has anyone even remotely suggested this is the case?

Thanks for the sentiments, Go Blues, but what St Kilda supporters really want is to never hear one of our players (Andrew Lovett excepted) referred to as a rapist in our presence. Mud sticks.

This is, of course, predicated on no crime taking place.

Sure, but unfortunately there is no cure for ignorance. People should be satisfied that the investigation was thorough and justice was served. In this particular case, I really hope (and expect) that is the case. Even if it is not, there is no implication that St Kilda players or staff were involved in any way and I don't really see how, at this stage, this should change anything. How unfortunate that the media think they can play god with peoples lives. The story here is the allegation of police corruption and the individuals involved are not at all material to this story and their names should be kept out of it.

Remember the huge headlines after it was found that StKilda didn't cheat the Salary cap when we had the clown from the Storm working there.

Whilst I'm sure the HS was disappointed their inflammatory headlines weren't fact, never mind - they just move onto the next muck-rake with equal gusto. There are enough simpletons and pimpletons to lap it up.

Whilst I'm sure the HS was disappointed their inflammatory headlines weren't fact, never mind - they just move onto the next muck-rake with equal gusto. There are enough simpletons and pimpletons to lap it up.

Salary cap cheating is one thing, but football writers should not be reporting on alleged rape stories. They do not have the subtlety, the integrity, or the empathy to deal with the complexities of the human emotions that this sort of story creates. On one hand you have a victim who may have had their life destroyed, and on the other hand you have the accused who may at least have had their career destroyed and all of this before the HUN or whoever else has let the judicial system, that is the backbone of this country, run its course. I hate the way these sexual misconduct cases involving football are reported like it were sport. These guys simply do not have the capacity to write about stuff this sensitive.

Salary cap cheating is one thing, but football writers should not be reporting on alleged rape stories. They do not have the subtlety, the integrity, or the empathy to deal with the complexities of the human emotions that this sort of story creates. On one hand you have a victim who may have had their life destroyed, and on the other hand you have the accused who may at least have had their career destroyed and all of this before the HUN or whoever else has let the judicial system, that is the backbone of this country, run its course. I hate the way these sexual misconduct cases involving football are reported like it were sport. These guys simply do not have the capacity to write about stuff this sensitive.

The analogy to sport is so true. Even hearing the self-promoting ads for Channel 9 I shudder.

"We're the first to get the story" - is it journalism or a foot race?

As SS mentioned, it doesn't seem to matter whether there is much foundation to the story or who gets impacted as a result.

And how many times have you seen a headline that screams a terrible act, then you read the story and think "what was that headline all about?".

I recall the HS leaked that they had a "big story" coming, and then went with something like "Saints Sex Scandal" and then have tried to string the thing out by interviewing the girl's mother?

The stories imply so many things about so many people as you say GB. Never tends to end well for any of the parties (aside from the media and the lawyers).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back