Prediction (POLL) Who's on your shortlist at #23?

Who are your 3 options for pick #23?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see a ruckman being close to BAP @ 23.

Was being facetious but our midfield and runner/user stocks are so shallow I would hope the BAP (nice) approach is tempered this year.

I do not want us bidding on a 191cm Qld academy defensive back pocket with a 2nd round pick just because he was rarely beaten by other NEAFL kids..

Was being facetious but our midfield and runner/user stocks are so shallow I would hope the BAP (nice) approach is tempered this year.

I do not want us bidding on a 191cm Qld academy defensive back pocket with a 2nd round pick just because he was rarely beaten by other NEAFL kids..

I think a lot of this type of thinking is really a hangover from the Laidley era.

I think a lot of this type of thinking is really a hangover from the Laidley era.

In the respect of poor recruiting in general or poor player type selection?

Fwiw I think our recruiting has been reasonable over the last decade especially in terms of our picks positions. There aren't any clear howlers.

In the respect of poor recruiting in general or poor player type selection?

Fwiw I think our recruiting has been reasonable over the last decade especially in terms of our picks positions. There aren't any clear howlers.

Player type selection.

Look, if Brander or Balta was available at 23, then I wouldn't be pissed if the club picked them up, as opposed to some spec pick taken purely on the basis that they were quick. It looks to be a very skinny draft to me. I don't get enthused about too much past the first 12-15 players.

Cam Joyce accepts you challenge.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Player type selection.

Look, if Brander or Balta was available at 23, then I wouldn't be pissed if the club picked them up, as opposed to some spec pick taken purely on the basis that they were quick. It looks to be a very skinny draft to me. I don't get enthused about too much past the first 12-15 players.

If it's as thin as you suggest then wouldn't mind us going for one of those "excitement machine" types to give us something to get us excited over next year which is shaping up as being rather arduous. Liam Ryan for example.

Player type selection.

Getting the picks right past the first round is what wins you flags. I can see what you're saying in that it is basically a lucky dip.
I think most supporters and myself have been impressed with a lot of our later picks. Players like dumont, Clarke, hibbered, wood, mountford, etc have all shown a bit from day dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys who I see us considering at 23, and who would be a chance to be available would be:

Ed Richards
Lochie O'Brien
Lachlan Fogarty
Zac Bailey
Mathew Ling
Jack Petruccelle
Tim Kelly
Noah Balta
Joel Garner

Question is obviously how we'd rank them, and obviously not all will be available but I reckon its a good chance we end up with one of those boys. Personally, out of those guys I'd be most keen on O'Brien, Fogarty, Bailey and Kelly at this point.

Guys who I see us considering at 23, and who would be a chance to be available would be:

Ed Richards
Lochie O'Brien
Lachlan Fogarty
Zac Bailey
Mathew Ling
Jack Petruccelle
Tim Kelly
Noah Balta
Joel Garner

Question is obviously how we'd rank them, and obviously not all will be available but I reckon its a good chance we end up with one of those boys. Personally, out of those guys I'd be most keen on O'Brien, Fogarty, Bailey and Kelly at this point.
This would be my order

Lochie O'Brien
Ed Richards
Noah Balta
Lachlan Fogarty
Joel Garner
Tim Kelly
Zac Bailey
Mathew Ling
Jack Petruccelle

Last edited:
Getting the picks right past the first round is what wins you flags. I can see what you're saying in that it is basically a lucky dip.
I think most supporters and myself have been impressed with a lot of our later picks. Players like dumont, Clarke, hibbered, wood, mountford, etc have all shown a bit from day dot.

That's all good and well mate, but sometimes there is just bugger all past the 1st round.

Look no further than the 2005 draft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_AFL_draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed Richards
Lochie O'Brien
Lachlan Fogarty
Zac Bailey
Mathew Ling
Jack Petruccelle
Tim Kelly
Noah Balta
Joel Garner

if obrien, Fogarty and Richards are gone - I hope we go for bailey. He reminds me of Sloane with the way he moves n plays.
Don't want any talls or flaky outside mids that get sub 15 touches at this pick

That's all good and well mate, but sometimes there is just bugger all past the 1st round.

Look no further than the 2005 draft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_AFL_draft

You seem like a glass half empty sort of guy.
We have a lot of young talent coming through and most of that is from players picked outside the first round. Mainly due to the fact that's all we have had to pick from (apart from McDonald) since Cunnington almost 10 years ago.
Obviously the further down the order you go the luckier you need to get. But it's not just luck, it's having the people in place who can identify talent better than other clubs. I think we have done a reasonable job with the picks we have had since the expansion clubs came in.

You seem like a glass half empty sort of guy.

If anything I am an optimist.

We have a lot of young talent coming through and most of that is from players picked outside the first round. Mainly due to the fact that's all we have had to pick from (apart from McDonald) since Cunnington almost 10 years ago.
Obviously the further down the order you go the luckier you need to get. But it's not just luck, it's having the people in place who can identify talent better than other clubs. I think we have done a reasonable job with the picks we have had since the expansion clubs came in.

You seem to be overlooking that fact that I was referring to this seasons draft and our particular needs.

You seem to be overlooking that fact that I was referring to this seasons draft and our particular needs.

Your original post was stated in past tense which led me to believe that was your opinion for this draft and previous drafts.
Moving on

I'd suggest O'Brien sticks out massively as being possibly available at 23.

However, we have had it up to our eyeballs with injuries, and I'd be extremely wary of any injuries from that pick. I don't think I'm looking to roll the dice at all.

So for me I'm looking at Ling and Bailey.

I know it would require a minor miracle, as Twomey rates him at 10, and the "Draft Machine" at 8-20, BUT there is always a slider or two and we should be able to find one at 23....Coffield would be ideal for us, shame we couldn't upgrade #23, but never know

Thinking if we get Stephenson we go with a mid like Spargo/Bailey/Fogarty but if Dow slides or we prefer Cerra or even Brayshaw we should take a punt on Charlie Ballard. His upside is huge.

After Constable's poor 2K time at mini combine today Ive updated the poll to include him as an option.

Please feel free to adjust your votes.

I wouldn't mind slightly reaching for Andrew McPherson. If he gets his body right then he sounds like a pretty safe selection with a lot of upside.

Apart from him, it's hard to get excited about anyone in this range. Bailey, Fogarty, Moore, Daniels and Spargo all look quality, but you'd ideally want them all to be a bit taller. Stoddart also looks good, but that would honestly be the most boring selection of all time.

Back