Port Adelaide Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
When something is dead, you do an autopsy, right?

Well I am no medical examiner, though I have my suspicions.

Moreso though, it's time to remember that which is no longer with us. If anyone wants to share what the PAFC meant them, please do.

I got my first membership, as a kid, 1998. It was a gift from a friend that umpires local footy with my dad. He was a local footballer in his youth, a good one. He went to Port and played in the under 19s and reserves. He would have moved up the ranks too, but unfortunately he was in a bad car accident, that affected physically but also mentally. His football career was over before it begun.

So, as most mentally deficient do, he moved back to Broken Hill and took up umpiring.

Anyway, yeah, I don't remember how I came to follow Port, but I did. Like I don't remember when I first seen a Star Wars film. I just did, and it was always there. Since that year, I had intermittent membership, until 2011. Now a grown up, apparently, I made a commitment when the club was at its lowest ebb. I would not be part of the problem. I would do what I could. So I joined up, in the dark years, and stayed that way.

Until around 2019, when I had seen enough. For reasons explained by others elsewhere, better than I. It wasn't easy. I wasn't happy about it. I thought it had to be done though. They didn't earn it anymore.

Then, remarkably, they somehow did. I was back midway through 2020. 2021. 2022.

I won't be back for 2023. Maybe even beyond. My first full season of not being a member in over a decade.

And I've never felt happier about it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Control of the club being taken from us was what killed the club. That's the long and the short of it. A club that built it's legacy on ruthless accountability, having someone in charge answerable to nobody unless they ruin the club financially is a recipe for disaster, and that's exactly the point we've reached.

Control of the club being taken from us was what killed the club. That's the long and the short of it. A club that built it's legacy on ruthless accountability, having someone in charge answerable to nobody unless they ruin the club financially is a recipe for disaster, and that's exactly the point we've reached.
This right here. We need to move heaven and earth to change this.
7/9 of the board positions must be member elected (ideally all of them) & we should have the right to spill the board.

I started following the club as a kid in 1975, nears 50 years ago. I'm still a big Port fan, but used to be rabid (just ask my crow-supporter brother).

The club is sick, no doubt, but it's not dead. It will take a lot more than Hinkley and Koch to kill it.

I'm despondent, exhausted from being angry for so long, but I'm not going anywhere.

We need an institutionalized space to establish actions towards the club and its members. Only an official vehicle backed by both quantity and quality of people can make an actual push for accountability.

It’s time to create a Supporters’ Association — an organization to help preserving the spirit of Port Adelaide F.C.

P.S.: Here, this kind of association is usually called “Friends of (Name) Society”. But you would know a more Aussie name for it.

P.P.S.: The “Black&White Noise”, perhaps? 🤔 […] No? Ok. I was just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back