Port Adelaide Player Of The Year Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 11, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide - SANFL
The BigFooty Port Player Of The Year Round 1 votes have been tallied.

There were 260 votes overall which is quite a lot (a good thing!!).

The end voting minus the weighting was:

92 - Wanganeen
37 - P Burgoyne
37 - K Cornes
31 - Hardwick
24 - Montgomery
22 - Stevens
13 - Tredrea
11 - Thurstans
7 - Paxman
6 - Pickett
4 - Salopek
3 - Francou
2 - Cassisi
1 - Lade

With the weighting (which meant 100 total votes were given out) the results look:

32 - Wanganeen
13 - P Burgoyne
13 - K Cornes
11 - Hardwick
8 - Montgomery
8 - Stevens
4 - Thurstans
4 - Tredrea
2 - Paxman
2 - Pickett
1 - Salopek
1 - Cassisi
1 - Francou
0 - Lade

lade is on 0.38...rounded down to 0. The decimals are kept so if he scores another 0.38 he'll end up with a rounded up vote.

Just found 2 slight errors here. Gavin Wanganeen scored 87, not 92. All the other scores are correct. And the total no of votes are in fact 285. Which means 285/15=19 people voted. So the new lists are :

minus the weighing:

87 - Wanganeen
37 - P Burgoyne
37 - K Cornes
31 - Hardwick
24 - Montgomery
22 - Stevens
13 - Tredrea
11 - Thurstans
7 - Paxman
6 - Pickett
4 - Salopek
3 - Francou
2 - Cassisi
1 - Lade

with the weighing :

32 - Wanganeen
13 - P Burgoyne
13 - K Cornes
11 - Hardwick
8 - Montgomery
8 - Stevens
4 - Tredrea
4 - Thurstans
2 - Paxman
2 - Pickett
1 - Salopek
1 - Cassisi
1 - Francou
0 - Lade

Not much difference at all. The second list is exactly the same. The only differences are the total votes and Wanganeen's total score.

5- Nick Stevens, 37 posessions, had a great last half the only let down was missing a crucial goal with mins to go after we had all the momentum. He plays his best against the Hawks so next it's likely he can go out to a charging lead in th BFPAPPOTTY.
4- Gav Wanganeen, great game again and on target for his best year yet.
3- Chad Cornes, pity he didn't hang onto a few more marks later in the game and finish off a few goals, he was one stand out in a forward line of wasted opportunities tonight
2- Matty Primus, He dominated the first half, the pathetic ruck rule costed him on occassions but he still destroyed the Brisbane rucks, it's the first game i can remeber him being so dominant and us still losing
1- Dean Bogan, stood up in the last half when Matty seemed to be a bit sore, once he starts hanging onto a few more marks he could maybe be a Key forward.

Apologies to S.Burgoyne and Poults.
Junior was sensational at times but needs to finish off more, that miss in the third quarter was costly turning a 1 goal margin into a three goal margin down the other end. Poults commitment tonight was great, and good to see Thurstans showing his presence although a stupid kick by him started a 7 goal Brisbane onslaught. I was happy to see Pickett also laying a tackle instead of a bump, hopefully we get Tredders back soon and our set shot kicking improves.

5 - Stevens - Incredible work rate, probably his best game against the toughest the league can throw up to him.

4 - Wanganeen - Marshall of the defence

3 - Primus - Comprehensively won the ruck to at least give us a chance to win the ball at ground level, one of his better games against the Lions, highlight was swooping on the ball on the wing and spearing a pass to Broges.

2 - Bishop - Gave Brown pretty much nothing all game in the air

1 - Paxman - Gave Bradshaw/Lynch nothing either. Beat Lynch in all the goal square wrestles.

Honourable mentions: Cochrane did well in his time on Voss. Cornes top first quarter however the possessions faded but the effort never does. James for 80 minutes skill and toughness, primed to take Francou's role. Burgoyne explosive around goals.

5 Nick Stevens - he's basically one of those flat escalators you get in airports. Kept sending the ball forward relentlessly.
4 Jared Poulton - heart, and some skill. Great game, and interrupted a lot of plays that would've been important to Brisbane.
3 Chad Cornes - Great first half, poor second half when he had a KPP on him. Chad plays tall, but not that tall.
2 Matthew Primus - Good effort to get the ball out as often as he did.
1 Kane Cornes - An excellent tagging job on a player that always kills us in Black, deserves a vote for my money.

Bishop and Thurstans unlucky to miss out.

5. Nick Stevens
4. Gavin Wanganeen
3. Chad Cornes
2. Matty Primus
1. Jared Poulton

5 - Nick Stevens. Difficult to go past 37 possessions and really stood up after the loss of Josh Francou.

4. - Matty Primus. Huge effort to carry the greater part of the ruckload again.

3. - Gavin Wanganeen. Provided plenty of run out of defence and prevented goals with his sheer determination and last-minute tackles.

2. - S.Burgoyne. At last allowed to show his running skills and long-kicking upfield. A bit of bad kicking for goal took some gloss off.

1. - J.Poulton. Provided the determination that was needed early and kept getting the bal forward.

Chad Cornes could have got some votes after his first quarter effort, and if Tredrea had stayed on and drawn Leppitsch he probably would. But 8 possessions and 3 marks in the last 3 quarters told against him.

5. Nick Stevens
4. Gavin Wanganeen
3. Chad Cornes
2. Stephen Paxman
1. Matthew Bishop

Many others could have received votes compared to last week.

After my "don't think he can make it" comment I was impressed with Stuart Cochrane's tagging of Michael Voss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 - Stevens.....after the bagging I gave him last week it was good to see he took notice of what I said......;)
4 - Primus........dominated and controlled the ruck contests......also loved that pick up and weave he did just like a player half his size......
3 - Wanganeen........the Gav of old is back to his best
2 - Cochrane.......can't believed I've picked the 2 players i bagged last week - stopped Voss's influence on the game despite what the media circus said
1 - K Cornes - a great negating job on one of Brisbane's best mid fielder.......

Unlucky to miss out in my votes were Brogan, Paxman, Bishop, Poulton and many others........a great game by the whole team and would have been a win against any other team in the comp despite the injuries........

5. Wanganeen -- near perfection; must be wonderful to play with him in a side.
4. Stevens -- seems to have much more confidence in his teammates this year.
3. C. Cornes -- would easily have been BOG if Tredrea hadn't gone off, freeing up Leppitsch.
2. James -- great that he's in such good form: we're gonna need him.
1. S. Burgoyne -- the lad lifted.

Che had a wonderful first quarter. Also apologies to Poults, Primus (who answered all the rucking questions:)), many others. Apparently K. Cornes was brilliant in shutting down Black, but not much of that was visible over the television.

BFPAPOTY Round 2 Results

Ok here are teh Round 2 results for the BFPAPOTY

There were 255 votes this week.

Raw Votes:
88 - Stevens
62 - Wanganeen
29 - Primus
24 - Chad Cornes
19 - Poulton
12 - Kane Cornes
10 - Brogan
9 - S Burgoyne
9 - Paxman
4 - Bishop
2 - Cochrane
2 - James

Weighted Votes:
33 - Stevens
23 - Wanganeen
11 - Primus
9 - Chad Cornes
7 - Poulton
4 - Brogan
4 - Kane Cornes
3 - S Burgoyne
3 - Paxman
2 - Bishop
1 - Cochrane
1 - James

BFPAPOTY Leaderboard:

53 - Wanganeen
40 - Stevens
17 - K Cornes
13 - P Burgoyne
11 - Hardwick
11 - Primus
9 - C Cornes
8 - Montgomery
7 - Poulton
6 - Paxman
5 - Tredrea
4 - Brogan
4 - Thurstans
3 - S Burgoyne
2 - Bishop
2 - Pickett
1 - Cassisi
1 - Cochrane
1 - James
1 - Salopek
0 - Lade

Big gap at the top with Wanganeen and Stevens pulling away from the rest of the squad early on.

lets hope some of the injuired guys come back and get some points, i would like to see things close!

This sticky should be for the final weekly tallies only, otherwise we will end up with about 500 replies by the end of round 22.
Just thought it would be good for Macca to post his weekly and total tallies all on one sticky thread.

Originally posted by PAfolwr
This sticky should be for the final weekly tallies only, otherwise we will end up with about 500 replies by the end of round 22.
Just thought it would be good for Macca to post his weekly and total tallies all on one sticky thread.

Does it really matter as all you have to do is open up the last page...........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back