Review Port def Bulldogs 86 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's not kid ourselves, Dixon isn't playing SANFL for too long.

He's a major asset to the team, regardless of whether we're long bombing to him all day or not. It's up to the other forwards to take advantage of his presence.

If nothing else, it will mean that we aren't relying on SPP to give Hayes a rest in ruck.

Chad Cornes didn't love the games of Aliir and Clurey. Their contest and intent to defend was nowhere near it needed to be.

Chad Cornes didn't love the games of Aliir and Clurey. Their contest and intent to defend was nowhere near it needed to be.
Alir seemed a bit off last Friday, he wasn't judging his marks at all. I'm a Tommy fan and yes I realized that he also an indifferent night. However the back line is a team and the boys on a downer were being covered by their team mates. Bonner was exceptional. Hope he's OK.

Chad talked about the self-reports the players do on their own games. Aliir and Clurey were really down on their performances. Zak Butters also marked himself harshly.

Kane and Hayes asked him if there were any players who really talked themselves up in their self-report even when the coaches thought they were not so good. Chad admitted there was one player but wouldn't elaborate who.

He did say Fantasia would be back in the next couple of weeks.

Alir seemed a bit off last Friday, he wasn't judging his marks at all.

He was always just a fraction off with his timing on marks and spoils. Possibly the effect of having his feet jabbed before the game? Or just still a little hesitant from his injury.

Bonner called for it. I know there is a lot of love for Bonner atm but this is how he gets at least 50% of his possessions which I believe is a coaching directive. He often calls for it and looks to where he wants to deliver before actually taking the ball. I can remember 2 direct goals against us from it this year. I really don't think anyone should be handing off to Bonner around the attacking 50m arc, he's never shown goal kicking nouse.
Nah I had a birds eye view on that one Bonner wasn’t expecting it. I agree that Bonner calls for the ball often (he’s really freaking loud when he does it and it used to drive me nuts as often he’d call for it when he shouldn’t) but he’s better now at finding space. He’s been a reliable kick in the past and it’s usually him, Burton or Houston to make that kick on the run but on that occasion Ollie had convinced us all (including Bonner) that he was taking the shot.

Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs​

8 Aaron Naughton (WB)
8 Travis Boak (PORT)
8 Todd Marshall (PORT)
2 Jack Macrae (WB)
2 Connor Rozee (PORT)
2 Jeremy Finlayson (PORT)

Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs​

8 Aaron Naughton (WB)
8 Travis Boak (PORT)
8 Todd Marshall (PORT)
2 Jack Macrae (WB)
2 Connor Rozee (PORT)
2 Jeremy Finlayson (PORT)

If the votes are given on a 5 through 1 rating by both coaches then these tallies aren't possible.

If the votes are given on a 5 through 1 rating by both coaches then these tallies aren't possible.
5 3
5 3
4 4
1 1

Edit. No it’s correct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes they are.

5. Naughton
4. Boak
3. Marshall
2. Macrae
1. Rozee

5. Marshall
4. Boak
3. Naughton
2. Finlayson
1. Rozee

Likely news to no one but ugly footage of DBJ shirking 3 contests shown On The Couch.
A lot did it in the pre lim, even the loved Ryan Burton. It’s acceptable in our team culture by the looks

Likely news to no one but ugly footage of DBJ shirking 3 contests shown On The Couch.

When he first came into the side you could see he wasn't very skilled, but what he did have going for him was courage. If he's lost that then there really isn't much to offer

Chad talked about the self-reports the players do on their own games. Aliir and Clurey were really down on their performances. Zak Butters also marked himself harshly.

Kane and Hayes asked him if there were any players who really talked themselves up in their self-report even when the coaches thought they were not so good. Chad admitted there was one player but wouldn't elaborate who.

He did say Fantasia would be back in the next couple of weeks.
Byrne-Jones for mine.

Example: There was a moment where he and Powell-Pepper were caught in a stalemate as to who was going to man the mark - Byrne-Jones was closer to the mark than Pep was and Pep was going to drop back and cover another Bulldogs player (he was already on his way to cover), but Byrne-Jones obviously pulled rank and told Pep to come up and stand the mark. In the confusion, the ball goes to the free Bulldogs player that Byrne-Jones couldn't get to in time because he was too far away (but Pep would have defended just fine).

Total Football says that the closest person to the mark, mans the mark. It also says that you need to trust your teammates to do their job when it comes to defending. Darcy did neither at that moment. It showed poor strategy, poor leadership, selfishness, arrogance and an overestimation of his ability as a defender. And it was the only time during the game which made me swear.

Last year I said I wasnt overly enthusiastic at drafting him as he will probably be a depth player.

But I also said if he does what Mahoney did in 2004 and be a good depth player, goes and uses his experience at the Maggies help out tje kids there, but also when we have injury issues then he could do a Mahoney and become a regular player as he has good experience and skills, and will be a plug and play type player.

Dont think he is quick enough to regularly play wing but we are using him at stoppages as he is good in there and hard at it.

Has done some excellent work in packs that you easily miss at games and only pick up on replays.

Keeps playing like he has the last 3 weeks, he could well make the best 22 when we have no injuries.

Mmmm. If his leg gets back to anything approaching normal there’s no reason why he can’t — was such an underrated jack-of-all-trades mid at NM and still only just about to turn 27.

Reminds me a bit of Nathan Jones.

Give him a role, any role, and he’ll give 100% en route to a bare minimum 7 out of 10 performance. If he does even better, you’re laughing.

The Weightman non play on was one of the worst decisions I've seen. Especially when they starting pinging people for taking a step off of their line.
The one where he clearly played on and was actually accelerating when he was tackled and brought to ground?

That was as good an example of total umpiring incompetence as you'll see. It was either holding the ball or a 50m penalty.

The one where he clearly played on and was actually accelerating when he was tackled and brought to ground?

That was as good an example of total umpiring incompetence as you'll see. It was either holding the ball or a 50m penalty.
It was in the back? That's why the kick was taken where Weightman was tackled, not where he played on from?

At this level and with zone defenses and presses you simply cant just hit and hope to clear the ball out of your area anymore. I think i witnessed him do this three times in a row on Saturday. I hate the fact it seems once you reach the leadership group you are an auto selection. Between him and Jonas it is becoming embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back