Review Port def Bulldogs 86 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

That was exciting. I still don’t think we’re going anywhere this season but the development of a few of our young players has been exciting.

The game of Aussie rules is at its best and most entertaining when kfs are doing there thing. Watching naughton and Marshall last night is as good as this sport gets.

Boak - keeps on keeping on. Gun.

Finlayson - very strong game. 3 goals. Has that knack of getting goals that we normally watch other kfs get against us and absolutely drives us bonkers.

Bonner - was on track for a monster game. His importance to our side is underrated. Has really come on and hopefully the injury isn’t too bad.

Wines - good game but still not back to his best

Marshall - yeah yeah yeah oh fu** yeah. Absolute dominance in the air that turned the game. Won it for us in the 3rd Qtr.

4 contested marks 2 goals, 2 goal assists (should have been 3 ffs ollie) 8 marks

Just had a real arrogance about him as well. I also love how hard he’s hitting people in tackles. Underrated how quick his mind is at making decisions too. He’s having a great year.

Dbj - eh. Some stuff to like but it’s not near the level I would like.

Rozee - good game from rozee. 21d but 6 clearances is the difference maker. We needed something different in there and rozee has brought it. We need to keep developing him in there.

Dumont - really nice performance. Good balanced game. He knows he is a complementary piece and played that role well last night.

Drew - solid game

Houston - not a massive game but still propelled us forward from the back half and chopped plays off

Motlop - had a couple of great moments and almost moments but also had some horrible blunders

Butters - eh. Just hasn’t been quite right since he took some early hits in the season. Some nice spark in bits but not enough. Why is it we only seem to have 1 of rozee and butters on at a time?

Alir - Hinkley is a dumb campaigner. Clurey should have been on naughton from the start with Alir helping, not the other way around. Hinkley made that switch eventually but imagine if you had to explain to a pilot how to fly after he’s already taken off?

Hayes - yeah. Got to love having a quality tap ruckman. 37 hitouts. Martin was a dirty grub who was playing judo instead of football and should have been called out for it by the umps. Hayes gets bonus points for the hilarity of watching that campaigner weightman injure himself trying to hit Hayes. fu** weightman is a moron. I would love to compare Hayes season to a player currently the same age as him but he’s the youngest first ruck in the league. And his numbers compare well to the very best rucks in the league.

Burton - solid game from the ever reliable burton

Amon - couple of average moments but his kicking absolutely cut the dogs to shreds last night.

Jonas - I don’t know what to say about his game cause I don’t ever remember seeing him? Did he do a really good shutdown job on someone? Or did he sit on the field eating grass all game? Who knows. What I do know is that clurey and Alir stood naughton all night and the dogs don’t have any other forwards worth a damn but Jonas still took fu** all intercept marks. Why wasn’t he drifting across and cutting every kick (which was going to the same place?) off? When we used to play only one good kf in the Dixon gray / Neade days park footballers took record intercept marks v us but Jonas can’t seem to do that ffs. Where is the Jonas that used to take intercept marks? He’s been no where to be seen this year. At the age of 31 why are we persisting with him when there’s a key defender dominating sanfl waiting for his shot? Oh yeah… Hinkley.

Spp- shocked to find out he only had 8d. That’s not enough of it but he seemed to have way more impact than that. 2 goals and some really good plays in there. Having a very good year. Absolutely loved the arrogance to stand under that mark v 3 dogs in the goal square and take it.

Gray - class. Honestly, we need to draft small/medium forwards en masse over the next couple of years.

Clurey - meh. Rough day at the office playing against arguably the best kf in the league.

Georgiades- Jesus he has the yips. 0.4. He’s way down on form but he’s still very young, there’s nothing broken, he just needs time. Do we back him in at afl level or send him to sanfl? I don’t know to be honest. I might prefer kfs to develop in the afl side, it’s the proven way to develop them but could also understand if a week or 2 at sanfl level to get some easy goals might help him get over those yips. I just wouldn’t want him down there for too long.

Duursma - I saw some stuff I liked but 12d is so little of the ball for a player who is a hard running accumulator. We’ve kinda screwed up his development a bit, also hasn’t been quite right since that injury. Needs time and will come good I think. He’s a quality running accumulator and we need to focus on getting that out of him rather than trying to turn him into something else this early

Big effort and a very good rundown. You've made almost 40 points and I can't disagree with any.

Two recruits that we picked up on the cheap are showing their worth. We picked up Dumont at pick 14 in the rookie draft. We traded a future 3rd round pick for Finlayson.

I think he’s a bit more than a vanilla style player. Has footy smarts and goes in hard. He’s gone up in my estimation. And Finlayson is playing his role quite nicely. Kudos to the recruiting team.

Finlayson IMO is going to let us down against good teams and in big moments. He had that sort of flat track bully reputation at GWS. He seems like a nice guy though and is probably good depth when everyone is fit and firing (Dixon is not fit and MG is not firing).

Dumont though has been excellent. I think people pigeon holed him as that vanilla depth player from another club ala Mayes but you're right, he's better than that.

Someone finally told Todd to start eating his Sandwiches.

Boak is hungry to play 400+ games before calling time

SPP doesn't need a lot of it to make every involvement count

Georgiades is lucky Dixon isn't available otherwise he could've been facing a drop based on that set shot accuracy alone.

Rozee isn't going to be a 30 disposal game player every week, but I'm happy with his 20+ at 85% efficiency as opposed to 30+ at only 50%, we have enough guys that put up stats like that as it is.

Motlop still has a decent skillset but had some bad brain fades during a few moments in that game, still don't think he'll make it beyond this year.

Clurey was poor on Naughton, then again, even McKenzie struggled to keep up with him in last year's prelim, so maybe its just another case of our defence suiting his tactics.

Overall a solid way to attempt getting the season back on track, hoping that next week we can get a percentage boost of some kind.

Geelong at Geelong in two weeks is gonna be the real challenge. Mind you, Norf might randomly choose to play their seasonal GF performance against us, again... so slow down for nobody and no excuses!

The last ten years as a Port supporter in one schizo play:

Ollie launches a desperate flying tackle.
Wins holding the ball.
Goes back and lines up from fiddy.
F yeah, u think, he's taking it upon himself.
Gonna kick an inspirational, team-lifting goal.
Plot twist:
Handballs to a flat-footed Riley Bonner.
Who totally wasn't expecting it.
Under the pump, he pretty much kicks into the man on the mark.

Classic Ports farken, lol

View attachment 1394053

Bonner called for it. I know there is a lot of love for Bonner atm but this is how he gets at least 50% of his possessions which I believe is a coaching directive. He often calls for it and looks to where he wants to deliver before actually taking the ball. I can remember 2 direct goals against us from it this year. I really don't think anyone should be handing off to Bonner around the attacking 50m arc, he's never shown goal kicking nouse.

The record books will show last night's free kick count at 26 frees to each side but it was the free kicks that we didn't get that we have cause to gripe about. As an example that mark paid to Naughton on the 3/4 time siren after he gave Clurey a two handed push in the back was a travesty. As was the free kick not paid to Finlayson in the last quarter when he was hit head high in crude attempt to fly for a mark by a Bulldog player. Latter in the last Sam Hayes won a free for a high hit that was no where near as severe.

I do not usually came away whinging about umpires but last night, despite the free kick count, they were plain incompetent at times. Some time today I will take a look at the replay and change my mind if necessary but I suspect the replay will confirm my first impressions.

I was watching with a Bulldogs supporter at work. When McCrae got tackled around the waist and threw his head back as though Mike Tyson had just uppercut him I asked if it pissed him off that his team were constantly doing it.

"What's you're problem with it? We didn't get a free kick from it. It's not illegal to put mayo on"

"Ahhh yes it is, it's staging and a reportable offence"

It shits me how often they threw their heads back in tackles tonight and they shouldn't be getting away with it.

I was watching with a Bulldogs supporter at work. When McCrae got tackled around the waist and threw his head back as though Mike Tyson had just uppercut him I asked if it pissed him off that his team were constantly doing it.

"What's you're problem with it? We didn't get a free kick from it. It's not illegal to put mayo on"

"Ahhh yes it is, it's staging and a reportable offence"

It shits me how often they threw their heads back in tackles tonight and they shouldn't be getting away with it.

If the fkwit umpiring department keep paying them they'll continue to do it.

Oops sorry we have a umpire shortage. I'll rephrase that. " It's a tough job"

The lack of function in the forward line is in large past about the way we choose to play upfield and the quality of forward entries (cluster fu** ideas like Mayes at FF to one side).

The quick play-on option from the likes of Rozee et al is sooo far ken obvious it's ridiculous it hasn't been a thing for years.

We're consigned to an eternity of old mate learning on the job and being obscenely paid on his treacle slow journey

to self awareness. This car hunt has got us by the balls. Even as we speak ya just know cocky Kochie is clearing his

throat to gargle Kenny's gonads and the class-less talking head won't be able to resist a dig at those of us who

hate Ken's guts and use facts to support our view.

* I love watching on ball Rozee, he’s so clever. Set 2 goals up with smart handballs. The boak goal in the 3rd was set up when Rozee was on the ground, didn’t panic to get rid of it and found the best option. It was RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Most players would’ve given the easy option that would’ve had the team mate tackled as soon as he got the ball.
Kids a jet, absolutely the player we thought we were getting!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was exciting. I still don’t think we’re going anywhere this season but the development of a few of our young players has been exciting.

The game of Aussie rules is at its best and most entertaining when kfs are doing there thing. Watching naughton and Marshall last night is as good as this sport gets.

Boak - keeps on keeping on. Gun.

Finlayson - very strong game. 3 goals. Has that knack of getting goals that we normally watch other kfs get against us and absolutely drives us bonkers.

Bonner - was on track for a monster game. His importance to our side is underrated. Has really come on and hopefully the injury isn’t too bad.

Wines - good game but still not back to his best

Marshall - yeah yeah yeah oh fu** yeah. Absolute dominance in the air that turned the game. Won it for us in the 3rd Qtr.

4 contested marks 2 goals, 2 goal assists (should have been 3 ffs ollie) 8 marks

Just had a real arrogance about him as well. I also love how hard he’s hitting people in tackles. Underrated how quick his mind is at making decisions too. He’s having a great year.

Dbj - eh. Some stuff to like but it’s not near the level I would like.

Rozee - good game from rozee. 21d but 6 clearances is the difference maker. We needed something different in there and rozee has brought it. We need to keep developing him in there.

Dumont - really nice performance. Good balanced game. He knows he is a complementary piece and played that role well last night.

Drew - solid game

Houston - not a massive game but still propelled us forward from the back half and chopped plays off

Motlop - had a couple of great moments and almost moments but also had some horrible blunders

Butters - eh. Just hasn’t been quite right since he took some early hits in the season. Some nice spark in bits but not enough. Why is it we only seem to have 1 of rozee and butters on at a time?

Alir - Hinkley is a dumb campaigner. Clurey should have been on naughton from the start with Alir helping, not the other way around. Hinkley made that switch eventually but imagine if you had to explain to a pilot how to fly after he’s already taken off?

Hayes - yeah. Got to love having a quality tap ruckman. 37 hitouts. Martin was a dirty grub who was playing judo instead of football and should have been called out for it by the umps. Hayes gets bonus points for the hilarity of watching that campaigner weightman injure himself trying to hit Hayes. fu** weightman is a moron. I would love to compare Hayes season to a player currently the same age as him but he’s the youngest first ruck in the league. And his numbers compare well to the very best rucks in the league.

Burton - solid game from the ever reliable burton

Amon - couple of average moments but his kicking absolutely cut the dogs to shreds last night.

Jonas - I don’t know what to say about his game cause I don’t ever remember seeing him? Did he do a really good shutdown job on someone? Or did he sit on the field eating grass all game? Who knows. What I do know is that clurey and Alir stood naughton all night and the dogs don’t have any other forwards worth a damn but Jonas still took fu** all intercept marks. Why wasn’t he drifting across and cutting every kick (which was going to the same place?) off? When we used to play only one good kf in the Dixon gray / Neade days park footballers took record intercept marks v us but Jonas can’t seem to do that ffs. Where is the Jonas that used to take intercept marks? He’s been no where to be seen this year. At the age of 31 why are we persisting with him when there’s a key defender dominating sanfl waiting for his shot? Oh yeah… Hinkley.

Spp- shocked to find out he only had 8d. That’s not enough of it but he seemed to have way more impact than that. 2 goals and some really good plays in there. Having a very good year. Absolutely loved the arrogance to stand under that mark v 3 dogs in the goal square and take it.

Gray - class. Honestly, we need to draft small/medium forwards en masse over the next couple of years.

Clurey - meh. Rough day at the office playing against arguably the best kf in the league.

Georgiades- Jesus he has the yips. 0.4. He’s way down on form but he’s still very young, there’s nothing broken, he just needs time. Do we back him in at afl level or send him to sanfl? I don’t know to be honest. I might prefer kfs to develop in the afl side, it’s the proven way to develop them but could also understand if a week or 2 at sanfl level to get some easy goals might help him get over those yips. I just wouldn’t want him down there for too long.

Duursma - I saw some stuff I liked but 12d is so little of the ball for a player who is a hard running accumulator. We’ve kinda screwed up his development a bit, also hasn’t been quite right since that injury. Needs time and will come good I think. He’s a quality running accumulator and we need to focus on getting that out of him rather than trying to turn him into something else this early

After a good game last week I thought Aliir had a pretty average night. Regardless as to who he was on he seemed all at sea and got caught under the ball a lot. Maybe he is still feeling the effects of the enforced break? I am looking forward to Aliir returning to his 2021 form, reading the play and taking those intercept marks.

You are right about Georgiades and the yips. He really should have nailed at least three majors last night. He gets the ball well but as you point out his finishing is not there atm. This year Mitch has kicked 7.11 which contrasts with Todd Marshall's 14.2. I reckon if Dixon comes back next week Mitch should be the one to make room.

I didn't mind Byrne-Jones so much last night I thought he attacked the ball well and used it better than he has in some games. I thought DBJ and Bonner were probably our best two defenders. Maybe we expect too much from Byrne-Jones after his stellar year in 2020 ?

I thought Motlop had one of his better games. In the first quarter he even did what we recruited him to do, kicked an inspirational goal from the boundary. Unfortunately we have not seen enough of that stuff from him at Port.

I was also surprised that Sam Powell-Pepper only had 8 disposals. I actually had him in my best players. I think it was more when he got those touches as he seemed to use the ball to advantage whenever he touched it.

Good comments about Connor Rozee as the move to the mid field has paid off. As you post he is still developing so we need to be a little patient and expecting him to become a consistent 30+ possession getter overnight is unrealistic. He adds a touch of class in his ball getting and movement.

2 things.

A Connor Rozee that isn't going to ground at every contest, and instead uses that insane agility to move through traffic and create space, is pick 5 worthy. Looking forward to watching his midfield craft develop this year.

Hot Toddy. He was absolutely sensational. I don't know whether Charlie is coached to hit contests with flat hands to bring it to ground, or if he is just a horrible contested mark. Nevertheless, how good was it to watch our forwards lead up at the footy, or if it was bombed inside 50- our forwards clunk it first take. Todd really has an exceptional set of hands, and thinks quickly. Those contested marks, that small kick in the last to set up a shot at goal. Amazing what a bit of confidence + intensity does.

We've got to cut Jonas.

The free kick he gave away in the second half for high was a classic Jonas moment.

Always late to the contest, scrambling like a madman with misplaced aggression, usually ends in one of three scenarios

• Gives away a free kick
  • Wipes out a Port player
  • Opposition posession
Not sure we have anybody yet that can play his role. Ball killing, strong, shutdown defender.

If Marshall and Finlayson continue to present strongly like this, Dixon may not actually get double and triple teamed for the first time in his career with Port.
Yes but the big question is: Is the only reason they are leading up like they are because they are finding chemistry without Dix... and once Dix comes back in will they resort to putting it on his head and everyone spoiling each other?

Sam Hayes with another pretty dominant ruck display with 37 hit outs. How it took so long for him to debut is baffling.

Seeing our younger players drag us back into form has been refreshing.

Really enjoying the different dynamic Rozee adds to the midfield group. His ability to get a clean clearance at speed is not something we’ve had for a long time.

Marshall too is just continually building on his confidence. Rarely loses a contest now, and looks dangerous when the ball comes his way. Great signs for the future.

The reality is our best 22 is not good enough to win a flag.

So our flag hopes have always been in developing our youth.

Yet Hinkley has compromised this strategy and with it hope.

Hopefully our next coach commits to winning a flag rather than just being good.

Saying SPP ‘only’ had 8 disposals is like saying Neil Armstrong was ‘only’ on the moon for 2 and a half hours.

It ignores everything else he had to do to get that!

Saying SPP ‘only’ had 8 disposals is like saying Neil Armstrong was ‘only’ on the moon for 2 and a half hours.

It ignores everything else he had to do to get that!

Very surprised when I saw that, he was everywhere!

Arguably a better contribution than Darcy Parish's 40 disposal game a couple of weeks ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Back