Review Port def Bulldogs 86 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but the big question is: Is the only reason they are leading up like they are because they are finding chemistry without Dix... and once Dix comes back in will they resort to putting it on his head and everyone spoiling each other?

That is the question. Once Dixon gets back will we see the ball continually bombed high into him or will we see our midfielders looking for the likes of Marshall and Finlayson as well? In the past a large part of our forward strategy has been built around Charlie getting the ball or making a contest and bringing the ball to ground for our smaller forwards. With big Charlie absent greater responsibility has been thrust upon the likes of Marshall, Georgiades and latterly Finlayson and they are starting to handle it well.

With that in mind I would not be averse to giving Charlie a few more weeks in the SANFL while we see how Marshall, Finlayson and Georgiades develop. Marshall is probably in the best form of his career, Finlayson is showing improvement and Georgiades continues to get the ball and only needs to straighten his kicking up.

That is the question. Once Dixon gets back will we see the ball continually bombed high into him or will we see our midfielders looking for the likes of Marshall and Finlayson as well? In the past a large part of our forward strategy has been built around Charlie getting the ball or making a contest and bringing the ball to ground for our smaller forwards. With big Charlie absent greater responsibility has been thrust upon the likes of Marshall, Georgiades and latterly Finlayson and they are starting to handle it well.

With that in mind I would not be averse to giving Charlie a few more weeks in the SANFL while we see how Marshall, Finlayson and Georgiades develop. Marshall is probably in the best form of his career, Finlayson is showing improvement and Georgiades continues to get the ball and only needs to straighten his kicking up.
I think we have a bye in the SANFL next week which puts a fly in the ointment.

If he goes alright today I wouldn't be surprised to see him listed for the North game.

I think we have a bye in the SANFL next week which puts a fly in the ointment.

If he goes alright today I wouldn't be surprised to see him listed for the North game.

You are probably right the bye is a fly in the proverbial plus Ken does not think laterally and Big Charlie is probably still a cornerstone in his game plan. One thing about Charlie is he will draw a couple of tallish defenders which, if we were smart, would give us the chance to use Marshall and Finlayson or Georgiades. Not sure we are that smart though.

Let's not kid ourselves, Dixon isn't playing SANFL for too long.

He's a major asset to the team, regardless of whether we're long bombing to him all day or not. It's up to the other forwards to take advantage of his presence.

Let's not kid ourselves, Dixon isn't playing SANFL for too long.

He's a major asset to the team, regardless of whether we're long bombing to him all day or not. It's up to the other forwards to take advantage of his presence.
Agreed. And the coaches and midfielders also need to make the most of Dixon’s return

Marshall was the difference in that third quarter.

Boak was outstanding all game. Loving his role at the moment. Finlayson has been very good the last few weeks. Bonner was having a ripper until his injury. Hope its not too bad.

Wines and Rozee were very good in the midfield. Dumont has really made an impact, not in terms of quantity, but the quality of his disposals. Mots was good. Amon very good with some real pin point passes that cut the Dogs up.

Good win!
Couldn’t believe Dumont only got 15 disposal, felt like he was everywhere last night!

Jonas 2 punches that lead to 2 dogs goals in the 1st was pathetic, time to retire and thanks for the good career

add a lazy run back, so the opposition had an easy unpressured kick to naughton

I have loved jonas' career. He has achieved so much in his role, despite his height and football ceiling. He's been a wonderful leader and servant but the changing of the guard is required.

You are probably right the bye is a fly in the proverbial plus Ken does not think laterally and Big Charlie is probably still a cornerstone in his game plan. One thing about Charlie is he will draw a couple of tallish defenders which, if we were smart, would give us the chance to use Marshall and Finlayson or Georgiades. Not sure we are that smart though.
Your last sentence summed it up to perfection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t believe Dumont only got 15 disposal, felt like he was everywhere last night!
We had several anti-Matt Crouches last night - their possessions actually counted for something.

I knew Dumont was a smart footballer and tireless runner but he is also much cleaner with the ball than I expected. Makes good decisions and executes consistently.
Last year I said I wasnt overly enthusiastic at drafting him as he will probably be a depth player.

But I also said if he does what Mahoney did in 2004 and be a good depth player, goes and uses his experience at the Maggies help out tje kids there, but also when we have injury issues then he could do a Mahoney and become a regular player as he has good experience and skills, and will be a plug and play type player.

Dont think he is quick enough to regularly play wing but we are using him at stoppages as he is good in there and hard at it.

Has done some excellent work in packs that you easily miss at games and only pick up on replays.

Keeps playing like he has the last 3 weeks, he could well make the best 22 when we have no injuries.

The sweetest thing about Friday night's victory was putting and en to the media driven Bulldog belief that because they smashed us in the 2021 Prelim they could automatically do it again in 2022. The media was full of what the Bullies did in 2021 and at times when Bulldog players were on the tele you got impression they were still living in 2021. From that aspect alone victory was sweet.

Our play looked less stagnant last night and the commentators seemed ok

The commentary is so sterile these days. There are obviously caveats in the AFL media agreements that prevent the commentary teams from passing adverse comments about umpiring decisions. As usual there were a couple of shockers on Friday night that went under the radar.

The commentary is so sterile these days. There are obviously caveats in the AFL media agreements that prevent the commentary teams from passing adverse comments about umpiring decisions. As usual there were a couple of shockers on Friday night that went under the radar.
They seem to be silent on any reports/potential MRO matters this year too.

The sooner 7 lose broadcast rights the better.

They seem to be silent on any reports/potential MRO matters this year too.

The sooner 7 lose broadcast rights the better.

TBH I have not watched SEVEN's coverage as I cannot stand those bloody ads. My comments were focused on FOXTEL but if you think SEVEN is worse I will continue to give SEVEN a huge miss.

I can remember going to an AFL game at Football Park with my Father around 20 years ago. A goal was kicked and the boundary umps ran the ball back to the central umpire who stood transfixed ball in hand. My Dad looked at me and I looked at him and we both wondered what the * was going on. Of course the umpire was looking in the stand for the green light that indicated that the TV network had finished showing it's between gaol ads. That was a watershed moment for me because from that point in time AFL had ceased being sport covered by television networks and become television entertainment around which sport was packaged. The cart was well and truly pulling the horse.

As I have posted before even FOXTEL, which does not show ads, has to pad out it's coverage after a goal is kicked with umpteen replays and inane comments simply to accommodate SEVEN's bloody ads.

TBH I have not watched SEVEN's coverage as I cannot stand those bloody ads. My comments were focused on FOXTEL but if you think SEVEN is worse I will continue to give SEVEN a huge miss.

I can remember going to an AFL game at Football Park with my Father around 20 years ago. A goal was kicked and the boundary umps ran the ball back to the central umpire who stood transfixed ball in hand. My Dad looked at me and I looked at him and we both wondered what the fu** was going on. Of course the umpire was looking in the stand for the green light that indicated that the TV network had finished showing it's between gaol ads. That was a watershed moment for me because from that point in time AFL had ceased being sport covered by television networks and become television entertainment around which sport was packaged. The cart was well and truly pulling the horse.

As I have posted before even FOXTEL, which does not show ads, has to pad out it's coverage after a goal is kicked with umpteen replays and inane comments simply to accommodate SEVEN's bloody ads.

I think if the game is on 7, you get 7's commentary even on Fox i.e last week on Kayo we had the star studded 7 commentary team of Hamish "the shorter brother that got a job because he's from the right family" McLachlan, Luke "I hate Port" Darcy and Matthew Richardson (probably the only tolerable voice on the night).

At least Zemplis is gone now (He's the mayor of City of Perth lol), because he and "Hame" were unbearable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back