Review Port def Bulldogs 86 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know what to take from this the fact that they "rested" Bont against shows the level of respect teams have for us lol.
You really think they rested him? Carn.

Just finished watching the replay.

No matter what we think of coaching, this list is really coming together. Rozee and Todd finally finding some really strong consistent form. When you consider that Sinn, Bergman and Jones (apart from the fourth) didnt play there is clearly a strong side there for the next 3-4 years at least.

Shout out to Froggy for his best game too, showed he is an asset last night.

That was exciting. I still don’t think we’re going anywhere this season but the development of a few of our young players has been exciting.

The game of Aussie rules is at its best and most entertaining when kfs are doing there thing. Watching naughton and Marshall last night is as good as this sport gets.

Boak - keeps on keeping on. Gun.

Finlayson - very strong game. 3 goals. Has that knack of getting goals that we normally watch other kfs get against us and absolutely drives us bonkers.

Bonner - was on track for a monster game. His importance to our side is underrated. Has really come on and hopefully the injury isn’t too bad.

Wines - good game but still not back to his best

Marshall - yeah yeah yeah oh * yeah. Absolute dominance in the air that turned the game. Won it for us in the 3rd Qtr.

4 contested marks 2 goals, 2 goal assists (should have been 3 ffs ollie) 8 marks

Just had a real arrogance about him as well. I also love how hard he’s hitting people in tackles. Underrated how quick his mind is at making decisions too. He’s having a great year.

Dbj - eh. Some stuff to like but it’s not near the level I would like.

Rozee - good game from rozee. 21d but 6 clearances is the difference maker. We needed something different in there and rozee has brought it. We need to keep developing him in there.

Dumont - really nice performance. Good balanced game. He knows he is a complementary piece and played that role well last night.

Drew - solid game

Houston - not a massive game but still propelled us forward from the back half and chopped plays off

Motlop - had a couple of great moments and almost moments but also had some horrible blunders

Butters - eh. Just hasn’t been quite right since he took some early hits in the season. Some nice spark in bits but not enough. Why is it we only seem to have 1 of rozee and butters on at a time?

Alir - Hinkley is a dumb campaigner. Clurey should have been on naughton from the start with Alir helping, not the other way around. Hinkley made that switch eventually but imagine if you had to explain to a pilot how to fly after he’s already taken off?

Hayes - yeah. Got to love having a quality tap ruckman. 37 hitouts. Martin was a dirty grub who was playing judo instead of football and should have been called out for it by the umps. Hayes gets bonus points for the hilarity of watching that campaigner weightman injure himself trying to hit Hayes. * weightman is a moron. I would love to compare Hayes season to a player currently the same age as him but he’s the youngest first ruck in the league. And his numbers compare well to the very best rucks in the league.

Burton - solid game from the ever reliable burton

Amon - couple of average moments but his kicking absolutely cut the dogs to shreds last night.

Jonas - I don’t know what to say about his game cause I don’t ever remember seeing him? Did he do a really good shutdown job on someone? Or did he sit on the field eating grass all game? Who knows. What I do know is that clurey and Alir stood naughton all night and the dogs don’t have any other forwards worth a damn but Jonas still took * all intercept marks. Why wasn’t he drifting across and cutting every kick (which was going to the same place?) off? When we used to play only one good kf in the Dixon gray / Neade days park footballers took record intercept marks v us but Jonas can’t seem to do that ffs. Where is the Jonas that used to take intercept marks? He’s been no where to be seen this year. At the age of 31 why are we persisting with him when there’s a key defender dominating sanfl waiting for his shot? Oh yeah… Hinkley.

Spp- shocked to find out he only had 8d. That’s not enough of it but he seemed to have way more impact than that. 2 goals and some really good plays in there. Having a very good year. Absolutely loved the arrogance to stand under that mark v 3 dogs in the goal square and take it.

Gray - class. Honestly, we need to draft small/medium forwards en masse over the next couple of years.

Clurey - meh. Rough day at the office playing against arguably the best kf in the league.

Georgiades- Jesus he has the yips. 0.4. He’s way down on form but he’s still very young, there’s nothing broken, he just needs time. Do we back him in at afl level or send him to sanfl? I don’t know to be honest. I might prefer kfs to develop in the afl side, it’s the proven way to develop them but could also understand if a week or 2 at sanfl level to get some easy goals might help him get over those yips. I just wouldn’t want him down there for too long.

Duursma - I saw some stuff I liked but 12d is so little of the ball for a player who is a hard running accumulator. We’ve kinda screwed up his development a bit, also hasn’t been quite right since that injury. Needs time and will come good I think. He’s a quality running accumulator and we need to focus on getting that out of him rather than trying to turn him into something else this early

Our accuracy in the first quarter was imo the reason we kept the Dogs at bay. We are still down on center clearances but made up for it with our forward movement.

SPP has set the tone from the first bounce, not only tonight but all season. He is a very important player atm, hats off to him, excellent start to the season.

Big Hayes is starting to find his feet and last night was his best game so far imo. I hope he can stay sound and does not burn out because our options are limited with Lycett being out for an extended period.

Last edited:
The last ten years as a Port supporter in one schizo play:

Ollie launches a desperate flying tackle.
Wins holding the ball.
Goes back and lines up from fiddy.
F yeah, u think, he's taking it upon himself.
Gonna kick an inspirational, team-lifting goal.
Plot twist:
Handballs to a flat-footed Riley Bonner.
Who totally wasn't expecting it.
Under the pump, he pretty much kicks into the man on the mark.

Classic Ports farken, lol

6f82ar.gif

Last edited:
Two recruits that we picked up on the cheap are showing their worth. We picked up Dumont at pick 14 in the rookie draft. We traded a future 3rd round pick for Finlayson.

I think he’s a bit more than a vanilla style player. Has footy smarts and goes in hard. He’s gone up in my estimation. And Finlayson is playing his role quite nicely. Kudos to the recruiting team.

We've got to cut Jonas.

The free kick he gave away in the second half for high was a classic Jonas moment.

Always late to the contest, scrambling like a madman with misplaced aggression, usually ends in one of three scenarios

• Gives away a free kick
  • Wipes out a Port player
  • Opposition posession

Two recruits that we picked up on the cheap are showing their worth. We picked up Dumont at pick 14 in the rookie draft. We traded a future 3rd round pick for Finlayson.

I think he’s a bit more than a vanilla style player. Has footy smarts and goes in hard. He’s gone up in my estimation. And Finlayson is playing his role quite nicely. Kudos to the recruiting team.
I thought at the time that the Finlayson trade was such a bargain. It's taken him a few games to get going but now he's got his confidence up and he's proving how true that is. 8 goals from his last 3 games.

I think it was more a case of GWS being good citizens given his family situation rather than them actually thinking that a third rounder was all he was worth. Well done to them for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not looking forward to Dixon coming back TBH. The Hot Todger, MG and Finlayson makes for a far more flexible and complementary set of talls. Also HT clearly thrives on being top banana. Don't want Dixon cockblocking the todge.
Not that I want Dixon back in the team, but our forward line has only worked for a handful of quarters this year, and almost never against good opposition.

No Dixon and we'll set the record for goalless quarters in a season.

Not looking forward to Dixon coming back TBH. The Hot Todger, MG and Finlayson makes for a far more flexible and complementary set of talls. Also HT clearly thrives on being top banana. Don't want Dixon cockblocking the todge.
Does he? Or does he thrive on getting a weaker defender? I love the bloke but his best footy this year has come while matched up against the likes of Billy Frampton, Harry Edwards and Hayden Crozier.

I actually think both Marshall and Finlayson thrive on getting to play the second/third banana role and beating up on a lesser defender. In theory, Dixon coming back should only help them. As long as we don't revert back to Bassett's usual 'bomb it to Dixon at all costs' strategy and keep making sure that we actually use Marshall and Finlayson as targets.

Actually enjoyed myself, that’s enough for me this week after previous home games.
Good contest, even teams.

The Bulldogs run and carry is immense even with people missing.

We have stopped bombing it to the Dixon that isn’t there, I’m also at dreading his return!

SPP - is a ******* legend, rucking and all the other one percenters stuff he does is fantastic!

Marshall - keep proving us doubters wrong! PLEASE!

Dumont - settling in nicely!

Almost certainly not going to win the spoon now!

Happy days!

I think it was Byrne Jones took a mark in the last quarter, the guy on the mark never stopped moving and the umpire just ignored it.
Based on DBJ’s game I was surprised he took the mark. He had an absolute shocker of a game

not sure what to take of the game. Happy with the result, should have shut the game down earlier but for shite goal kicking.

I wanna see MG played up the ground more, get him on the move, he’s got some real class and speed with the ball.

thought amon broke the game open with some beautiful ball movement.

clurey was pantsed. Didnt realise how good an athlete naughton was

umps were putrid, continually over umpired. So many bizarre decisions and the last quarter was almost a rort.

rozee is a superstar, butters needs a kick up the arse, enjoyed duursmas hard running.

finalyson and Marshall were very good in the air.

surely we couldn’t * it all up against north could we

We've got to cut Jonas.

The free kick he gave away in the second half for high was a classic Jonas moment.

Always late to the contest, scrambling like a madman with misplaced aggression, usually ends in one of three scenarios

• Gives away a free kick
  • Wipes out a Port player
  • Opposition posession
The game has passed Jonas by, bodying up against a player of similar size and speed is about the only way he can be effective now, and most teams, particularly the better ones don't have that type that he can match up on.

I doubt a player of his type would have even been in the top 10 discussions for the captaincy in the Fos or Jack Cahill dynasties, and if the admin of the club is in anyway serious about moving forward this should be his last year as skipper. and as an automatic afl selection.

I can't recall who mentioned this earlier, but captain of the Maggies for a season or two to mentor the younger players could now be the best role for TJ.

Based on DBJ’s game I was surprised he took the mark. He had an absolute shocker of a game

not sure what to take of the game. Happy with the result, should have shut the game down earlier but for shite goal kicking.

I wanna see MG played up the ground more, get him on the move, he’s got some real class and speed with the ball.

thought amon broke the game open with some beautiful ball movement.

clurey was pantsed. Didnt realise how good an athlete naughton was

umps were putrid, continually over umpired. So many bizarre decisions and the last quarter was almost a rort.

rozee is a superstar, butters needs a kick up the arse, enjoyed duursmas hard running.

finalyson and Marshall were very good in the air.

surely we couldn’t fu** it all up against north could we
Well here's the thing........

Todd Marshall is a problem farken.

He went full beast mode in that third quarter. Commanding presence, clunking big marks all over the ground, attacking the ball. Hot damn, that's the Hot Todd we've been waiting for all along.

His emergence + attractive footy x the Dogs being absolute campaigners = I really got into a game for the first time this year. Legit fun to be at a game again where ppl gave a s**t and showed some passion. Especially when the Doggies got a good run with the umps in the last quarter. Terraces went boonta.

Scoreboard fibbed a bit. That was closer to a six, seven goal win. You know we're well on top when Motlop pulls out his party tricks, lol.

Dunno what SPPs stats are this year and I really don't give a s**t because he's having a real impact. Ditto Rozee. Butters is prolly flying under the radar a bit. Now if we can get X and his gut-running right we're laughing.

Can't believe I'm saying this - but I like the look of our forward line atm. Not so static anymore. Todd, Mitch & J-Fin move! And that's just freeing up space. Lets Robbie, Mots and SPP do their thang. Building nicely so if we start bombing long when Dix comes back, I'll storm the coaches box farken.

Prolly the only one around me who got shitty when Trav kicked that goal on the tight angle from the pocket. "No way, he's kicking this," I thought. Nek minnit: he kicks it. Everyone's going nuts around me and I'm like: "Yeah, great, NOW you kick it - F@%K!"

Naughton loves playing against us. Campaigner. Look, I know edgie doesn't like Bailey Smith... fmd, he can play, but. Then again edgie doesn't like The Last Jedi. So yeah.

Some rando Doggies fan was Mitch G's #1 fan. Legit cheered every time he went near it. Mitch mark - yay! Mitch shot on goal - yay! Mitch miss - awwwww! Must've really rated Old Man Georgiadis' first game. Weird campaigner.

Burton and Houston really work well together down back. They seem to have some some of mystical connection and understanding and s**t. But I was ready to trade DBJ when, under no pressure whatsoever, he kicked it a mile over Mitch's head. Mitch had space on the wing and we would've been away. Ammo D7 scrubbers could've hit the target. Such a dumb basic skill error.

Some lady kept yelling out "Fanta!" all night long. And I was like "wtf r u on about, bitch? Fantasia hasn't played since f@%k knows when." Took me til the last quarter to realise she was referring to Willem Drew, lol.

For the first time this year, bus was buzzing on the way home. Even after our first win against West Coast it was pretty morose. Except for that one Hinkley Happy Clapper who wouldn't shut up the whole way. "They did it for Kenny! The boys did it for Kenny! Kenny, Ken, Ken!"

Does Magpiespowaz have to choke a bitch?

Fans have hope again. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope'll get a Port fan's heart broken. F-it, even if it's another wasted year, I'ma roll with Jesse Jackson and "keep hope alive!" Otherwise it's such a batshit boring night out farken.

Anyway, I'll leave you with this insane comic I bought before the game where Obama fights a whole bunch of aliens in the boxing ring. The double-page spread pays homage to the late great Neal Adams' Superman v Muhammad Ali comic back in the day. Spot your fave pop-culture character...

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 8.33.15 am.png Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 8.37.14 am.png
What, me worry?

Last edited:
Not that I want Dixon back in the team, but our forward line has only worked for a handful of quarters this year, and almost never against good opposition.

No Dixon and we'll set the record for goalless quarters in a season.
The lack of function in the forward line is in large past about the way we choose to play upfield and the quality of forward entries (cluster * ideas like Mayes at FF to one side).

Does he? Or does he thrive on getting a weaker defender? I love the bloke but his best footy this year has come while matched up against the likes of Billy Frampton, Harry Edwards and Hayden Crozier.

I actually think both Marshall and Finlayson thrive on getting to play the second/third banana role and beating up on a lesser defender. In theory, Dixon coming back should only help them. As long as we don't revert back to Bassett's usual 'bomb it to Dixon at all costs' strategy and keep making sure that we actually use Marshall and Finlayson as targets.
I think Marshall is at a point in his career where he's just starting to realise he can be top banana. I want to give him the chance to see that through. But fair point, a large part of the challenge for our KPF group is the game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back