Review Port def Bulldogs 86 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

After the national lampoons Cairns trip, thought we may have struggled fitness wise. Really pleasing to see Marshall and Rozee continue their form. Boaky, we’ll just Boaky. I’d love to see him play 400 but geeze the bloke is an out and out champion. Certainly doesn’t get the accolades from the Vic commentary team but he epitomises the Port Adelaide I grew up as a kid. Thought our defence was shakey tonight, Clurey was poor and Alir still playing injured. Still it’s a win, let’s move onto next week.

Not looking forward to Dixon coming back TBH. The Hot Todger, MG and Finlayson makes for a far more flexible and complementary set of talls. Also HT clearly thrives on being top banana. Don't want Dixon cockblocking the todge.
surely you jest... dixon takes best defender and plugger marshall averages 6 goals a game

The umpiring was horrendous both ways, errors, obvious missed calls, and terrible frees paid all night.

That deliberate we were paid in the first from a contested loose ball was a horrible decision. In the 2nd their defender belts it straight to the line from 15m out and it's not paid. Go figure.

We had like 5 dropped balls in a row in the 3rd quarter at one stage. We're clearly caught HTB over and over, none were paid, then the umpire plucked one that wasn't HTB.

Finlayson takes a fantastic mark on centre wing in the last and the umpiring plucks a ridiculous free out, before completely ignoring the next 2 contest infringements that happen directly in front of him from the next 2 R50s.

One that baked my noodle, wasn't the horrendous goal reviews, but the free kick paid to Bailey Smith in the 2nd quarter just outside 50. He was paid the free and then never went behind the mark to take his kick. Bailey laces out a forward who kicks a goal, from a ball that should've come back.

Honestly it was probably the worst display of umpiring to absolutely everyone I've ever seen. It had zero impact on the result, nor did it favour anyone, but that was just a disgustingly poor display of umpiring.

The Weightman non play on was one of the worst decisions I've seen. Especially when they starting pinging people for taking a step off of their line.

I must be the only Port fan who likes Cody Weightman - the kid is a gun. He would be very handy at port. Love his attack on the ball and the hit on Hayes. Hope he recovers quickly, too exciting a player to be on the bench.
Id rather support the crows

I think it was Byrne Jones took a mark in the last quarter, the guy on the mark never stopped moving and the umpire just ignored it.

I must be the only Port fan who likes Cody Weightman - the kid is a gun. He would be very handy at port. Love his attack on the ball and the hit on Hayes. Hope he recovers quickly, too exciting a player to be on the bench.

He'd get zero free kicks at Port and would actively get frees taken off of other players out of the perception that we dive. Has some skills, but is a *******.

What’s wrong with Mitch? Kicked 4 behinds, should have kicked a couple
General play around the ground is good, shown a lot of pace I didn't realise he had. Has the yips right now, strange because he's got such a nice action. Hopefully gets his confidence back in front of the sticks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

21 inside 50 marks..Better delivery going into the forward 50
The 4 quarter highlight of the match unlike our goal kicking after we had 6.0 on the scoreboard.

At quarter time we had kicked 4.0 from 5 marks inside 50. Should have carried on and kicked 16 goals from those 21 marks.

I have it as 9.8, 1 out on the full and 2 were passed off to players who marked and had shots on goal and 1 didnt score.

That's the standard we need for the rest of the season. Boak is one of the worst offenders of just bomb it towards Charlie's direction I50, actually passed it to 2 teammates with low passes into space, that were marked and that resulted in 2 goals. More of that Boaky.

Last edited:
Riley Bonner was playing a superb attacking game off half back.

He is much maligned but has really stepped up this year and was genuinely damaging today until injured.
Thought he was BOG until he got injured.

After the national lampoons Cairns trip, thought we may have struggled fitness wise. Really pleasing to see Marshall and Rozee continue their form. Boaky, we’ll just Boaky. I’d love to see him play 400 but geeze the bloke is an out and out champion. Certainly doesn’t get the accolades from the Vic commentary team but he epitomises the Port Adelaide I grew up as a kid. Thought our defence was shakey tonight, Clurey was poor and Alir still playing injured. Still it’s a win, let’s move onto next week.
Further confirming, that post the Brisbane game, when we had a lot of players hurt and ran out of gas, that comments by a lot of people that we are unfit when we were losing, was wrong.

As I've said before, when you * up as often as we were between Hawks game and half time of Carlton game, you waste energy, drop your head and the fatigue gets to the mind and the mind doesn't push the rest of the body as hard, compared to when you aren't ******* up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back