Autopsy Port v Collingwood Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Smart in the sense of positioning and always being in the right places at the right time. Poor disposal under pressure and an inability to sell candy and kick a goal is more on the talent side of the equation imo.

I would argue out of everything you just mentioned that good/poor disposal under pressure has everything to do with smarts and nothing to do with talent

Not a pretty or exciting game but was good to get a win.
He has his fair share of knockers but I thought Neade played well.
Doogs looked like he's played all year with how composed he was and Houston needs to stay in the side permanently.

That's how I saw it, a late bump and nothing more. Only concern I have is that Tom Hawkins seemed to have no case to answer and he went for 2.

Tom Hawkins was not suspended for the act. He was suspended for being a total Bell End who doesn't learn.

Unpopular opinion time: I like Dougal down back. Pace, aggression, great spoiling ability, very good foot skills coming out of the backline.

We've been screaming out for a defender of genuine size. Well, here he is.

Pretty much this mate..... And I'm team "Forward Dougal"

However....if this continues, then we must roll with Marshall in the forward line for the next 13 years.

Trengove redundant.

Sam Gray is far too smart a footballer for his size and skill set. He'd just about be the best player in the comp if he had Arch's size and skills. So annoying.
Getta bit a swagger in ya Sammy. Believe in yourself and next time you've got a shot from 50 swing out wide to the right
and give it all ya got. Sell some candy sometimes and add some rat cunning. We'd all like to see more polish but i'd be
happy if more of our players tried as hard as you do.

Pretty much this mate..... And I'm team "Forward Dougal"

However....if this continues, then we must roll with Marshall in the forward line for the next 13 years.

Trengove redundant.
The way Marshall plays I don't see why we can't both him and Howard forward. It will be a relieving dream from a total nightmare if the day ever comes. Marshall Dix and Howard FWD line ohhhhhhh my!.

Unpopular opinion time: I like Dougal down back. Pace, aggression, great spoiling ability, very good foot skills coming out of the backline.

I'm on this line of thinking too.

Yes I would have liked to see Dougal forward but that was more due to the fact we removed Trengove from the forward line without any sort of replacement.

Doogs looked very good and I don't see Ken making a move there.

Still the elephant in the room remains, what do it with the forward line. Kick to the tall guy in the pocket with 5 short people around him isn't working.

I left beginning of the 4th, there with 2 little kids, wasn't going to sit through another quarter of that s**t and put up with them in the exiting mob and queues. What a sh*tstain our gameplan has devolved into.

A forward line tall group of Dixon, Marshall and Frampton, with Dougal, Clurey & Hombsch down back, Ryder in the ruck is a potentially damaging tall group going forward next year. Ladhams developing, Austin as back up, Westhoff no longer a guarantee first 22 player, Trengove doing something. It's a good group to have.

A forward line tall group of Dixon, Marshall and Frampton, with Dougal, Clurey & Hombsch down back, Ryder in the ruck is a potentially damaging tall group going forward next year. Ladhams developing, Austin as back up, Westhoff no longer a guarantee first 22 player, Trengove doing something. It's a good group to have.
Y-Y-Y-Y-Yonas?

..... anyone who can honestly be happy with the result of yesterday's game is delusional. Long way to go.
I am totally happy with the result of the game!
The result was a Port win!

What I am not happy with, is the manner in which that result was achieved. The fact that glaring deficiencies still clearly exist and are going unchecked, and that Ken & Co still seem oblivious to them!

Two games left to get this back on track. I am not prepared to write Port off for 2017 as some of you are! We have almost no injuries, and the Crows have shown that you can completely change things around in the space of one match. This season is still anyone's, and that includes Port.

But, digging your heels in the sand, and stubbornly following a failed & flawed game plan & selection policy is doomed TO FAILURE!

Two games left ... FIX IT KEN!

Let me pick out a key stat from last night: Contest Possessions - Port 126 v Collingwood 133.

Against a Collingwood side without Pendlebury, Wells and Grundy in their engine room, we still managed to lose the contested possessions. Sure, we didn't have Powell-Pepper, but you know who we did have? Wines, Ebert, Gray, Wingard, Polec and Ryder, with Boak and Ah Chee able to do a job there too. That midfield should be able to compete with every midfield in the competition, but we lost the contested possessions to a team with bloody Mason Cox and Darcy Moore as their rucks. We also lost the clearances 34-38 and hit outs 34-35. We barely managed to beat the shell of a s**t team without their 3 best players by 4 goals. I've never been a cynic, but anyone who can honestly be happy with the result of yesterday's game is delusional. Long way to go.

Team has definitely been struggling since the game against Essendon. There was a Port up until Round 11 and other ever since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those three will never play together in the same Hinkley coached side

So do I.

I think most people would be fine with it if we weren't so laughably bad at selecting adequate talls in the forward line. If Frampton came in for Impey, i'd be content to leave Dougal starting back.

So do I.

I think most people would be fine with it if we weren't so laughably bad at selecting adequate talls in the forward line. If Frampton came in for Impey, i'd be content to leave Dougal starting back.

Or we could play Austin in the backlines and allow him to develop on his strong end of last season and put Howard up forward.. too obvious though

Adelaide, Sydney and GWS are all a class above us. Adelaide and Sydney in particular have settled sides that are strong in key positions and an established way of playing. We could beat any of them but maybe 2 out of 10 times if we are being honest.

Geelong and Richmond are eminently beatable, Geelong live on aura and Richmond need things to go right for them. At worst we would be 4/10 chance in any game with them. Geelong at Kardinia Park gives them more of an edge but Richmond at the MCG not really.

The other teams in the 8 we can beat and they can beat us. A home final would give us an advantage.

The reality is 'massive cracks' is BigFooty hyperbole. We have deficiencies but outside of the top 3 I mentioned so does every other team in the top 8-10. We are not as settled as the gun teams and next year we will continue to change up our side to get the mix right. I'm especially thinking that Marshall, Frampton, Atley and even Johnson could make an impact, We will likely bring in at least one free agent.

We're not on the pace of the best this year but we're not as far off it as some think. We're not going to make massive change now this close to finals and with a contracted coaching group. If that's what you're looking for you will be sadly disappointed.

The Collingwood game was a dour struggle but to manufacture 14 goals with what looks like a dysfunctional forward set up was a fair effort. It's tough coming off the smashing we had at the hands of the crows, I've seen teams completely demoralised by that sort of loss. But we fronted up and went hard at the game from the opening bounce. We're still putting pieces together even this late in the season which means we won't be a real threat come finals but we should win one and with a bit of luck we can get to a prelim.

If we fail dismally in the next couple of weeks and/or finals then the club's response will tell us a lot.
I like this post a lot!

Doesn't really classify as a 'tall' even though he does play that way.

Send him forward, that'd make me lol.

Our best tall defender who isn't really that tall goes forward as a tall forward who isn't really that tall but has to play tall.

Ken is satisfied with that. He isn't technically playing a tall, and he's got the chance to ruin another players career by swinging him somewhere.

Send him forward, that'd make me lol.

Our best tall defender who isn't really that tall goes forward as a tall forward who isn't really that tall but has to play tall.

Ken is satisfied with that. He isn't technically playing a tall, and he's got the chance to ruin another players career by swinging him somewhere.

Known as the Reverse Salter. Or the Retlas manoeuvre

Nothing like limping toward the finals is there
I remember the the Bulldogs literally limping into last years finals ... then crowned as victors!

The question is ... Will we be limping IN the finals?

We have the players to compete with the best of them IMO ... but sadly not the game!

I remember the the Bulldogs literally limping into last years finals ... then crowned as victors!

The question is ... Will we be limping IN the finals?

We have the players to compete with the best of them IMO ... but sadly not the game!
We are more like North Melbourne last year

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back