Opinion Port's Ruck Situation

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide’s Scott Lycett could loom large for Melbourne as a ruck replacement for Brodie Grundy in the event the former Collingwood big man departs the Demons.
Lycett, 30, is a free agent and open to offers after falling out of favour at Port Adelaide.

But Melbourne won’t be the only club to consider Lycett as Geelong could also inquire as support for Toby Conway and Rhys Stanley and Essendon if Nick Bryan departs.

In some ways it makes some sense for Melbourne to trade out Grundy and pick up Lycett as a FA as their breakglass backup option if they don't intend to play Grundy (although I have suspicions they may pull a surprise in a fortnights time)

Imagine leaving the club with no ruck depth because you're unable to maintain your starting ruck position and then moving to a club with the best ruck in the league
If we fill our weakness by getting Grundy, Lycett wouldn't be #1 ruck at any other club in the league either, so makes no difference to him. At least at Melbourne he'd be a clear #2 as they really don't have anyone else.

Imagine leaving the club with no ruck depth because you're unable to maintain your starting ruck position and then moving to a club with the best ruck in the league
Animated GIF

Yeah, I cannot see another club taking Scott Lycett on. He is coming 31 and beset with injury. If we score Grundy and m
Melbourne are not interested in Scoot he will struggle to stay on our list. If things work out I can see us with Grundy, Visentini and possibly Hayes as our ruck contingent. Good luck to Scott though hope he gets a gig if not with us then Melbourne.

Grundy 35 possessions on the weekend 3 goals.

Melksham ACL opens door for recall.

Melbourne pick him they are setting up for failure. They don't pick him they've no right to ask anything at all for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our ruck situation (and KPD situation) is still bad. We added quantity, not quality. Three guys who weren't best 22 at non-finalist clubs, and the reverse Coleman winner.

Soldo, Sav and BZT aren't going to give us any more than what the likes of Lycett, Jonas and Clurey were giving us a few years ago. That wasn't enough to take us to a flag either.

Our ruck situation (and KPD situation) is still bad. We added quantity, not quality. Three guys who weren't best 22 at non-finalist clubs, and the reverse Coleman winner.

Soldo, Sav and BZT aren't going to give us any more than what the likes of Lycett, Jonas and Clurey were giving us a few years ago. That wasn't enough to take us to a flag either.

Can't agree with this. What we had in 2020 was good enough to win the premiership, we just choked in the last quarter of the prelim and couldn't get it done.

Carn we have a ruck division that's surely able to compete with any side. We lost many games in the past two years purely because of our ruck - either by not picking one and robbing our forward line (Finlayson, Dixon), or by picking one that wasn't up to it (Teakle, Lycett, etc)

We're not going to dominate with the best ruck in the league, but you don't need to, especially when we have the midfield depth we do. We just need a bloke that can break even every week and we definitely have that now with hopefully four blokes competing for the spot.

Also list-wise it absolutely was enough to take us to a flag. We had a home prelim final against a side we'd beaten in home and away. We were good enough. We're just serial chokers who have a coach that isn't up to it.
I hate to alarm you but for some ungodly reason we still have that coach next year.

This is my point. We're not in a better position now than we've been at any other point of Hinkley's reign. These trades aren't improvements, they're just slowing regression. We've replaced some guys who were B graders a few years ago (but have since regressed to D graders) with some guys who are B graders now.

I hate to alarm you but for some ungodly reason we still have that coach next year.

This is my point. We're not in a better position now than we've been at any other point of Hinkley's reign. These trades aren't improvements, they're just slowing regression. We've replaced some guys who were B graders a few years ago (but have since regressed to D graders) with some guys who are B graders now.
I dont disagree with this.

Our list has improved, but we still dont have an upgrade on our most important position - head coach.

I view every move and acquisition through the lens of "what will this bloke contribute in 2026".

I dont disagree with this.

Our list has improved, but we still dont have an upgrade on our most important position - head coach.

I view every move and acquisition through the lens of "what will this bloke contribute in 2026".
And I wouldn't be surprised if Sav is the only one of the four still getting a game in 2026.

Cat B a 215cm basketballer.
Or Draft:
William Green Ruck Northern Knights 18 204cm 89kg

Vigo Visentini Ruck Sandringham Dragons 18 203cm 97kg

Lachlan Smith Ruck Gippsland Power 18 202cm 97k

Wil Dawson Key Forward Gippsland Power 18 200cm 86kg

Evan Smith Key Forward/Ruck Swan Districts 18 201cm 82kg

Taylor Goad (South Adelaide) Ruckman 18 207cm 92kg

Or Draft:
William Green Ruck Northern Knights 18 204cm 89kg

Vigo Visentini Ruck Sandringham Dragons 18 203cm 97kg

Lachlan Smith Ruck Gippsland Power 18 202cm 97k

Wil Dawson Key Forward Gippsland Power 18 200cm 86kg

Evan Smith Key Forward/Ruck Swan Districts 18 201cm 82kg

Taylor Goad (South Adelaide) Ruckman 18 207cm 92kg

If we upgrade Williams and draft Hagan (or another small forward type), personally I wouldn't draft a ruckman with our remaining pick. Maybe as a rookie if a good enough prospect is there.

If Taylor goad is there at any pick we have to take him. Very unlikely though.

He made Cal Twomey's top 30 so yeah I wasn't taking him seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back