Opinion Port's Ruck Situation

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we've got plenty of talls. With Duursma and Bonner gone, we might need 2 Usain Bolts.

Those two are hardly Usain Bolt, more Joshua Cheptegei ;). But yes, I would rather see running players drafted at the ND.

But we only have 3 ruckmen on our list (I'm assuming Hayes and Lycett are done and the Teakle experiment is over). It's not enough, so a Cat B rookie would be a safe development option (unless there is someone available in the rookie draft that's worth a shot).

Those two are hardly Usain Bolt, more Joshua Cheptegei ;). But yes, I would rather see running players drafted at the ND.

But we only have 3 ruckmen on our list (I'm assuming Hayes and Lycett are done and the Teakle experiment is over). It's not enough, so a Cat B rookie would be a safe development option (unless there is someone available in the rookie draft that's worth a shot).

Finlayson, Dixon, Lord, Scully all chopout options at AFL or SANFL level.

Finlayson, Dixon, Lord, Scully all chopout options at AFL or SANFL level.

Finlayson is a dreadful ruck, Lord and Scully need to concentrate on key forward development, Dixon is cooked.

Three dedicated rucks on a list are not enough. One more development ruck who doesn't take a senior list spot is fine.

So if our 2 new ruckman are B grade options they are still an upgrade on Lycett.
I wont judge them until after the first 6 to 10 rounds.
If they deliver the ball to Connor Zac and Jason its an upgrade.
If they compete and run out the whole game it's an upgrade.
My concern are the coaches not the players

Finlayson is a dreadful ruck, Lord and Scully need to concentrate on key forward development, Dixon is cooked.

Three dedicated rucks on a list are not enough. One more development ruck who doesn't take a senior list spot is fine.

I am not so sure that Sam Hayes is definitely gone. I think we may attempt to Rookie list him.

I am not sure where Jordan Sweet fits in Ken's plans. We used the #50 pick on him so I cannot see him playing in the Port Magpies all season. Maybe Ken has plans to play two ruckmen as many of the better performed sides do?

I am not so sure that Sam Hayes is definitely gone. I think we may attempt to Rookie list him.

I am not sure where Jordan Sweet fits in Ken's plans. We used the #50 pick on him so I cannot see him playing in the Port Magpies all season. Maybe Ken has plans to play two ruckmen as many of the better performed sides do?
If the club tries to re-contract Hayes and he signs it he obviously has a humiliation fetish.

Completely agree, as a list management principle 4 rucks is the standard.

If Vigo Visentini or Goad are still available by the time we enter the draft I would be very interested.

If Soldo, Sweet and Dante Visentini are all fully fit for the start of preseason, and given their age profiles, we could wait until next years draft if there isn’t any prospects that Parker and co like.

If Vigo Visentini or Goad are still available by the time we enter the draft I would be very interested.

If Soldo, Sweet and Dante Visentini are all fully fit for the start of preseason, and given their age profiles, we could wait until next years draft if there isn’t any prospects that Parker and co like.

If we continue with the same quick fix strategy our hand in next year's Draft is not likely to be any better than this year's Draft.

You are right, four ruckmen are needed. I am sure we all remember 2016 when we started with 3 ruckmen and Jackson Trengove finished up as our first choice ruck because Ryder was suspended, Lobbe was injured and Ken would not play Frampton.

Geelong have used Ratugolea as a makeshift ruckman in the past so there is a chance Ken will use him as backup to Soldo with Aliir and Zerk-Thatcher in defence. That would not be a permanent thing just an occasional turn to spell Soldo. Then again why would you use pick#50 on Jordan Sweet if you are not going to use him?

The more I look the more I am tempted to stick with Sam Hayes as our fourth ruckman if it is possible.
Hayes is out of contract and there did not seem to be any interest during the Trade week so maybe he has no suitors ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will have to manage our rucks regardless of who is number one.

Soldo and Sweet should be able to play 15-20 games on the trot but we need to keep them cherry ripe. Besides injuries happen. Danté should get a game or two. Would be also good to ruck Dixon as well.

A bean poke like Goad or Vigo would be fine on the list, as they’ll be ready in 4-6 years time, which suits the time frames of Soldo and Sweet.

It makes it tough for their development if they are all fit though with the stupid SANFL rules where they all have to play.

If Soldo is playing AFL.

Sweet 1st ruck in the SANFL.

That means Visintini is 2nd ruck.

Which means that it is very hard to get ruck time into our rookie ruck or any of our potential ruck/forwards like Lord or Scully.

We should be able to palm of the rookie ruck to an SANFL reserves team or an amateur club to develop whilst they hit the gym.

It's such a difficult position because you can basically only play one in each team but you sort of need to carry four from a list management perspective.

Once we get a pre season trade period I reckon clubs will only run with three and just trade one in from another club mid season if they get a long term injury.

I'm playing either sweet or soldo as 1st ruck, neither as resting ruckman, ruck then bench

I'm playing Dixon as 2nd ruck

Think looking at the draft boards we still a chance of Vigo/Goad if there's only 50 odd players picked up..

Big Footy phantom draft is November 1 for interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back