Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean no disrespect to any of your current players, but put that side up against your 2006 or 1990's sides and be realistic, and yet this WCE team could be the first one to go back to back.

Disagree. This is probably the most complete west coast team of the lot, certainly the best forward line, with a back line close to / equal to the 90’s, and an underrated midfield not quite the 2006 mids but not far off. Hence why back to back is a real possibility.

9403c93309e9b062e2f8726568d1325f.jpg

Swamp goes bang.

Fair enough.

I'm not quite seeing Judd/Cousins/Kerr or McIntosh/Jakovich/McKenna/Worsfold/Brennan there, but that's a conversation for another thread.
I said the same... mids not quite but not far off... the higher quality forward line offsets it... but this backline of Hurn/McGovern/Sheppard/Barrass/Jetta if snags another flag is in the equal conversation IMO... and yes there is already another thread about it :)

I thought Petch had a game of almosts

almost broke away a number of times through a pack....
almost took off with the loose ball but a couple of bad bounces....
was in the right spot for the mark with both Waterman's and Allen's goals....
burnt by Rioli and would have run into an open goal....

could have easily finished with 4 goals

almost a big positive.
He had a fairly good game as it was - as you say, next time, with a smidgen more luck, he will kick 4 or 5.Hopefully in a final.

Talking of 'Positives', this great read from Mongrel Punt! I know it's still early days and we shouldn't get carried away, but 'aint nuttin' wrong with basking in a little glory?

It's normally a good read but this is blatantly misleading.

Dear Champion Data – are you guys absolutely stupid? How can Lewis Jetta possibly have gone at 95% efficiency if seven of his 21 touches constituted turnovers? Fix your statistics. You are paid a shitload of money to do this job for the AFL, yet your method is so flawed it’s ridiculous. A turnover is not effective – stop saying it is.

A disposal is considered effective if the handball or kick goes to a teammate within 35 metres, or if it's a long kick over 35m it goes to a 50/50 contest or better. If during that long kick the opposition wins it, it's considered a turnover (and you lose the metres gained) but the disposal is still considered effective. Champion Data has done absolutely nothing wrong here, it's the author not understanding how the stat is recorded.

I think he has got his body right. Had no preseason and then when he was dropped he had a couple of weeks off (from memory they listed it as a hammy). I think getting that right has allowed him to improve output, not anything to do with being shamed.
Interesting take

What about the other seasons hes been weak at tackling - then gf comes and hes all grunt

+ve
Good 49 points win.

-ve
What is wrong with Waterman?
He looked exhausted since 1st qtr. He was lucky to receive 2 good deliveries inside 50!

Yep, seems outa gas all the time. Fitness seems an issue for some reason this year. Last year, he was burning up and down the wings comfortably.

Just going to toot my own horn cause we won yesterday and I’m feeling alive.

North defending the D50 corridor with their lives. Going to see goal of the year tonight.

Eight minutes later, Willie Rioli happened.

Fair enough.

I'm not quite seeing Judd/Cousins/Kerr or McIntosh/Jakovich/McKenna/Worsfold/Brennan there, but that's a conversation for another thread.
Our 2006 forwards would struggle to kick a goal on our current backs - our 2019 big forwards would kick a few on 2006 - we were always vulnerable to speedy small forwards so they would chip in

No question the 2006 mids would have the edge - but id just have loved to see elliot yeo in a run with role on judd. Matches him for pace - beats him overhead - judd with better footy nouse - battle royale.

Nn vs cox....

I often wonder in say 20 years when quantum computing is a thing - whether tech can create a believable cgi sim of era vs era.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember how untackleable judd was?

And how un-untackleable yeo makes players...

Immovable object meet irresistable force
Judd at his peak (WCE) would 100% burn Yeo at the contest. Too much strength and power

Blues Judd, not so much

He’s eligible for the rising star isn’t he? I know Walsh is the run away winner at the moment but Stack was being talked up on Friday.. would’ve thought Oscar is in that same conversation in regards to the chasing pack.

Hasn't been nominated yet, has he? Certainly deserving. Was excellent again today.

+ JK might be cooked but he's the best thing on the menu
As close as we get these days to a stress free flat tracking
Jetts, Ryan and Rioli bringing the magic, all them love a bit of showtime and when it comes off it's a beautiful thing
Oscar has Go Go Gadget arms, winning ruck knocks against Goldstein is no mean feat
Barass destroying the high balls
Apart from the 2 grubbers Masten was good including a couple of lovely tap ons
Waterman executed with his few chances even though he looked severely fatigued before both kicks
Darling has a head of steam and is flying

- Similar to the last couple of weeks too many marks 30m out and dead in front of our defensive goal
Some players need to stay away from the cute stuff, Nelson's one of them (overall he was good though)
Cameron probably needs a rest, he's finding out AFL is not that easy after all
Frankie got lost a few times and will probably drop out if Hurn comes up
Never been his greatest fan but we miss Duggan running straight at the ball, a case of you don't know what you got till it's gone
Waterman looked like he was running in treacle when trying to chase

They were always going to be a solid side considering 10 years of 1st round draft picks and an academy, but I'm not seeing the evolution of any great "era" side there.

I also think the competition is very weak at the moment. As weak as it's ever been, and it's across the board.

I mean no disrespect to any of your current players, but put that side up against your 2006 or 1990's sides and be realistic, and yet this WCE team could be the first one to go back to back.

We're a much more complete team now than in 2006.
Did you see our forward line during that era?

I think there's a case for this midfield group's work rate as a collective, compared to the 2006 mids- the team role thing seems to have gone up another level ? We're so even across the lines.
A bit of under-experience in the forwards at present.
Judd/Cuzz/Kerr/Stenglein/Fletch/Braun/Cox
Shuey/Yeo/Gaff/Sheed/Redden/Hutch/NN (when he's playing)
The forwards back then-Lynch, Hansen, with Embley, Cox and Hunter dropping in.
But yes, wouldn't it be great to see the two teams play each other!?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back