Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the replay - hard to add anything that hasn’t already been said but what an incredible performance. Yeo and Nic Nat going after Dusty in the second half was just sensational. A couple of big-game players right there.

Biggest positive for me this year is our midfield functioning so well without being overly reliant on anyone. Gaff is having a superb year but just as we’ve got the job done without Shuey, I feel confident we’ve got the depth this year to cover for anyone else going down. Obviously Nic and Lycett’s great form is a huge factor in this too.

Has our forward line ever been better than this? At one point our scores to inside-50s ratio was something like 45 per cent. The AFL average was in the 20s. Wait til we come up against a weaker midfield and can generate more forward entries - scary

Thread on MB started by Tigers fan about farce that is the free kick differential. Glorious.
If I recall correctly, the differential was 2 when I checked at half time. The final tally was 21-10. Evidently I was hallucinating through the 2nd half, because my recollection was that we handed out a good old fashioned spanking, when in reality the tigers probably would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling umpires. :'(

NicNats second half was absolutely ridiculous. Underrated. Took 11 ruck taps and decisively won all of them (including 7 that lead to breakaway clearances for 5 scoring shots). It got so pathetic the Richmond rucks stopped trying in the end - I don't even think I've ever seen that before. Massive call but that was a burst of individual brilliance that compares to the Cousins second half prelim masterclass against Adelaide in 2006 (albeit incomparable scenarios). You can stick all your other ruckmen up your arse.

I especially noticed/liked when Nic Nat at the beginning of the 4th quarter was roaming the centre bounce like a predator compare to his usual calm squats before bouncedown. Look like he had a lot of built up energy from the week off and wanting to release it onto the opposition. He was a beast with his aggresive chasing and terrorising of the Richmond players. Full credit to M Christian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I especially noticed/liked when Nic Nat at the beginning of the 4th quarter was roaming the centre bounce like a predator compare to his usual calm squats before bouncedown. Look like he had a lot of built up energy from the week off and wanting to release it onto the opposition. He was a beast with his aggresive chasing and terrorising of the Richmond players. Full credit to M Christian.
Loved it when he nailed Nankervid, rolled him properly and then even helped the big fella up afterwards.

This game was amazing, we looked as good in this game as the PF versus Hawthorn in 2015, if not a little better.

I just got the feeling that this game is like the away game vs Port in 2015. Beating them gave us belief that year, this game is our version of that this season.

"This game was amazing, we looked as good in this game as the PF versus Hawthorn in 2015, if not a little better."

Yup - exactly what I thought. Fast, skilled, committed, team focused and just too good for the opposition.

Last edited:
The atmosphere at the stadium at the end was awesome, was great just to sit back and relax in that last qtr. That Eagles chant was the loudest I've heard it in years.

Record crowd for a WA footy game + highest ever percentage membership attendance in the club's history. Members are voting wth their feet because it's just such an entertaining, hard brand of footy.

Prediction - the ITW list will just get bigger.

And yes ... that chant ... was simply awesome. Opposition players must be thinking, "... shite I'll be glad to get on the plane and get the hell out of here!"

Members and players have embraced the new stadium.:)

I have watched my Foxtel HD recording on the 75' 4K TV three times since Sunday (watched it when I got home on Sunday as well). Awesome!

A very satisfied member I am!

Negative - It feels a bit uncomfortable to be so cherry ripe in May, sitting a game ahead on top of the ladder.
Every man and his dog will be dissecting and analysing us now, but the same applies to every top team
before they reached the finals, remembering the Tigers finished 3rd.
I remember feeling similarly, early last year. Undefeated after six rounds, winning by big margins, the Crows clobbered Richmond (who were 2nd) by 12+ goals in Round 6. I didn't want to be playing our best footy at the start of the season! Long season, players get tired/injured etc. Then we fell to Earth with losses to NM (we played very dumb wet-weather footy down in Hobart, plus blowing a gale), then Melbourne at home :eek:.
By year's end we were affected by injury (especially Smith, McGovern, 2 of our best), appendectomies ffs (Sloane, Betts) and acrimonious disunity re: Jake Lever. All year, we were top, or second (5 rounds), but the beautiful, fluent, winning footy of the first 6 rounds was long gone by the GF :'(.
The biggest challenge is to be playing winning footy in September --- round 6 results/position for us in 2017 and Round 9 results/position for you become irrelevant.
Having said that, looks to me like your blokes have the cattle, coach and playing style to go all the way.
All the best.

I remember feeling similarly, early last year. Undefeated after six rounds, winning by big margins, the Crows clobbered Richmond (who were 2nd) by 12+ goals in Round 6. I didn't want to be playing our best footy at the start of the season! Long season, players get tired/injured etc. Then we fell to Earth with losses to NM (we played very dumb wet-weather footy down in Hobart, plus blowing a gale), then Melbourne at home :eek:.
By year's end we were affected by injury (especially Smith, McGovern, 2 of our best), appendectomies ffs (Sloane, Betts) and acrimonious disunity re: Jake Lever. All year, we were top, or second (5 rounds), but the beautiful, fluent, winning footy of the first 6 rounds was long gone by the GF :'(.
The biggest challenge is to be playing winning footy in September --- round 6 results/position for us in 2017 and Round 9 results/position for you become irrelevant.
Having said that, looks to me like your blokes have the cattle, coach and playing style to go all the way.
All the best.
Cheers mate. It's a bit like being on a horse that is leading the Melbourne Cup early...you know in your heart it camt keep it up for the full distance.

One thing in our favour so far is the lineup has been very unsettled and we keep getting the job done. Obviously there are some injuries that might derail us but we appear to have buy in from the whole group and a clear enough plan that guys can come in and play a role.

Still, a lot of sides will be watching that second quarter. Richmond had us on toast for 25 minutes.

Still wrapping my head around Rioli's running capacity.

Surely if Ryan comes back, Rioli moves further upfield and gets more midfield minutes.

Absolutely phenomenal from where he has come from. Lad should be proud of himself.

1 major negative

The Freaking Mexican Wave

I am probably likely to be called intolerant but (a) I attend football matches to watch football and (b) we want our boys to be ruthless finishing off the opposition.

Let’s make Optus a House if Pain. As the Richmond supporter sitting next to me said “now I know how GWS supporters felt at the MCG final”.

Cheers mate. It's a bit like being on a horse that is leading the Melbourne Cup early...you know in your heart it cant keep it up for the full distance.

One thing in our favour so far is the lineup has been very unsettled and we keep getting the job done. Obviously there are some injuries that might derail us but we appear to have buy in from the whole group and a clear enough plan that guys can come in and play a role.

Still, a lot of sides will be watching that second quarter. Richmond had us on toast for 25 minutes.
You absolutely can if you're riding Winx!! ;)

Last edited:
1 major negative

The Freaking Mexican Wave

I am probably likely to be called intolerant but (a) I attend football matches to watch football and (b) we want our boys to be ruthless finishing off the opposition.

Let’s make Optus a House if Pain. As the Richmond supporter sitting next to me said “now I know how GWS supporters felt at the MCG final”.
I see where it starts every time too. The buffoons in blocks 533, 534 and 535 start it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back