Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

At the game was watching him pretty specifically as it's a move I found very interesting and thought a few of his clearances were genuine midfielder efforts, not just the ball happening to end up in a players' hands ones.

Hit a few of them at pace onto a ruck tap, muffed one up, caught one and booted it forward to an intercept mark and the other worked out but was all positive stuff and more threatening than what an O'Neill puts out.

Think the game is going more towards having some of those speedy soccer types who make those sprint and spreads from the inside. He actually tackled better and looked more involved on the inside as well.

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether one of your half forward flanks is just soft and disinterested or just a bit of a dumb footballer, think there's a bit of overlap. You have to be a smart footballer to play on the forward flank, I'm not sold on Petch yet but that game at least sold the idea of testing him in a position where nous isn't as crucial. If he can work on defensive chasing I actually reckon his energy could be nice around the contest going forward

I like the move so far. As others have said, he is agile and adds something different in the mix. He has always tackled well (or tried to) in the forward half and obviously has speed. I think the ideal result is that he ends up being the one who gets the first possession in a stoppage (through his attack on the footy), break free (using speed/agility) and then handball it off to someone running by who doesn’t grub every third kick.

Positives

• Maybe Petch can be injected into the middle more often as being in the midst of it may assist his lack of footy nouse for finding the ball adn he can certainly bring tackling pressure with his speed;
  • Couple of the old boys having a red hot crack;
  • "Hewitt, Hough, Chesser, Long, Ginbey and Maric".
Negatives

• We have a real emerging issue with containing small fwds close to goal and once the Saints put in place a plan to bring the ball to ground, preferably over the back, we were toast. We are going to need to add this to the list of things to address in the draft.
  • Disappointing couple of errors by OA in big moments - almost Darling like.
This is why I think we need to draft Hine-Bastion a small backman with elite speed and endurance and a penetrating left foot kick
He can lockdown really well like he did on Dealan then run of and create.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back