Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrass looked good, only issue he slows the game down to much. We need to speed up our game to stop the opposition flooding back
It's somewhat ironic that we played so well in the first half by pulling out the old game style. The second half showed why you need a plan B though.

Just watched Lyon’s presser. He actually gives a lot more insight than Simmo:
  • He liked Hewett and mentioned they “admired him in the draft”
  • Our possession and uncontested marks allowed us to get on top in the first half
  • We played an extra in defence, which they nullified in the second half
  • Williams, Sheed and Shuey important for goals from clearances
  • We were efficient and they weren’t. Based on expected score they should’ve won by 5-6 goals. Although mentioned a lot of their inefficiency was in the last quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Chesser in particular surprised me with how aggressive he was in that skirmish.

Reckon Ginbey (?) was struggling to hold his own against Owens or Windhager and Chess came in and just ragdolled them to the ground. Surprised me because he looks a pretty boy but was great to see.

Ginbey literally picked old mate off the ground like he was nothing though.

Lads gonna be a wrecking ball in 24 months time, absolute monster of a kid.

At this point I'd not only be playing him for the remainder of the year, but starting him ahead of Waterman in 2024. He's very exciting IMO. Still 18. So much development yet to come.
Well waterman doesn't have a contract next year so maric may Bradbury ahead of him in the starting squad !

I know maric has started forward but his field kicking and height makes me want to play him as hurns replacement in the backline .

The way maric moves and kicks very much reminds me of Sicily

I will say on Jack Williams the best thing that happened to him was his spleen injury
He lost 15 kg's and is noticeable lighter and moving better
He was headed straight for a delisting otherwise, he has a chance now not to be delisted
Rubbish . He played very well last year as an 18 year old playing in the beagles with not much supply.

Also he had lost a lot of that weight before his spleen injury and was mentioned multiple times during pre season as a much improved player who was winning 1 on 1 contests vs McGovern.

Heading straight for delisting ?

You were probably one of the posters calling for bailey Williams to be delisted too

I’ve gotta take umbrage with Sumichs ratings in the rag. Especially of Gaff. I’m usually Gaffys biggest critic but in that first half he went hard at every contest and there were a few of them. Contests that over the last few weeks WC players would wait; he halved so many contests and really ; along with Shuey and Cripps; set the standard.I would have given him a solid 7.
He has a love affair with OA ( don’t we all) but really he didn’t have a great game. Dropped a couple of gettable marks.
Long got a 4/10. He worked his arse off.Chased and chased and chased. Didn’t always catch but never stopped trying. Plus equal goal of the day and definitely kick/ pass of the day infield to Cripps. So clever that boy. Can’t wait to get him and Ryan going together.
i was a bit confused about Suma's rating too - guess its just an opinion though he really seems to dislike Gaff

Games like yesterday make you glad you’re a member of this club. Even with 20 players out we were competitive and gave it a red-hot crack. I hope this gives all the naysayers and anarchists the capacity to reflect on our circumstances at the moment and take some solace from the young kid’s performance today and the as-yet newbies to be drafted in 4 months’ time. During the game yesterday, fellow members were discussing the calls for boycotts and sackings and the consensus was if you don’t like the way things are going, f**k off and support some other team.

Almost no doubt that we’re going to get our arse kicked a couple more times before the season ends, but it we can show that level of enthusiasm and commitment, I’m looking forward to watching our further development in 2024.
It's not a mutually exclusive situation in that you can be very dissatisfied with the management and teams performance over the last few years, free to voice your opinion, self-melt, and still be a loyal fan supporting the team or club. Most aren't haters for hates sake (although you'd think some are) they just want to see a better performance from the top down and the Saints match was an example of what can be achieved with a patched together team.

Which begs the question why isn't that effort - or something closer to that effort - brought every week, and especially during the greater losses we've had? And curiously we were missing TK? Surely Cripps+Hurn's inclusion aren't the reason - they don't have superpowers, a couple of two old footy geezers? I don't need an answer to this question really.
All the (press) criticism, anarchy and naysaying for the past week did appear to have a positive effect?
But great effort by all concerned on the weekend, hope we see more of it!

Last edited:
Well waterman doesn't have a contract next year so maric may Bradbury ahead of him in the starting squad !

I know maric has started forward but his field kicking and height makes me want to play him as hurns replacement in the backline .

The way maric moves and kicks very much reminds me of Sicily
Nah, hes Fritsch mk2. Great handballer under pressure with both decision making and execution. Disclaimer!! i wasnt the first with this so ive just jumped on sombodys bandwagon; cant remember who.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, hes Fritsch mk2. Great handballer under pressure with both decision making and execution. Disclaimer!! i wasnt the first with this so ive just jumped on sombodys bandwagon; cant remember who.
Not sure about comparisons, but he has already showen great poise, game sense and skill. With his height and mobioity he could be quite a weapon. He will be better for a pre season (or two)

I’ve gotta take umbrage with Sumichs ratings in the rag. Especially of Gaff. I’m usually Gaffys biggest critic but in that first half he went hard at every contest and there were a few of them. Contests that over the last few weeks WC players would wait; he halved so many contests and really ; along with Shuey and Cripps; set the standard.I would have given him a solid 7.
He has a love affair with OA ( don’t we all) but really he didn’t have a great game. Dropped a couple of gettable marks.
Long got a 4/10. He worked his arse off.Chased and chased and chased. Didn’t always catch but never stopped trying. Plus equal goal of the day and definitely kick/ pass of the day infield to Cripps. So clever that boy. Can’t wait to get him and Ryan going together.

Didn’t think much of Gaff’s game at the full time siren, just because it was a bit of a winnable game and I was riding every kick. But upon reflection, how physicality early (and throughout) was a bit of a tone setter. As many have said, if the veterans play they have to set the tone and he did well in that regard.

Having Gaff and Hill play near eachother was exploited a few times, and I’m not saying sign him up or anything, but he cracked in hard and tackled well/straight lined the footy a lot. Good effort game from top to bottom.
Yeah Gaff kept fronting up, there was an instance in the last qtr which looked like a head on collision was inevitable, Gaff got their first put his head down for the ball and didn't flinch. Credit to the bloke coming the other way for not killing him but it was gutsy by Gaff.

Rubbish . He played very well last year as an 18 year old playing in the beagles with not much supply.

Also he had lost a lot of that weight before his spleen injury and was mentioned multiple times during pre season as a much improved player who was winning 1 on 1 contests vs McGovern.

Heading straight for delisting ?

You were probably one of the posters calling for bailey Williams to be delisted too
He also wouldn’t have been cut considering the only other key forward on the list other than Allen is a 32 year undersized player on virtually his last legs. Proper key positions players take time and club don’t really delist em after a year or two

He said it himself when asked for a player comparison IIRC.

What a load of ass that is btw

Why would Campbell Chesser pay as much as Rowan Marshall for when their salaries are probably 3x apart

Agreed - I think proportionate fines is something the AFLPA have been pushing for and if they haven’t they should be

Mutimer would be paying out his ass in fines then.

Amirite!

family guy reaction s GIF

Chesser in particular surprised me with how aggressive he was in that skirmish.

Reckon Ginbey (?) was struggling to hold his own against Owens or Windhager and Chess came in and just ragdolled them to the ground. Surprised me because he looks a pretty boy but was great to see.
One might say Chesser was the white knight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back