Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

A fair bit each way there. We are not good, but we might be less not good than last year?

Positives:
  • Harley Reid. BDE. Can't be upset with any of that.
  • Bailey Williams. Worked his tail off and got plenty of reward for it today.
  • Petch. Could have had more but three goals and one of the few that chased, presented, took it on.
  • Kelly. Surprised his numbers were so low because, for the majority of the game, he was the one winning us the pill.
  • Chesser. Showed plenty after subbing on, please Simmo please just do what needs to be done here.
  • Contested effort and workrate was right up for the majority of the game. Killed in transition but scrapped in tight.
  • Handball receives and playing on from behind in our best patches looked great. More of that please.

Negatives:
  • No ability to clear defensive fifty with any consistency. Some boundary thrown ins on the wing, a mark on the wing, anything. Ball was just live every time we exited fifty.
  • Coast to coast after behinds, way too easy. Short kicks with handballs received, long kicks to the 50, didn't seem to matter.
  • Darling, Allen, Waterman not nearly doing enough up the ground. Aliir and Esava shaped the game every time we won the ball.
  • Gaff, done. Barrass humbled early, held his own after that but didn't set a great tone.
  • Scoreboard would have been brutal if Port kicked decently (but also they wouldn't have had so many easy cut offs as we tried to leave the fifty so who knows).
  • Let go of the rope in the final 10 minutes. Port poured in on (again, not like they might have) but very flat way to finish an afternoon with signs.

Actually alright with how game went. Score was better then I predicted

1. Jammo is a defender and has the most potential
2. Ginbey is a winger. Can match other wingers in endurance and speed while also his low touches is not a liability on the wing
3. I don't want to see Harley Reid in the fwd line (until we are top 8 contending). Ball will not go fwd. Rather see him in the backline as secondary position . Also refer to saving witho ass as to why he is vital in back as secondary
4. Chesser decent game

Last edited:

I'm pretty happy with that all things considered.
Yep. Should have been much worse but the intent was there and there were some good passages and signs. Skills are horrible and the sooner we can turn over some senior players, the better, but it's a waiting game unfortunately.

Positives:
Green shoots

Negatives:
Darling, Gaff and Barrass all showing the exact qualities that contributed to our inability to go back to back. It's a damn shame that Shuey/Naitanui weren't able to have the longevity because they left everything on field. We're left with three key senior players who are uninspiring and delivered worst on ground performances during a rebuild.

Positives
  • Chess showed he can play at the top level
  • Harley WILL be a superstar
  • Brockman had some nice touches
  • Waterman and Petch did pretty well
  • Gov played out the match after his knock - and did well
  • Gaff was subbed
  • the result was 70 points better than the thrashing we had there last year

Negatives
  • Oscar (hopefully just the after-effects of gastro)
  • Kelly went missing in the second half
  • Barrass mauled
  • Our game plan (or lack of) coming out from the back half

Hunt was pretty solid as well. Made some errors but did so taking the game on. He's clearly going to be the main playmaker down back so guys need to be moving when he has the ball. Make his job easier rather than forcing him to kick to a contest or having to take risky kicks all the time.

+
Harley
Chesser
Petch
Jamieson - show's a bit, still unsure as to whether he will make it.
Gov
Hunt

-
Gaff - cooked
Darling - looks cooked
L.Edwards - to slow
Witherden
Barrass - worst game iv'e seen him play

Had a crack but ultimately a well below par performance.

+
A few youngsters showed glimpses. Reid was tidy on debut, Chesser should move to starting 22, Long and Ginbey did some good things, but that group needs to up possession.

Williams is a clearance beast and provides a contest for us.

Petch loves kicking goals while losing against Port

-
Same s**t, different year. Margain was flattering in the end and still find ourselves on the bottom of the ladder. I can see it being close to 2030 before we compete in finals again.

We lost some experienced heads Shuey, Hurn, NN last year but kept Gaff and Darling.

Would it kill us to play in front? And some of our fundamentals, especially kicking and tackling were atrocious. Our kick ins were painful to watch as well, happy to go long down the line every time and we had nobody moving to even provide a shorter option.

Neutral point. How many 50+ point losses before any heat is applied to Simmo?

Positives

Liked Williams game, he can build on that.
Reid and Jamison both impressive.
Cheese looked good when he came into the game.
Not a Petch fan but he stayed involved and hit the scoreboard so well done to him.
Some of the ball movement was promising.

Negatives

Our senior players. One of the hardest things for a 10 year coach to take on a rebuild is to get your senior players out of their comfort zone and to get them as enthusiastic as the new young players at the club are. That the majority of our senior players were non contributing today says to me there is no pressure at all on them to perform. Simmo has to draw a line in the sand with them as the future is no longer about them it’s about the young players.

Our accountability when we don’t have the ball is still very poor and watching today our players actually watch their opponent run away from them and into space and simply don’t go with them. This is pretty basic stuff but if you can’t do this then the huge losses will continue and it will dampen some of the more positive signs.

Some good things today but overall probably should have lost by 80 plus.
Play the kids and give no favours at all to any senior players. That has to be the pathway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+
A few youngsters showed glimpses. Reid was tidy on debut, Chesser should move to starting 22, Long and Ginbey did some good things, but that group needs to up possession.

Williams is a clearance beast and provides a contest for us.

Petch loves kicking goals while losing against Port

-
Same s**t, different year. Margain was flattering in the end and still find ourselves on the bottom of the ladder. I can see it being close to 2030 before we compete in finals again.

We lost some experienced heads Shuey, Hurn, NN last year but kept Gaff and Darling.

Would it kill us to play in front? And some of our fundamentals, especially kicking and tackling were atrocious. Our kick ins were painful to watch as well, happy to go long down the line every time and we had nobody moving to even provide a shorter option.

Neutral point. How many 50+ point losses before any heat is applied to Simmo?
How can that group of players up their possession tallies in a meaningful way when their team-mates are trash? It'd be a different story if they played for GWS, Collingwood or Sydney I'm sure

Positives
Reid, Petch, and. Chesser No injuries??????????
Negatives.
Gaff cannot play a game unless we have another injury crisis.
defensive pressure was bad and the forwards also must take some blame.
Some shocking kicking errors. Hopefully will improve.

Negative - No one not the least bit concerned that we conceded 40....FORTY shots on goal?
I didn't see a second but that was my first GLARINGLY OBVIOUS worry.

Might be more of the same in 2024 I think but as long as we get continuous games into (mainly young) guys then who cares

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Negative - No one not the least bit concerned that we conceded 40....FORTY shots on goal?
Realistically, Port should have converted better, sending the ball back to the middle more. This season is going to be ugly but it won't be 40-shots ugly every week.

Gaff 4 touches
Barrass 4
Darling 4

The senior players continue to let the team down. There's only so much argument that it's good to have them in the team when they can actually show some leadership.

This right here.

Our 3 lowest ranked players, in a team full of kids mind you are 3 senior leaders in their respective lines. Absolute shambles leadership and performance from these 3.

One is our Vice Captain, the other 2 are All Australians we keep backing in due to credits and whatever is in Simpsons crack pipe.

Gaff in particular is shocking. If ever there was an obvious sign, in front of everyone that Gaff is past it, it was his game vs Chessers today. Absurd

Darling I can understand somewhat, but there's no excuse for Gaff to even be playing.

The young and mid aged guys drove the team today, which was a big positive.

Harley Reid had a really solid debut.

Yeo looked fit and run out the game well.

Gaff looks completely cooked. Hopefully he's dropped to the WAFL and not just sub next week. I'm a big Darling fan, but he looked cooked as well.

Duggan's disposal was putrid. I didn't like the co-captain thing when it was announced, but today I was seething that a guy that average is a captain of this club.

TB played poorly.

Overall, some green shoots but there's a lot of room for improvement. The effort and two way running wasn't always there, which is an indictment on the coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back