Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll agree to disagree on this I guess. I do see your point, and agree that Schoey is happy to have a crack at the club.

I hope you also see my point that the senior players as a group have been poor for a long period of time (since Covid) and quite often those performances have been hidden behind excuses whether they come from the club or from insider knowledge.

Okay so you're not saying the club or Schoey in particular is making an excuse, but moreso because word got to Schoey at all and the boys didn't keep it to themselves that they've kind of made an excuse for the performance?

Could be as simple as Duggo having the shits. He films a weekly podcast at Schoeys studio. Maybe they had to move the date or time it was filmed because he was also unwell or called into an unexpected leadership meeting because OA was down and others were starting to turn green. I'm not automatically circling to the players have leaked the info of gastro ripping through the playing group as an excuse, but I won't rule it out. In that regard Simmo set the tone by not volunteering the information in the presser. I hope that is maintained by all club media this week also.

I guess with Ginbey and his preseason prep on his physique, it's easy to think he's improved his footy as well, and it's easy to make comparisons with Reid, both new, young mids. But Reid is a #1 generational player, and it shows. He was amongst a very good oppo midfield, one of the best in the comp, and he was doing things they couldn't do (brief signs).

Rubes is a different beast, what is he, a top 20 pick from Busso, he has all the right attributes to be molded into a long term reliable player. At the moment he's a big brash battering ram, throws himself into every contest, has some speed, has a tank, courage, strength, can tackle - but lacks finesse and skills, footy smarts basically. Needs to get his own ball more, to pick and choose his moments, he appears to always be chasing a man or ball, expending lots of energy; a bit of the dog about him = see ball, get ball. But he will learn in time to pace himself and make the right decisions. He's got a long kick on him, can boot the ball! Could make a good winger?

But we invest too much too early in these young guys and have great expectations, need to let them grow into it(Hewett is another one). Rubes played most of last season, very much plug+play out of desperation. You could argue this preseason he was fully immersed in the new gameplan and is only one game in (applies to all), so we need to cut them some slack. You'd hope to see some change or progress by mid season and we might see him in different positions, meanwhile in a couple of years? ....early days.
He had a very good moment when he broke a tackle, lowered his eyes and short passed to Cripps who goaled.

The signs are there, he’s obviously not the full package yet. Patience needed.

The game was an improvement on where I thought it could be but as the last 175 posts detail, it could’ve been ugly.

Gaff is guilty of being well past his use by date and he’s aged like milk. Looks sluggish and clunky in his movements and struggles to get involved. He has a place in the squad but it can’t be holding out Chesser who looked like the player we hoped he can be.

I didn’t think Reid would start as brightly as he did with the pressure and scrutiny. Happy to be wrong. He looks the bees knees.

BBB. I thought he was going to get a toweling given the strong matchup but his athleticism lets him go and go and go. I love it.

Jamieson’s intent was solid but I’m not sure I saw it the way most of you did - happy to hold judgement though.

TB and Darling were rubbish, but it was one game.

Ginbey (and Williams) was probably one of our most positive finds from last season. I wonder what it does to someone's confidence when a new bloke rolls in with unprecedented hype and essentially takes your spot in the midfield? Then Yeo gets healthy and you get shuffled even further back. I'm not writing him off just yet. Just needs a few weeks to gel together with the on ball brigade.

Negatives
  • Too many easily goals given up, from poor turnovers or letting them transition far too easily
  • Jack Darling was pathetic at best
  • Gaff, back to the two's to find some form
  • Otherwise pretty much as expected. Port are a good side with Butters and Rozee in the middle

Positives
  • Reid was great, absolute footballer
  • Jamieson was very good, best game I've seen from him
  • Good to see Gov playing back to his best
  • Williams very good in ruck

Apart from the ordinary performance of the majority of senior players, our exit from defence was atrocious. Constantly turning the ball over, lacking composure or just too slow. Harley had a very good debut, Waterman worked hard all day and have to say Petch was one of our best.

OUT: Gaff, Darling, LEdwaerds, Witherden, Cole
IN: Chesser, Hall, Burgiel, Jones, Maric/JWilliams

I’d have Burgiel and JJ starting on the HBFs to give us some run and rebound out of defence. I’d be applying the Chris Masten rule to Duggo and Hunt in that they are to pass to their first available simple option in the event that they break a line because it’s useless if you then turn the ball over. I don’t think we can afford to sit Harley deep in the forward line against GWS. Would much rather him on a HBF intercepting and breaking lines (not Sheezel cheapies) when resting out of the midfield.

Brockman as the sub, looked a bit underdone last game and would be a useful replacement anywhere in the forward half of the ground.

Oscar to play CHF with Maric or JWilliams deep in the goal square one out.

Posters having a dig at Ginbey just need to chill out a bit. * all CBAs and IMO played the role he was given just fine. Hopefully he goes to Tom Green this week and learns how to use his body and power as well as seeing the running patterns of an elite version of himself. I would resist the temptation to name Burgiel in a forward pocket despite his newly found goal kicking nous.

A couple positive moments stood out to me:
Petch - running through the tackler
Ginbey - hitting a contest at speed and disposing well
Jameison -There was a marking contest where you could see he decided it would be his ball, he came in from the side and marked it.

Moments like that can have an impact on players feeling like they belong out there and the confidence that builds is very important.

Some negatives:
Kicking long to the right at every kick in
Our defensive pressure at times was atrocious, you could see players had just given up and were jogging around behind the play making up the numbers too many times.
Gaff trying to run defensively and getting blown away because of his lack of pace.
Cripps having to run past other players to guard space for an opposition shot on goal from outside 50.

Was surprised by some of Edwards stats.
  • Highest average speed on the ground - 9km/hr average
  • Highest average speed in attack on the ground - 8.7km/hr
  • Second most distance covered on the ground - 13.2kms
  • Covered the most distance at high speed - 2.3kms
  • As many disposals as Kelly & Reid - 16
Yea I don’t know why people keep saying he’s no good. He makes the odd mistake but also makes plenty of good decisions which advantage teammates and the team. He’s getting better each outing which is par for the course after being out injured for so long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive- Reid was fantastic. Chesser looking better every game. Jameson also improving and looking better down back.

Negatory- Glad Yeo got through the game unscathed, but he was largely invisible all day imo.
Still won’t stop kicking long and to the right on every kick in. 🤦‍♀️
Senior players were upstaged by a kid in his first game who showed more class and better decision making than all of them.

From what I have been told the back and neck issue is much more severe than even Tom spoke about, particularly from a footballing sense. Barrass has a genuine top 2% intellect and I really wouldn't be surprised if he was forced to or took retirement much earlier than the end of his current contract as he can do so much outside of football.

I was in Perth for a couple of meetings and a dinner a few weeks back and the Barrass to Sydney trade was discussed, particularly as I didn't hear anything major about it whilst over east last year. I was told that it really wasn't but it was irrelevant as Barrass was highly unlikely to pass the physical, particularly at Sydney as they are very, very thorough.

Would absolutely hate to see him go early, but at the same time if his body is legitimately cooked sooner rather than later, I'm confident he'd be smarter than most about the situation. Bloke seems very self-aware etc.

Schofield said on the shelter footy cast more than just oscar had gastro this week would be interesting to know who

Haven’t got access to the article but agree with Kornes headline. Senior players were generally poor and in particular our Leaders in Allen, Duggan and TB.
Need to be better this week at home and we will be quite competitive.

TB will have a big job on Hogan while Allen probably gets Sam Taylor. Duggan tried pretty hard just made basic mistakes and needs to tidy it up. 47% disposal efficiency says it all.

Kane Cornes bemused by Andrew Gaff’s selection as he torches West Coast veterans after poor display​

West Coast were outclassed by Port Adelaide to the tune of 50 points to open their 2024 season and former Port star Kane Cornes believes the team’s failures lie on the shoulders of their veterans.
The Eagles showed plenty of fight in what was always going to be a tough match-up but the performances of some of their experienced heads left plenty to be desired.
Top of the list was Andrew Gaff, who had just four touches before being subbed out for Campbell Chesser in the third term, while Jack Darling was also poor with just one kick - a goal - among four disposals.
Cornes questioned why the Eagles continue to persist with Gaff on a wing.
“Why is Andrew Gaff still playing?” Cornes said on SEN.
“He’s washed up. He’s had more free games given to him in the past two years than anyone else in the history of the AFL.
“So him and (Jack) Darling are they that hard up that they can’t find younger players to take their spots.”
“There needs to be some selection integrity.”

Former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley believes a positional switch could solve Gaff’s woes but admits he looks like a player with no confidence in his game.
“Why would you just not play him off half-back? If he’s a good left-footer, use it,” he said.
“It’s a great mystery how he’s gone from a player who struggled to not get 30 disposals to this.
“He should be dropped because he’s giving very little if you’re not going to give and perform as a senior player, the fact that he can have a round one performance like that his confidence must be shot.”
Gaff wasn’t the only veteran to catch the ire of Cornes, who said many of their senior players failed to stand up.
“Port Adelaide still laid more tackles than West Coast despite having a million more disposals,” he said.

“(Tom) Barrass four touches, Gaff four touches subbed out, (Jack) Petruccelle eight touches, (Oscar) Allen was awful and didn’t hit the scoreboard.
“These are the players that need to stand up because they’re so inexperienced.”
Eagles coach Adam Simpson defended his selection of Gaff but admitted he is under pressure after Chesser impressed in his place.
“He didn’t have a good half,” he said post-game.
“His form over pre-season warranted selection. He was out of touch today, so we subbed him in the second half.
“I thought Campbell was pretty good when he came on so we will have to assess that during the week.”

Gaff is guilty of being well past his use by date and he’s aged like milk. Looks sluggish and clunky in his movements and struggles to get involved. He has a place in the squad but it can’t be holding out Chesser who looked like the player we hoped he can be.
Where would that be though? A slow aged plodder? Aren't we trying to transition away from that?
Maybe bring out the gatorade at half time? He actually looks too cooked to play Wafl?
He's not getting my job - official halftime orange slice man - I've got a long term contract!?

Where would that be though? A slow aged plodder? Aren't we trying to transition away from that?
Maybe bring out the gatorade at half time? He actually looks too cooked to play Wafl?
He's not getting my job - official halftime orange slice man - I've got a long term contract!?
Center half bench, Left right out

Think darling is done aswell.
There was one passage of play in our forward line where port spoiled the ball, another port player got the ball and Jack jogged half assed for a couple of steps, then gave up. The port player didnt have anythig to kick to so Jack started chasing again. If Jack had tryed to run him down and didn't give up so bloody easily he would have had him cold holding the ball. Terrible example for a senior player to set and i hope they get stuck into him at the team meetings. Young Jack used to chase hard and would have mowed that player down and squashed the life out of him.

Kane Cornes bemused by Andrew Gaff’s selection as he torches West Coast veterans after poor display​

Former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley believes a positional switch could solve Gaff’s woes but admits he looks like a player with no confidence in his game.
“Why would you just not play him off half-back? If he’s a good left-footer, use it,” he said.
Buckley's keen on seeing end of career Adam Selwood mkII
Jesus...the thought of the oppositions quickest small forward burning Gaff over and over again would be a great way to start the season off

For some reason Barass kept watching Dixon and not the ball. He’s one of the best high marks in the game, why not just watch the ball.
Ginbey seemed unsure at times whether to stay on his man or go and try and impact the contest. Hunt, young man, hunt!!
When we split the picks I was keen on Hewitt/Phillipou.Time will tell.If nothing else he will make a formidable B/F er.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back