Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Also on Jack Williams game, his stats line (8 disp, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 4 HO & 1.1) wasn’t at all dissimilar to Jack Darling (6 disp, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 HO & 1.1).

For mine that makes a mockery of Simpson’s call earlier in the year that he wouldn’t drop Darling despite poor output when you have a much younger player busting for an opportunity at WAFL level. Know Williams had the spleen issue in the early part of the season but it was more the principle of what Simpson was saying that irked me.
I will say on Jack Williams the best thing that happened to him was his spleen injury
He lost 15 kg's and is noticeable lighter and moving better
He was headed straight for a delisting otherwise, he has a chance now not to be delisted

I might be wrong but IIRC for the tackle to count it has to impact the play. Either stop the player altogether or effect disposal that it doesn't go to a teammate.
I thought that was an effective tackle which Champion Data counts, but isn’t part of the typical tackle stat. Might be wrong, either way I’m sure we can all agree that our tackling was miles better yesterday than our usual effort

Let's not kid ourselves this game wasn't due to the young guns. It was because the senior players pulled their fingers out.

It shows you what can happen when you have intent without the cattle. So it's a perfect game
Credit where credit is due but the kids are learning how to make the required effort and they did well. Do not disregard their energy and its influence.

Credit where credit is due but the kids are learning how to make the required effort and they did well. Do not disregard their energy and its influence.
I meant it was a collective (everyone) intent that got us over. Not a young player starring.

Senior players playing out of their skin + everyone showing intent is the result

One thing we learned also

- The midfield and clearance situation is better when Tim Kelly isnt involved

Move Tim Kelly to HFF and out of the centre permanently please

While i can see your point, i still think Kelly would be best used at the stoppages. His ball gathering and extraction is sublime, but he needs to look at a different way he disposes of the ball. He is guilty of so many direct turnovers after brilliant play. If we can change the disposal type, perhaps have a situation where a Petch, JJ or Jones is running past to receive a hand ball from Kelly would be better for the team (though Kelly sucks at handballs too).

I think there's an issue if TK and Sheed are both at the bounce. Both are outsiders who rely on others to win the hard ball. I'd rather Sheed be banished and TK stay, or even TK play on the wing. Sheed is useless without dominant inside ball winners. Swans around like a f-wit getting easy ball.

While i can see your point, i still think Kelly would be best used at the stoppages. His ball gathering and extraction is sublime, but he needs to look at a different way he disposes of the ball. He is guilty of so many direct turnovers after brilliant play. If we can change the disposal type, perhaps have a situation where a Petch, JJ or Jones is running past to receive a hand ball from Kelly would be better for the team (though Kelly sucks at handballs too).
Id give him small bursts in the midfield still but primarily he is too much of a liability in the centre square and bounce situation where its 3/3 to play in that role

I find Sheed the same liability so id move him out too. Next year when we can get more of a rotation in there it should be Shuey/Ginbey/Hewett/Yeo/Culley first and foremost and then after this a bit of Kelly/Sheed/Reid (fingers crossed) / Petch/Cripps in there too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing I liked was the scuffle in the 2nd quarter with the players flying the flag, especially the young ones who got involved

It was important for morale as was the celebrating of teammates goals during the first half

Dom Sheed could be the slowest, most fumbly inside mid I've ever seen. Long may it continue.

I feel the same way about Fremantle and premierships

Only Sheed has a definitive end date though

The other thing I liked was the scuffle in the 2nd quarter with the players flying the flag, especially the young ones who got involved

It was important for morale as was the celebrating of teammates goals during the first half
Chesser in particular surprised me with how aggressive he was in that skirmish.

Reckon Ginbey (?) was struggling to hold his own against Owens or Windhager and Chess came in and just ragdolled them to the ground. Surprised me because he looks a pretty boy but was great to see.

I’ve gotta take umbrage with Sumichs ratings in the rag. Especially of Gaff. I’m usually Gaffys biggest critic but in that first half he went hard at every contest and there were a few of them. Contests that over the last few weeks WC players would wait; he halved so many contests and really ; along with Shuey and Cripps; set the standard.I would have given him a solid 7.
He has a love affair with OA ( don’t we all) but really he didn’t have a great game. Dropped a couple of gettable marks.
Long got a 4/10. He worked his arse off.Chased and chased and chased. Didn’t always catch but never stopped trying. Plus equal goal of the day and definitely kick/ pass of the day infield to Cripps. So clever that boy. Can’t wait to get him and Ryan going together.

Chesser in particular surprised me with how aggressive he was in that skirmish.

Reckon Ginbey (?) was struggling to hold his own against Owens or Windhager and Chess came in and just ragdolled them to the ground. Surprised me because he looks a pretty boy but was great to see.
Chesser and Owens played together at Sandringham.

There wasn't any malice in it, he just saw an opportunity to fly the flag and ragdoll an old teammate in the process. They both got up smiling.

EDIT: At the 1 hour mark - Match Replay: West Coast v St Kilda

One of the few times ever I'm genuinely buzzing from a loss the day after.

I know we didn't get the chocolates, but that was a huge effort led by a mix of young and old.

Hewitt was the standout. Barrass looked top shelf. Oscar Allen needs the captaincy, just stands up week after week.
Jack Williams goal was nice.
Barnett making a strong tackle and then standing over his victim was a nice touch. I know it was an 8 minute cameo out of desperation, but the lad tried. As his player sponsor, I'd like to remind everyone he's a young dude trying his best. Go on lad.

Much much better.

Good stuff

Didn’t think much of Gaff’s game at the full time siren, just because it was a bit of a winnable game and I was riding every kick. But upon reflection, how physicality early (and throughout) was a bit of a tone setter. As many have said, if the veterans play they have to set the tone and he did well in that regard.

Having Gaff and Hill play near eachother was exploited a few times, and I’m not saying sign him up or anything, but he cracked in hard and tackled well/straight lined the footy a lot. Good effort game from top to bottom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back