Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

This will be unpopular but how the hell is Jude Bolton picked in the midfield before Parker and Jack, in fact he's probably lucky to be in there at all, given he only played 2 seasons in that time frame.

This will be unpopular but how the hell is Jude Bolton picked in the midfield before Parker and Jack, in fact he's probably lucky to be in there at all, given he only played 2 seasons in that time frame.
O'Keefe on the bench is insulting, and I have NFI how Mills got in

Nah good point by 2012 he was more a flanker and supporting player

Yeah but that's proving to be a one off which is a shame
I was at that game. With a Hawks supporter. Watching this unknown kid rip them a new one was delightful to see

I was at that game. With a Hawks supporter. Watching this unknown kid rip them a new one was delightful to see
Oh there would be nothing better. Just a shame it's been all down hill since then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right, he was better than good

lol like so you are joking?

He was straight up barely past ordinary vfl. I get that he was well liked, and he was tenacious i do give him that. but he just couldn't compete in the mids, and as a full time forward went at a single goal per game. Ronke, even off his disappointing 19' is a superior player already. Can actually kick over 30-35 metres, and can hit targets. Papley, at 23, has kicked more goals in a year than McGlynn ever produced. And thats for bottom 4 teams. McGlynn had the luxury of basically his whole career in finals teams, 4 GFs. McGlynn never passed 30 goals in a year.

lol like so you are joking?

He was straight up barely past ordinary vfl. I get that he was well liked, and he was tenacious i do give him that. but he just couldn't compete in the mids, and as a full time forward went at a single goal per game. Ronke, even off his disappointing 19' is a superior player already. Can actually kick over 30-35 metres, and can hit targets. Papley, at 23, has kicked more goals in a year than McGlynn ever produced. And thats for bottom 4 teams. McGlynn had the luxury of basically his whole career in finals teams, 4 GFs. McGlynn never passed 30 goals in a year.

I will concede that I think absence has made the heart grow fonder where McGlynn is concerned. But I still think it's harsh to say he was VFL-standard. He had a lot of good games in the senior team, which makes him AFL standard.

I will concede that I think absence has made the heart grow fonder where McGlynn is concerned. But I still think it's harsh to say he was VFL-standard. He had a lot of good games in the senior team, which makes him AFL standard.

He had a few. In dominant teams.
Running at at empty goal square.. the kick falling short and dribbling away for a behind. Thats McGlynn. Any afl player should be able to kick those, for a full time forward its simply inadequate, grinding out a goal a game over a decade in top teams doesn't make him a good footballer.

1.1 goals a game, never more than 30 in a year while playing finals.

Going for the flag with one of the single most expensive players in the league, the list management had to be ruthless and keep depth turning over.

1.1 goals a game. Hayward, Ronke, Papley have all matched or surpassed that measure early in their careers for teams without nearly as much midfield assistance.

Even if his salary was the minimium it would've been more productive to move him on sooner. Look at the 2013 draft where we passed at pick 53. Fantasia, Sicily and Hunt we're the next 3 picks.

We gave Schneider away for nothing and he kicked more goals despite more time in the midfield and in defense, and only played for a year less. We gave Everitt away for nothing in 2013 and he kicked more goals for bottom of the ladder Carlton than McGlynn ever came up with.

Last edited:
He kicked 24 goals. Papleys lowest goal return is 24. I think the club isn't very public with B&F results? He wouldn't ever have got near top 10

Was a full time defensive midfielder so those 24 goals are more than they seem.

Came 7th in the real B&F, playing 6 games less than everyone ahead of him.

Who came ahead of him?

I would've had all of Buddy, Malceski, JPK, Parker, Smith, McVeigh and Rampe at least ahead of McGlynn that year. That's not to say he wasn't still good.

Full results here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back