Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious?
2019 first year in finals after being 5hit for several years, were never going to win Premiership
2020 no-one was beating Richmond, Geelong who had been playing finals for more than 10 years, couldn’t go with them after half time
2021 would we have put in a better effort than the dogs ? Maybe but the result would still be a loss to the Demons. Don’t forget Dogs won flag in 2016
2022 after several near misses since 2011, Cats finally salute
2023 miss a Premiership by less than a goal, to a team with more players over 30 and had played in losing GF in 2018
Window is well and truly still open

And the way you carry on about Fagan, reminds me of the old Cats supporters consistently calling for Chris Scott’s head, only for them to head to the hills to hide when he delivered
Can’t polish excuses.
(Edited for brevity)

Last edited:

Three words: "Can't polish excuses" (similar to "Can't polish turds").
Eureka! We’ve done it. I have a feeling we might be using “Can’t Polish Excuses’” a fair bit MSB ROYS!

Well I'm in a good mood at least.

Tsamina mina sangalewa!

Premiership chances now that is Coleman is out for the year be like:

Celebrate Rest In Peace GIF by Jason Clarke

You can’t polish excuses in the trophy cabinet.
But you can enjoy the success and the hope of what may be.
2006 Geelong decide to keep Bomber Thompson as coach, they win 3 of the next 5 flags
2016 Richmond decide to stick with Dimma, they win 3 of the next 4 flags
Clarko gets an early one in 2008, Kennett many times over the ensuing years questions keeping Clarko, they win 2013, 14, 15.

But you can enjoy the success and the hope of what may be.
2006 Geelong decide to keep Bomber Thompson as coach, they win 3 of the next 5 flags
2016 Richmond decide to stick with Dimma, they win 3 of the next 4 flags
Clarko gets an early one in 2008, Kennett many times over the ensuing years questions keeping Clarko, they win 2013, 14, 15.
The hate from some albeit a minority for Fages really astounds me.

Our side is a very good side, how good they can become will be answered over the next 2-4 seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much the go to for any numpty fans is to blame the coach regardless of any sort of evidence that he’s doing a decent job
Yep, our side might just not be good enough atm. Who do you blame, the easiest scapegoat.

A hell of a lot of work goes into a Premiership side - Recruitment/talent identification, medical/rehab team, welfare, front office cohesion, coaching/development, luck re injuries.... and there are 17 other clubs all doing their utmost to get the same prize/or build towards it every season.

Our side is a very good side, how good they can become will be answered over the next 2-4 seasons.
And there are those that blame a loss on “being out-coached” “no plan B”
Do people seriously think it’s a coach’s fault, if a team cannot kick goals?
1/4 time Lions were 7.2 and then kicked 5.11 after that

Give me the Fagan years over the Leppa years anytime, when the wins were rarer than hen’s teeth

BE849006-CF2A-44C8-AF3D-AE84BE6591D9.jpeg

Taking the piss, surely.

I’ll go Daniher for launching from 50 out when had 2 players open. Or Oscar for putting it down the throat of Carlton mids when up against Cripps.

When asked at his presser about playing Darcy Gardiner forward, which didn’t work, his position was he won’t judge after one game, because it worked well in the pre-season practice matches, which I think might have been two games. Knowing Fagan, it will take half a season of failure before he realises that his “idea” of playing a career defender who is currently in much better form than Jack Payne, as a forward might not be sustainable. Rather than dropping the out of form player and playing Gardiner in defence, he will rigidly stick to his idea, because it worked in the pre-season practice matches. As the saying goes, Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.

Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results – Quote Investigator®

What form are you talking about? We're 1 full season game and 2 pre-season games into the year, there is no 'Form' to go off at this stage of the season. I'm not going to disagree that Payne had a rough game, but acting like it's some grand failing on behalf of Fagan ignoring some non-existent factor just reeks of bias.

Diz played a decent game forward, and considering how piss weak we were in the 2nd half, I highly doubt he would have done much better to nullify McKay/Curnow with how easily they were getting it inside 50. I think the idea of him as a 3rd tall/defensive forward has some merit, and there's still plenty of time for it to play out. Payne will definitely want to improve with Doedee coming back soon because another couple of games like that, and he'll be the one on the chopping block, but there's no need for ridiculous over the top criticism yet.

View attachment 1924639

Taking the piss, surely.

I’ll go Daniher for launching from 50 out when had 2 players open. Or Oscar for putting it down the throat of Carlton mids when up against Cripps.
Payne has this locked up.

View attachment 1924639

Taking the piss, surely.

At least Daniher almost kicked a goal.

I'm going for Oscar looking back and seeing Kiddy waiting for the ball to go straight to him and impulsively sticking his mitt out and then having to mop up his damage and inevitably getting pinged for htb. And watching the ball sail over his head for a split the centre goal.

That's in the all time great clangers file for mine.

It’s not “hate” in the literal sense.

What form are you talking about? We're 1 full season game and 2 pre-season games into the year, there is no 'Form' to go off at this stage of the season. I'm not going to disagree that Payne had a rough game, but acting like it's some grand failing on behalf of Fagan ignoring some non-existent factor just reeks of bias.

Diz played a decent game forward, and considering how piss weak we were in the 2nd half, I highly doubt he would have done much better to nullify McKay/Curnow with how easily they were getting it inside 50. I think the idea of him as a 3rd tall/defensive forward has some merit, and there's still plenty of time for it to play out. Payne will definitely want to improve with Doedee coming back soon because another couple of games like that, and he'll be the one on the chopping block, but there's no need for ridiculous over the top criticism yet.

Don’t pay much attention to him. Anything short of a team resembling the Harlem globetrotters toying with their opposition is an abject failure and should result in everyone bar Ryan Lester having their contracts torn up on the spot.

Also, Starcevich will one day make a good VFL player.
I’m amazed at how little scrutiny is given to Starcevich. At times against Carlton he was standing on his own, guarding space it would seem.
IMHO it’s probably time to look at alternatives.
As for the pre-season suggestion of a move to the midfield, that’s just fanciful.

Back