Game Day Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Hipwood will kick 6 goals

As Freddy Mercury would have said...
View attachment 1919547

From the Grand Final team, I'm bringing Payne back obviously and he replaces Gardiner.

But Gardiner moves to the forward line and replaces Dev Rob.

McKenna doesn't play and is replaced by Zorko who switches to half back.

His midfield role is taken by Cam Rayner.

Kai Lohmann comes in to take Rayner's forward role. Or change on the wing with Ah Chee or whoever.

The rest of the team is as selected on Grand Final day. Lyons arguably unlucky as he deserves to be playing on preseason form. Maybe Lyons plays instead of Lohmann if we value inside grunt more than outside spread, which against Carlton's engine room we may.

But we prefer to play 3 tall forwards, I want to see it work, let's see how Dizzy goes.

Very surprised Lyon named, thought we had moved past him, otherwise the expected side named.
View attachment 1921798

Great session with the match committee yesterday arvo. Plenty of robust discussion and in the end they all agreed I'd nailed it.

We decided to play a bit of ducks and drakes by naming Dizzy in the back line. We might even start that way and then switch he and Zorks pretty quickly - ideally around the first throw in between the arcs.

I'm gonna keep our choice of sub under wraps for now. All I'll say is conditions might come into it a bit... We'll be keeping an eye on the humidity during the afternoon... If it starts getting up we can expect a slippery night like at the SCG and that might affect our call.

Game Dayeeee.
I'm a bit out of sorts with the time though , what 6:40.
Do we get a feed early before we get to the Ground or is it Chicos and chips.
Go The LIONSsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Hippy to kick six pfft , Darcy to kick six.
Gardner that is.
Hippy to kick six for the Pies rematch though ( Grand final that is) he he.

YAY! It's game day.
dance.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the evidence and analysis suggests I should be confident but I'm still carrying some mild trauma from that round 1 loss to Sydney a couple of years ago.

Round 1 at the Gabba is probably the best time to get us (apart from finals in 2020-2022).

Our Round 1 results under Chris Fagan. >

2017- v Suns @ Metricon, Won 98-96.
2018- v Saints @ Marvel, Lost 107-82.
2019- v Eagles @ Gabba, Won 102-58.
2020- v Hawks @ MCG, Lost 62-90.
2021- v Swans @ Gabba, Lost 94-125.
2022- v Port @ Gabba, Won 80-69.
2023- v Port @ Ad-Oval, Lost 72-126.

Only lost one at the Gabba, we're certainties tonight.

Not feeling super confident to be honest. The vanquished in prelims often go pretty well. Blues were just about the best side in it in the second half of the home and away season even with quite a few players out. Vossy seems to have instilled in them a mindset in which they won't be focused on who they are missing.

You would hope at the minimum we start with a lot of ferocity - LIMPED out v blues last time. LIMPED out v Port in round 1 last year.

Conditions should really suit us. We have trained the high humidity with a bit of rain most of the summer. The dees seemed to really struggle handling the ball last night whereas the swans seemed used to it.

Perhaps i am scarred by such good past pre seasons and then a big dip in round 1. Will going straight in to it help rather than the 1 week off? We have been terrible off the bye so maybe that will be the tonic for us!

Our home ground is our biggest strength but it was such a powerhouse last year that any dip at all will make it harder for us - 9-2 would be a great record in any given year, but if we manage that this year we have to win another 2 games on the road to maintain our win loss record, which is what we will likely need to finish top 2. We found out i think how good top 2 was last year - imagine if week 1 of the finals was at AO instead of the gabba.

Match-ups that matter for us (defensively)

Cripps - Dunkley
Curnow - Payne (given he got him at Docklands last year)
McKay - Harris - needs to be on as McKay is deceptively quick
Fantasia - Starcevich

Match-ups that matter for them
Daniher - Young - has been a good defender for them 1-1
Hipwood - Kemp - hippy has 12cm on him. we know he doesn't play super tall but might mean a panic free kick or 2
Cameron - Saad. i suspect they will unleash williams for more run and play Saad on Cameron given his importance. Fast and agile
Coleman - not sure who he gets, but i suspect they put serious work in to him considering he was BOG in the PF against them

The simple KPIs to win the game should be:

At least breaking even in midfield, in particular in clearances
Getting enough drive off half back with a lot of attention on Coleman and no McKenna
Playing the conditions right, in particular with forward entries
Starting well and making the gabba seem like a fortress again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back