Training Pre-Season 2024 - they're back

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox’s assessment of the clubs after their pre season simulation games

GWS GIANTS

Last year wasn’t a fluke
The Giants may’ve lost to Sydney in the hitout, but last week proved there was a lot to be bullish about for 2024. They look to be going nicely ahead of the season and there doesn’t look to be any drop off at all from the likes of Tom Green and Jesse Hogan, who are improving on already-stellar 2023 campaigns. Aaron Cadman will be 20 when the season gets underway but is already showing signs of a marked uptick this year as he grows into his frame, which spells trouble for opposition clubs. It took the competition by storm at the backend of last season, but the orange tsunami isn’t going anywhere in 2024.

Sorry for the intrusion, and apologies if this thread isn't the most appropriate one for this.

Round 1. Giants stadium. I'm excited.

Have you guys got any inkling when they'll open up ticket sales?

By comparison, tix for North home games are available from today for members, and then to the public from tomorrow.

So surely rnd 1 can't be far off either?

Sorry for the intrusion, and apologies if this thread isn't the most appropriate one for this.

By comparison, tix for North home games are available from today for members, and then to the public from tomorrow.

I was under the impression the public could already buy tickets to this game? :)

I have tried and I can access the tickets and pop them into the cart.

Give the below link a go and see how you go.

I must admit, I thought tickets were already open. We have opening round tickets for the Pies game, and have had for several weeks. If I look in Ticketmaster, tickets for the Norths game do pop up as available.

I was under the impression the public could already buy tickets to this game? :)

I have tried and I can access the tickets and pop them into the cart.

Give the below link a go and see how you go.

Doh! Thanks mate. (I just scanned the NMFC and GWS sites to see whether they'd posted a link to round 1 tix, and hadn't seen anything, when I should've just checked Ticketmaster of course)

Leake and Gothard isn't such bad news, wasn't expecting to see them play early anyway.

Preuss though... it's hard to see him playing another game at this point. We'd better hope Briggs doesn't have any issues.

I saw him at the Taylor Swift concert though. Maybe he can “Shake off” the injury ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It will be interesting to see how (and where!) young Harvey Thomas plays tonight against the Suns. If he replicates what he produced against the Swans, and given no pre-season action for Darcy Jones, I think he would be a sneaky chance to grab the position previously earmarked (IMHO) for Darcy.
Yeah that probably tracks. Not sure how long tonsilitis knocks you around for but give Harvey a run at the first 2 rounds and go from there?

Yeah that probably tracks. Not sure how long tonsilitis knocks you around for but give Harvey a run at the first 2 rounds and go from there?
As soon as Jones is fit and available they can compete for the spot imo it's not like Tonsilitis is going to mean Jones has to come through the VFL or anything he's completed a full preseason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see how (and where!) young Harvey Thomas plays tonight against the Suns. If he replicates what he produced against the Swans, and given no pre-season action for Darcy Jones, I think he would be a sneaky chance to grab the position previously earmarked (IMHO) for Darcy.
He’ll be playing. Very composed.

Pretty happy with how that all went, expect this team to dominate a lot of teams this season just like that.
  • Was impressed with Riccardi's marking, had 2 or 3 really strong grabs in the air in 1v1 situations hope that's something we can continue to see develop this year
  • Cadman is definitely more involved from what we've seen so far whether he's ready to play or not I'm not sure yet, but really flying from marks and creating a contest this year almost took a few hangers last night was disappointing he dropped a couple of easier ones
  • Harvey Thomas continues to impress finds the ball in space well and handles it well in traffic as well, consistently finds more time for himself in between bodies and uses it well, we haven't seen Jones yet but he'd have to be pretty impressive if he's ahead of Thomas
  • Think that's the best I've seen XO look, bit of inside time did him well, it's about the first time he's every played in there after being drafted for it
  • Impressive to do that with most of the big guns resting in the second half and without Finn, Ash and Hogan altogether
  • Thought Bedford's kicking was poor coming back i50, important piece for us up the ground using his speed and pressure but if he's going to do that his delivery needs to be better. Wasn't really an issue last year so until it pops up consistently this year not too worried
  • Briggs looked really good tonight I thought, even against a good ruck in Witts thought he was on top
  • 6 scoring shots from Brown is an awesome result, still something about it I don't quite trust but looked really dynamic. Explosive athlete, marks the ball and a good finisher normally. If he can jump from 25~ goals to 30-35 that's a real weapon to add
  • Even McMullin came on late and looked really good, had a great finish and was really involved both ways.
  • Worried about Ward didn't notice him too much out there, maybe it's just an old guy taking it easy in the preseason but there were signs last year so we might have to prepare to pick a team without him in it. Happy to give him a pass but something we have to monitor.

Last edited:
Pretty happy with how that all went, expect this team to dominate a lot of teams this season just like that.
  • Was impressed with Riccardi's marking, had 2 or 3 really strong grabs in the air in 1v1 situations hope that's something we can continue to see develop this year
  • Cadman is definitely more involved from what we've seen so far whether he's ready to play or not I'm not sure yet, but really flying from marks and creating a contest this year almost took a few hangers last night was disappointing he dropped a couple of easier ones
  • Harvey Thomas continues to impress finds the ball in space well and handles it well in traffic as well, consistently finds more time for himself in between bodies and uses it well, we haven't seen Jones yet but he'd have to be pretty impressive if he's ahead of Thomas
  • Think that's the best I've seen XO look, bit of inside time did him well, it's about the first time he's every played in there after being drafted for it
  • Impressive to do that with most of the big guns resting in the second half and without Finn, Ash and Hogan altogether
  • Thought Bedford's kicking was poor coming back i50, important piece for us up the ground using his speed and pressure but if he's going to do that his delivery needs to be better. Wasn't really an issue last year so until it pops up consistently this year not too worried
  • Briggs looked really good tonight I thought, even against a good ruck in Witts thought he was on top
  • 6 scoring shots from Brown is an awesome result, still something about it I don't quite trust but looked really dynamic. Explosive athlete, marks the ball and a good finisher normally. If he can jump from 25~ goals to 30-35 that's a real weapon to add
  • Even McMullin came on late and looked really good, had a great finish and was really involved both ways.
Riccardi flew a bit under the radar, he was good last night.
There was a marked improvement in both Cadman and Riccardi, makes our forward line significantly better than last year.

much more depth than last year as well.

I'd whack Haynes on a wing as well I think. (over a Wehr or Angwin) and with Cumming adds a fair bit of versatility between them.

Riccardi flew a bit under the radar, he was good last night.
There was a marked improvement in both Cadman and Riccardi, makes our forward line significantly better than last year.

much more depth than last year as well.

I'd whack Haynes on a wing as well I think. (over a Wehr or Angwin) and with Cumming adds a fair bit of versatility between them.
Haynes looked great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back