Training Pre-Season 2024 - they're back

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it's a bit harsh on Angwin. He's an elite runner and already has a strong build. Once he develops his game sense and disposal a bit he'll be a good player. And that's only a matter of experience and practice. For me I reckon it's a case of when, not if, he has a breakout season.

As far as fantasy goes though, he's outside our best 22 and we have a lot of options for players on the wing. Only through injuries is he going to see consistent game time.

What about Briggs?
Only players available to draft are:

Leek Aleer
Ryan Angwin
Toby Bedford
Callum Brown
Jack Buckley
Wade Derksen
Joseph Fonti
Max Gruzewski
Toby McMullin
James Peatling
Sam Taylor
Harvey Thomas
Nathan Wardius and
Jacob Wehr

To be effective, they really need to be a ruck, midfielder or the half back flanker that gets used a lot.

Played 15 games last year and he's 21. I reckon he's not a bust yet.
Was there any of those 15 games where you left thinking wow Angwin really showed plenty today, he's just not impacting games. Everyone loves to talk about how good of a runner he is but that's not good enough, you have to be able to find the ball consistently and be damaging with it. Being a good runner doesn't make you an AFL standard player you have to be able to pair the fitness with skills that impact games. Don't want to keep ragging on the bloke but he hasn't shown anything yet doesn't mean it's never going to happen but just waiting for it to click with him seems unwise at this point. Even Stone who's struggled with heaps of injuries and constant setbacks which isn't really something Angwin has had to deal with has flashed way more and there's games you can point to say if we just get more of that he can be something but we're yet to see anything from Angwin.

Watching the footage is encouraging with regards to developing youth.
Muffin looks to be coming on well. Rowston will get games at some point. Cadmans improving but will still need a couple of preseasons. DJ is exactly what we need.

Leek Aleer
Ryan Angwin
Toby Bedford
Callum Brown
Jack Buckley
Wade Derksen
Joseph Fonti
Max Gruzewski
Toby McMullin
James Peatling
Sam Taylor
Harvey Thomas
Nathan Wardius and
Jacob Wehr

To be effective, they really need to be a ruck, midfielder or the half back flanker that gets used a lot.
Bedford is likely to pinch hit in the middle and on the wing and could be of value.

Leek Aleer
Ryan Angwin
Toby Bedford
Callum Brown
Jack Buckley
Wade Derksen
Joseph Fonti
Max Gruzewski
Toby McMullin
James Peatling
Sam Taylor
Harvey Thomas
Nathan Wardius and
Jacob Wehr

If you NEED a giant from this list I'm probably taking Taylor or Buckley who will play every game and Taylor might take a bunch of marks at some stage.

After that I'm taking
Angwin or Snooze (Bedford) but small forwards are amazing in fantasy. He does lay a lot of tackles if that counts in your league as a stat.

I'd take the risk on Angwin.

Was there any of those 15 games where you left thinking wow Angwin really showed plenty today, he's just not impacting games. Everyone loves to talk about how good of a runner he is but that's not good enough, you have to be able to find the ball consistently and be damaging with it. Being a good runner doesn't make you an AFL standard player you have to be able to pair the fitness with skills that impact games. Don't want to keep ragging on the bloke but he hasn't shown anything yet doesn't mean it's never going to happen but just waiting for it to click with him seems unwise at this point. Even Stone who's struggled with heaps of injuries and constant setbacks which isn't really something Angwin has had to deal with has flashed way more and there's games you can point to say if we just get more of that he can be something but we're yet to see anything from Angwin.
I think you are being incredibly harsh.
He was playing a very important role for us and I thought he was missed in one of the games he missed particularly.
There is far more to footy than getting the footy and being damaging with it.
The two way running is very important, Angwin's defensive run and subsequent involvement was important very regularly. He also regularly ran along way to be involved in chains that may not be eye catching, but crucial for the chain.
He has not shown star quality, but is a lot better than no good and is clearly considered so internally.
I suspect again he will play a very similar role.

Last edited:
I think you are being incredibly harsh.
He was playing a very important role for us and I thought he was missed in the one of the games he missed particularly.
There is far to footy than getting the footy and being damaging with it.
The two way running is very important, Angwin's defensive run and subsequent involvement was important very regularly. He also regularly ran along way to be involved in chains that may not be eye catching, but crucial for the chain.
He has not shown star quality, but is a lot better than no good and is clearly considered so internally.
I suspect again he will play a very similar role.
I’m more confident in him making it than stone. The type of player that fits into the system we now play. Bit like XO although a touch younger. I think we have 1, possibly 2 wing spots up for grabs and he is right there to take one of them. Cumming will get usurped and Callaghan will start to spend more time inside.

Angwin is bringing the pressure and overlap run and Carry through the midfield. He was a young birthday when drafted too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leake and Gothard isn't such bad news, wasn't expecting to see them play early anyway.

Preuss though... it's hard to see him playing another game at this point. We'd better hope Briggs doesn't have any issues.

I think they are being super-conservative with Preuss. Being available by round 6 or so means he's on some sort of program.
I don't recall seeing him in any match-sim videos.
If they stretch it out much longer than round 6, it will be concerning.
If he’s not up and about by round 6-8 you’d think we grab a ruck in the mid-season draft

This concerns me most:

Leake has suffered a quad strain and won't return to full training until after the Giants' season opener against Collingwood on March 9.

The Tasmanian arrived at GWS with a history of soft tissue injuries so the club will take a cautious approach with the 188cm utility.

Which young or fringe players are set to break into your club’s senior side in 2024?

We asked a large portion of the AFL captains to see who they believe will either break in or become established members of their respective teams this year.

Interesting comment from Josh Kelly (presumably deputising for Toby out on paternity leave for the captain's event in Melbourne):

GWS GIANTS

Harvey Thomas,” said Josh Kelly.

Which young or fringe players are set to break into your club’s senior side in 2024?

We asked a large portion of the AFL captains to see who they believe will either break in or become established members of their respective teams this year.

Interesting comment from Josh Kelly (presumably deputising for Toby out on paternity leave for the captain's event in Melbourne):

GWS GIANTS

Harvey Thomas,” said Josh Kelly.
Unexpected, but great to here.

I expected Darcy Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back