Training Pre-Season 2024 - they're back

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the intrusion but how's Leake been on the track this pre-season?

I really want to see him do well - he's an elite footballer but even better bloke.
Hasn't got much press yet

Gives him time to continue to build on what was an incredible 2023. A true story of what happens if you have the right attitude and put the work in.
I'm very keen on him.
Think he looks a terrific prospect.
He'll have time to find himself without being chucked in the deep end.
Us picking them in reverse order to what everyone thought we'd do takes the pressure off him as well

Track watch: Giants’ youngsters fight for vacancy in forward line, young draftees continue to impress

By Lachlan Mckirdy

Content Producer

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

14 February 2024

The Giants’ hopes of going one better in 2024 look to be on track as they continue their preparation for their opening practice match against the Swans next Thursday.

Adam Kingsley has put his side through a big, physical pre-season to make them the fittest team in the competition. But the mountain hikes and early-morning beach wrestling sessions are over, and the rest of February will be focused on taking the Orange Tsunami to the next level.

With one spot in the forward line available following the retirement of Daniel Lloyd, several of the Giants’ youngsters are putting their hands up to be selected for the opening game against Collingwood.

Aaron Cadman’s progression has been clear for all to see in his second AFL pre-season. After making some steady steps during his first year on the Giants’ list, his focus this summer has been on both his fitness and his physicality.

Coaches have been working individually with Cadman on his second efforts and his work on the ground has been a standout. He has also been commanding his position in the goalsquare and has embraced the contest when marked on any of the Giants’ key defenders Sam Taylor, Jack Buckley or Connor Idun.

The alternative to Cadman is likely to be Darcy Jones if the reigning coach of the year wants to go all-in on his forward-pressure tactics.

Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford led the way in 2023 and Jones looks to be right at that level after returning from an ACL injury. His hands around the contest are clean and he looks to be as quick as any of his teammates and willing to tackle anyone who comes in his direction.

Another youngster who has taken their game to the next level is 19-year-old Harry Rowston. The Giants had to match a pick for Rowston in the first round of the 2022 Draft, but the Academy product is likely to have a big impact on their midfield going into the future.

Playing in the middle, he has modelled his game on Callan Ward and his ability to be a contested-ball winner around the stoppages. He averaged more than 20 touches and three tackles a game in the VFL last season.

While Phoenix Gothard was taken as GWS’ first selection in the most recent draft, it’s another unheralded acquisition that could have the more immediate impact up forward.

Nathan Wardius has turned plenty of heads since arriving as a Category B rookie from Rand-Walbundrie-Walla in the Hume League. He came to the club with an incredible goalscoring record but has excelled on the back of his first AFL-level pre-season. He has put on some size and has already benefited from several years playing at senior level.

Joe Fonti has also impressed in a hybrid defensive role with the No. 44 pick looking to become the Giants’ go-to medium-size defender.

After being selected in the 2022 mid-season draft, key forward Wade Derksen looks to be brimming with confidence after a superb VFL season.

He finished the year with 35 goals and has taken that form into pre-season, marking strongly and moving well across the ground. While Cadman is the long-term prospect up forward, 22-year-old Derksen is breathing down his neck.

Callum Brown was one of the most improved players last season and became a key presence up forward in their run to the finals.

But the Irishman looks even more comfortable with the Sherrin in hand and will prove a handful to any defence. His athleticism is among the best in the club and the 23-year-old looks more composed when lining up for set shots.

Track watch: Giants’ youngsters fight for vacancy in forward line, young draftees continue to impress

By Lachlan Mckirdy

Content Producer

14 February 2024

The Giants’ hopes of going one better in 2024 look to be on track as they continue their preparation for their opening practice match against the Swans next Thursday.

Adam Kingsley has put his side through a big, physical pre-season to make them the fittest team in the competition. But the mountain hikes and early-morning beach wrestling sessions are over, and the rest of February will be focused on taking the Orange Tsunami to the next level.

With one spot in the forward line available following the retirement of Daniel Lloyd, several of the Giants’ youngsters are putting their hands up to be selected for the opening game against Collingwood.

Aaron Cadman’s progression has been clear for all to see in his second AFL pre-season. After making some steady steps during his first year on the Giants’ list, his focus this summer has been on both his fitness and his physicality.

Coaches have been working individually with Cadman on his second efforts and his work on the ground has been a standout. He has also been commanding his position in the goalsquare and has embraced the contest when marked on any of the Giants’ key defenders Sam Taylor, Jack Buckley or Connor Idun.

The alternative to Cadman is likely to be Darcy Jones if the reigning coach of the year wants to go all-in on his forward-pressure tactics.

Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford led the way in 2023 and Jones looks to be right at that level after returning from an ACL injury. His hands around the contest are clean and he looks to be as quick as any of his teammates and willing to tackle anyone who comes in his direction.

Another youngster who has taken their game to the next level is 19-year-old Harry Rowston. The Giants had to match a pick for Rowston in the first round of the 2022 Draft, but the Academy product is likely to have a big impact on their midfield going into the future.

Playing in the middle, he has modelled his game on Callan Ward and his ability to be a contested-ball winner around the stoppages. He averaged more than 20 touches and three tackles a game in the VFL last season.

While Phoenix Gothard was taken as GWS’ first selection in the most recent draft, it’s another unheralded acquisition that could have the more immediate impact up forward.

Nathan Wardius has turned plenty of heads since arriving as a Category B rookie from Rand-Walbundrie-Walla in the Hume League. He came to the club with an incredible goalscoring record but has excelled on the back of his first AFL-level pre-season. He has put on some size and has already benefited from several years playing at senior level.

Joe Fonti has also impressed in a hybrid defensive role with the No. 44 pick looking to become the Giants’ go-to medium-size defender.

After being selected in the 2022 mid-season draft, key forward Wade Derksen looks to be brimming with confidence after a superb VFL season.

He finished the year with 35 goals and has taken that form into pre-season, marking strongly and moving well across the ground. While Cadman is the long-term prospect up forward, 22-year-old Derksen is breathing down his neck.

Callum Brown was one of the most improved players last season and became a key presence up forward in their run to the finals.

But the Irishman looks even more comfortable with the Sherrin in hand and will prove a handful to any defence. His athleticism is among the best in the club and the 23-year-old looks more composed when lining up for set shots.
Whether he's actually able to make an impact or not we'll see but Rowston being playable would be very handy to help off-set Ward declining, so good to hear he's looking better.

Whether he's actually able to make an impact or not we'll see but Rowston being playable would be very handy to help off-set Ward declining, so good to hear he's looking better.
I thought he looked exceptionally promising last year.
Ive got very high hopes for Rowsten

I thought he looked exceptionally promising last year.
Ive got very high hopes for Rowsten
In his appearances as a sub he was able to come on and make a pretty good impact but when he was asked to play a full game he was invisible out there. Encouraging that we've seen stretches of strong play from him even if they were only a quarter at a time.

In his appearances as a sub he was able to come on and make a pretty good impact but when he was asked to play a full game he was invisible out there. Encouraging that we've seen stretches of strong play from him even if they were only a quarter at a time.
He is going to be at his best on the ball. I think he was getting used to the structures last year.

He is going to be at his best on the ball. I think he was getting used to the structures last year.
Yeah absolutely he's a first-year player so being not ready to play is fine because most of them are like that and he wasn't ready yet, he got his opportunity on ball as well it's not like he was shafted up forward in a foreign position. Still think he can definitely be a part of the future on ball rotation but wasn't there last year, think he could break into the back end of it this year.

Yeah absolutely he's a first-year player so being not ready to play is fine because most of them are like that and he wasn't ready yet, he got his opportunity on ball as well it's not like he was shafted up forward in a foreign position. Still think he can definitely be a part of the future on ball rotation but wasn't there last year, think he could break into the back end of it this year.
Didn’t he have something like 13 clearances in a quarter??

Didn’t he have something like 13 clearances in a quarter??
Yeah he had a bunch of really good games in the VFL, against the pies had 13 in the 4th quarter would've had 20+ for the game. Whether that ever translates to high level AFL play we'll see but that's at least promising to be able to do that in your first year. Truly video game numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said before that the B&W photos can look awesome.

What a great photo of X there. I like the wrestling Jones & Wehr (I think) photo too.

It would have been a tough day out on the sand.

I really hope X can keep his body right this year and get some consistency out there. Love watching him play when he is fit

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s late Feb which means……. iiiiiiimmmmm baaaacccccck 🤣

How are we all ? Hope we had a great Christmas etc.

Now I have some catching up to do

I was just starting to wonder where you were, and if you were coming back for season 2024 ...

Good to see you again!

I was just starting to wonder where you were, and if you were coming back for season 2024 ...

Good to see you again!

Great to hear from you mate !

I’ll always be here. Been doing it since 2012 foundation, why stop now haha.

I get so obsessed with the footy during the season, I need to give myself a mental break. lol. Mid Feb I start thinking “hmmm I wonder what is being discussed in there”

I have a great feeling about 2024. I just LOVE Kingers. I have no doubt he will be the first Premiership coach. And who knows what could have been without the slow start last year with new coach and game plan. Start the way they finished and boy oh boy it could be an exciting season

By Lachlan Mckirdy

Content Producer

14 February 2024

Geez if Rowston ,Jones and Derkson can take the next step and if Brown continues his massive improvement in 24 we are stacked...Here's hoping....Is intraclub on today?

Geez if Rowston ,Jones and Derkson can take the next step and if Brown continues his massive improvement in 24 we are stacked...Here's hoping....Is intraclub on today?
Derksen was playing as a defender by the looks of things in the last intraclub.

So Lloyds spot is up for grabs by Jones/Stone/Gothard/Wardius

Cadman can only really be taking Keefe or Browns spot right....and probably not Browns.

Derksen was playing as a defender by the looks of things in the last intraclub.

So Lloyds spot is up for grabs by Jones/Stone/Gothard/Wardius

Cadman can only really be taking Keefe or Browns spot right....and probably not Browns.
I like XO for Lloyd role.

Bedford may end up with decent time on the wing.

I expected Green to sneak forward and kick more goals last year. Will make up for it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back