Training Pre-Season 2024 - they're back

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the highlights from this story:

Dynamic forward Callum Brown is coming off the best season of his career but if Friday’s match simulation is anything to go by then the speedy Irishman looks set to take his game to another level in 2024. Showing an innate ability to find space and be in the right spot at the right time, the powerful 188cm forward caused headaches for opposing defenders across all four quarters as he created numerous scoring opportunities for himself and teammates.

Finn Callaghan was another who looks ready to explode in 2024 with the smooth-moving midfielder showcasing his big summer with several eye-catching clearances as he burst from stoppage and covered the ground well to complement his silky skills by foot. Winner of the GIANTS’ 2023 Rising Star Award, Callaghan looks primed to continue his climb towards being a key cog in the GIANTS side this season, with the 20-year-old set to combine time on the wing with more time as a line-breaking inside midfielder.

Attacking defender Lachie Ash also caught the eye of those in attendance, as well as that of teammate Tom Green who at one point had to plead with teammates to find out who was opposed to Ash due to his high volume of possessions.

Another standout from Friday’s match sim was the play of untried 22-year-old Wade Derksen, who after a strong 2023 VFL season put his name in contention for a senior call up with an impressive outing. The GIANTS’ leading VFL goalkicker last season with 35 majors from 18 games, Derksen was stationed down back in Friday’s session where his powerful 194cm frame was on full display as took several intercept marks as the third tall defender - including a monster pack mark on the shoulders of teammates in the third quarter. Derksen has spent this pre-season training with the defenders.

A pair of young GIANTS looking to break into the senior line-up also did their chances no harm on Friday, with running machine Jacob Wehr finding plenty of the footy on the wing while athletic draftee Joe Fonti showcased his bag of tricks with a pair of strong marks and some dash and dare off half-back to impress onlookers.
Think the most interesting thing to come out of that is Derksen being used down back. Think it would be a mistake to move him there long term because I just don't think we have the options up forward otherwise to have him as a defender, if he's down back then our only options up forward are Keefe who was a complete 0 last year or Cadman who did not look like an AFL player last year or Gruz who hasn't played a game. At least Derksen gives us another option in the fairly likely scenario that the other 3 aren't ready to play, there's a good chance he's not ready either but at least it's something else to trial and he has plenty of experience in the ruck as well which is handy to give Briggs a chop out.

I was keen to highlight that snippet, because it is interesting in terms of the squad balance.

I was quite the advocate last year for giving Derksen an opportunity in the middle of the season, rather than stick with Keeffe. I know that a lot of posters were saying "Keeffe must be giving AK what he wants", and clearly that was true because he persisted in selecting him. But, we lost in a PF where more scoring power would likely have made the difference, and no-one can argue that Keeffe has added any scoring capacity to our team. This indicates that we've doubled-down on our forward plans, and Derksen isn't really in the picture.

On the other hand, I was also of the view that we're light on for defensive reserves if we suffer any injuries to Taylor and Buckley. I advocated selecting a KPD draftee, but we didn't, so perhaps playing Derksen down back in pre-season is training him up to cover for any injuries. Yes, we have Haynes and Aleer, but neither are those big-bodied who can defend 1-on-1 - both are more third-tall or interceptor types. I'm not saying Derksen would be a great replacement - he's still pretty raw - but his resume did say that he could cover KPD as well as play KPF and he seems more solid in his core body than either of the other options.

I guess the biggest reveal will be where he plays in the VFL team when it commences: forward or defence? We've seen others been moved from one to the other within a season (Buckley & HH the most obvious in my memory).

Think the most interesting thing to come out of that is Derksen being used down back. Think it would be a mistake to move him there long term because I just don't think we have the options up forward otherwise to have him as a defender, if he's down back then our only options up forward are Keefe who was a complete 0 last year or Cadman who did not look like an AFL player last year or Gruz who hasn't played a game. At least Derksen gives us another option in the fairly likely scenario that the other 3 aren't ready to play, there's a good chance he's not ready either but at least it's something else to trial and he has plenty of experience in the ruck as well which is handy to give Briggs a chop out.
Hopefully we get to see Derksen this year.
I don't mind him training as a defender, maybe we are banking on Himmelberg coming next year

I was keen to highlight that snippet, because it is interesting in terms of the squad balance.

I was quite the advocate last year for giving Derksen an opportunity in the middle of the season, rather than stick with Keeffe. I know that a lot of posters were saying "Keeffe must be giving AK what he wants", and clearly that was true because he persisted in selecting him. But, we lost in a PF where more scoring power would likely have made the difference, and no-one can argue that Keeffe has added any scoring capacity to our team. This indicates that we've doubled-down on our forward plans, and Derksen isn't really in the picture.

On the other hand, I was also of the view that we're light on for defensive reserves if we suffer any injuries to Taylor and Buckley. I advocated selecting a KPD draftee, but we didn't, so perhaps playing Derksen down back in pre-season is training him up to cover for any injuries. Yes, we have Haynes and Aleer, but neither are those big-bodied who can defend 1-on-1 - both are more third-tall or interceptor types. I'm not saying Derksen would be a great replacement - he's still pretty raw - but his resume did say that he could cover KPD as well as play KPF and he seems more solid in his core body than either of the other options.

I guess the biggest reveal will be where he plays in the VFL team when it commences: forward or defence? We've seen others been moved from one to the other within a season (Buckley & HH the most obvious in my memory).
I'm pretty high on Gruz and Cadman as forward cover. As far as backline cover Aleer is already looking bigger and we saw what Buckley could do as a no1 forward last year. I think Aleer or Haynes could come in an take a second forward. It's never gonna be ideal when losing a top end player though.
I'm surprised Leek hasn't been looked at as a shot at the Keefe role. If he can ruck with his height and compete in the air and bring the ball to ground. I honestly think the Keefe thing is experience playing in multiple places a cover as well.
I'm fascinated to see what our round 1 team will be...Rowston looks like he's hitting hard and could be pushing Ward out.
Lots of talk about Jones but who's spot does he take?
There's gonna be that wing spot up for grabs too.

It’s an interesting position …. A basically stable team with 2+ years of recruits in the wings

I’m sure Darcy, stone, leek et all will all get a run at some point this year … we don’t want to be burning out the team like port did last season

I'm pretty high on Gruz and Cadman as forward cover. As far as backline cover Aleer is already looking bigger and we saw what Buckley could do as a no1 forward last year. I think Aleer or Haynes could come in an take a second forward. It's never gonna be ideal when losing a top end player though.
I'm surprised Leek hasn't been looked at as a shot at the Keefe role. If he can ruck with his height and compete in the air and bring the ball to ground. I honestly think the Keefe thing is experience playing in multiple places a cover as well.
I'm fascinated to see what our round 1 team will be...Rowston looks like he's hitting hard and could be pushing Ward out.
Lots of talk about Jones but who's spot does he take?
There's gonna be that wing spot up for grabs too.
I think there is a spot on the half forward line with a midfield rotation. Maybe X is under pressure

I’m really glad they are looking at his as a mid rather than a small forward. He has the potential to give us a very different look in there and could be important late in quarters as players will struggle to contain that speed and agility.

If we play cadman we are playing three key forwards with gruz not able to get a shot

I think it depends on the makeup

Two key forwards and a resting ruck? Three keys? One of them to chop out?

I think our advantage going forward is going to be speed and pressure in the forward half… maybe derk is too slow up there?

I reckon we will see a lot of more of Daniels in the midfield this year and Toby staying as a forward. Maybe that opens up a spot for another pressure forward like Jones/Stone

Seems like Jones is going to get a fair crack in the midfield as well, would be pretty surprised if he's used as a stay up home forward.
Interesting. I don't see Jones being used in the mid just yet. He's bloody tiny still. I know he's never gonna be big but my guess is he will start as a forward to links to the wing.

Possibly, but I think that you still need to have some strong-bodied KPFs, irrespective of their speed. And what "speed rating" would Keeffe be given?
Yeah you absolutely still need 2-3 key forwards otherwise you become completely ineffective in the air and have no ability to create a contest, whoever has the slowest speed in the comp Keefee would be 1 less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding is that’s were he played most of his junior footy and he rotated forward rather than the other way?
Yeah he was inside/outside back in WA and then floated forward, think he was viewed as a forward at the AFL level because of concerns over his size but it seems Kingsley might be willing to back him in as a midfielder at first either inside or out and then maybe move him forward if that doesn't work out.

Yeah he was inside/outside back in WA and then floated forward, think he was viewed as a forward at the AFL level because of concerns over his size but it seems Kingsley might be willing to back him in as a midfielder at first either inside or out and then maybe move him forward if that doesn't work out.
I like that

Play them in their best position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back