Predict how good will Tomic be...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to admit Tomic's response is downright laughable. Yes, TA would openly admit that they have banned you from a tie (which tarnishes your reputationa nd tehrefore the rleationship between the two parties) even though you weren't meant to paly in the tie. And to go on and say, i'm looking forward to becoming the best player in the world. Wow. I'm begining to think Tennis Australia and Tomic are the New York Jets of the tennis world.

Anyone watch the Newks?

Every time they talked about Matosevic, they kept criticizing him and saying how horrible his attitude was, and that Pat gave him tough love. Then they talked about the disagreements he had with Tennis Australia. All he could do is just sit there and give a little laugh. How embarrassing.

It was meant to be a tribute night for *s sake. Tennis Australia is a joke.

Same thing is happening with Bernard. Criticize and punish him publicly at every opportunity they get.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ng-bernard-tomic/story-fnbe6xeb-1226531605516

Interesting take on this mess from Paul McNamee. Bernie might be a stooge, but I have to agree that TA are just as stupid. I guess a lot of its mostly media driven, so when people are questioned, they are going to give a response, but TA should be doing all this behind closed doors. I didn't like how Stosur chimed in the other day either, even if she was relatively "nice" about it. Honestly, I'm interested to see the reception Bernie will get come this summer....

I'm less bothered by TA and Tomic's relationship than I am by Tomic's attitude to his own career.

Looks like he is going to be one of those kids who has the potential and thinks he is going to be the best right up until the day he wakes up and he's not. Then he'll wish he'd done a whole lot of stuff differently.

Unless Tomic gets an easy draw as an unseeded player, I doubt he will be around long enough to be featured as much as he was this year.

I'm interested to see where he is ranked after January. I think a worst case scenario is that he can fall to the 90s.

Tomic speaking about his goals for next year.

Tomic is determined to turn things around in 2013 though, starting at the Hopman Cup in Perth as he represents his country alongside Ashleigh Barty.
"I'd like to reach the top 10 by the end of the year," Tomic told reporters in Perth on Friday.
"I'm sure if I do the right things and commit, like I've agreed to myself, I'll do quite well.
"This year was a big learning year for me. It wasn't the underdog feeling I had in 2011 when I did well at Wimbledon (Tomic reached the quarter-finals).
"It was a different feeling this year. I got used to the pressure and I didn't quite handle it well. I feel I've learned a lot this year and it's going to help me a lot for the start of 2013."
Tomic says a rigorous fitness program over the last couple of months has him primed and confident ahead of the 2013 season.
"(I am) very satisfied with my tennis lately," he said.
"Hopefully I can play well here (in Perth). It's a great tournament and I'm sure it will get the best out of me this week.
"My body is now at a strong level. I think I've worked a lot on my fitness (during) the last few months. That has helped me.
"I've practised a lot on my mind and my patience in the last eight weeks. I think I'm hitting the ball better than ever.
"I feel like 2013 is going to be a good year for me. I expect a lot from myself and I'm sure I can do it."
Tomic also said that for the moment he was focusing on his own game rather than Davis Cup duties for Australia.
He predicted missing up to two ties for his country in 2013, insisting that he needed to get his 'ranking back to where it should be' before thinking of the tournament.

http://www.sportal.com.au/tennis-news-display/tomic-aiming-for-top-10-215461

He needs to switch his focus from rankings to actually winning tournaments, even if it is sucking up weak 250s.

Although looking at the rankings how the hell is Gasquet in the top 10, maybe Bernie is basing his goals on that!

Man, Gasquest made the round of 16 at every gs, with possibly the softest full year GS draw ever.

Aus Open (defeated Seppi, Golubev, Tipsy)
French (defeated Zopp, Dimitrov, Haas)
Wimbledon (defeated Kamke, Bemelmans, Almagro)
US Open (defeated Montanes, Klahn, Johnson)

The decent players he did draw were all on their least favourite surface. Tipsy his best win but he had problems in aus IIRC, was in trouble against Duckworth I reckon.

Good run in Toronto granted, but not a lot else for someone that's finished top 10.

Wow he beat Haas in a tournament that doesn't count and clearly Haas didn't want to win. Haas didn't choke as the press wrote he just tanked. If tomic was fair dinkum he would have played Brisbane and defended points he got there last year. He would've had his arse handed to him on a plate in first round. Tomic will continue to move closer to top 200 rather than his top 10 prediction

It might be an exho but it's all about prepartaion for AO, it still gives you good solid match practice with 3 guarnteed matches and also the money is much better. You really can't judge either way with an exho like Hopman Cup, we'll see how he does in Sydney and Melbourne.

Wow he beat Haas in a tournament that doesn't count and clearly Haas didn't want to win. Haas didn't choke as the press wrote he just tanked. If tomic was fair dinkum he would have played Brisbane and defended points he got there last year. He would've had his arse handed to him on a plate in first round. Tomic will continue to move closer to top 200 rather than his top 10 prediction

To say Tomic is not "fair dinkum" for playing in the hopman cup is one of the stupider things I have read today, does that fair dinkumness also apply to djokovic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is a bit ridiculous the amount of press Tomic gets for an exhibition win. As said above, let's see how he does in real tournaments. His ranking is set to drop a further 11 spots or so come Sunday from not playing Brisbane.

Also, I'm not convinced that he is a changed person regarding off court controversies and drama. Not really buying his statements of being more mature and focused on tennis.

Just beat Novak Djokovic.

This should be interesting given the whole thread is about laying into the bloke :)

It doesn't really change anything. He beat Djokovic at Kooyong a couple of years ago so it's not like nobody knew he was capable of it.

The potential and ability has always been there. It's just a question of whether he has the application/discipline/work ethic to convert it into a consistent top ranking and big titles.

At this stage I still think he's probably going to end up like Philippoussis - a solid career with some great results, but basically underachieving.

It doesn't really change anything. He beat Djokovic at Kooyong a couple of years ago so it's not like nobody knew he was capable of it.

The potential and ability has always been there. It's just a question of whether he has the application/discipline/work ethic to convert it into a consistent top ranking and big titles.

At this stage I still think he's probably going to end up like Philippoussis - a solid career with some great results, but basically underachieving.

He will do better than the poo in the long run. He is coming to grips with the racist approach certain sections of tennis echelon in Australia have.

If you ain't a smith, jones or Davis then you are starting well behind the eight ball in Aussie tennis.

He will do better than the poo in the long run. He is coming to grips with the racist approach certain sections of tennis echelon in Australia have.

If you ain't a smith, jones or Davis then you are starting well behind the eight ball in Aussie tennis.

Lol are you serious? Go and look at the entry list of the recent age national championships, where you'll see an abundance of "foreign" surnames. Tomic has behaved poorly, and if you're referring to known flogs such as Lindahl, Klein, or even Dokic's predicament then you're being a bit ignorant. TA definitely play favourites, but I highly doubt its "racial". Has it ever occured to you that the likes of Molik, Stosur and Dellacqua aren't anglo names? Pretty sure TA has supported them in the past...

Lol are you serious? Go and look at the entry list of the recent age national championships, where you'll see an abundance of "foreign" surnames. Tomic has behaved poorly, and if you're referring to known flogs such as Lindahl, Klein, or even Dokic's predicament then you're being a bit ignorant. TA definitely play favourites, but I highly doubt its "racial". Has it ever occured to you that the likes of Molik, Stosur and Dellacqua aren't anglo names? Pretty sure TA has supported them in the past...
I should have mentiond tennis media elchelon. Molik and stosur are straight out of the aussie blonde production line. The fact is if you don't look like a 1960's or 1970's aussie tennis player then you get all the crap media.

I should have mentiond tennis media elchelon. Molik and stosur are straight out of the aussie blonde production line. The fact is if you don't look like a 1960's or 1970's aussie tennis player then you get all the crap media.

Still not sure what you're getting at, are you referring to the aussie blue-eyed blonde hair stereotype or something (not sure this even still exists...)? I don't see how hair colour is relevant, people from any background can have blonde hair..... How about Klein? He's blonde, fits your Aussie blonde production line thing, has still copped it.

if he puts 3 good matches together at kooyong. he might go all right at the aus open. but not getting overly excited

with that win against novak. he'll be playing the first night of the aus open.
Great, got my tickets for first night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back