C Section Premier C 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the VAFA (where the grand finalists both get promoted) there's the first target for each club, which is making finals, then making the grand final (which means promotion), then winning a flag.

Clubs want to get promoted year on year if they can, and if they win flags in the process, then that's great.

I'm sure any club would prefer to be a runner up in 2017, and stay up in the higher grade 2018 as opposed to winning a flag in 2017, the getting relegated in back down in 2018.

Hence I'd value the promotion at 80% of the season aim, and the flag that extra 20% on top.

Agreed. I'd also add that at many clubs the ultimate premiership is the one in A Grade and in order to win that one you have to be there. Caulfield is still some way from another A Grade flag, but are closer now with that win on the weekend.

Having been down at Glenhuntly for some time now, I can say that the 1970 A Grade Premiership is held as the club's ultimate success, closely followed by the 2011 B Grade flag. But every club is different.

Promotion is good for the club
Premiership is great for the players.

Max "working towards back to back to back" Leader
This.

Premierships last on honour boards for the rest of the club's history. The reunions twenty years down the track. The amplified moments you relive with disinterested relatives. They're priceless. The memory lives with you for the rest of your life... or until your memory fades.

Promotion is great and all, but the emptiness that follows a grand final loss is mere consolation in the weeks and months following. They're not easy to win so when you get the opportunity to win one, it's all or nothing. As you build to the grand final the thought process is, '* Premier B, * preseason to compete in a higher grade. Win the flag.' And no matter what grade they come from, they are so incredibly validating and satisfying for the players, officials and volunteers involved. I'm toey just thinking about it.

I know this might sound like emotional tripe, but it's true. They're ******* special. What else would you play for?

Interesting debate. I would have thought promotion would certainly not be the first goal with the premiership being the addition....there's no worse part of footy than losing a Grand Final and no better part of footy than winning the Grand Final. I know I would certainly see it as promotion being a small, small consolation prize if you were to lose the Grand Final.

Speaking of Grand Finals - Caulfield have been the best team all year and seemingly have turned around their finals hoodoo, expect them to win by 3-4 goals over a gallant OH

I see that "old mate" Mitch Hoog hasn't put in a report from saturdays Prelim Final

All the Other match reports are in since Sunday.

I guess there all volunteers giving there time up so we shouldn't be critical.

Still can't believe the TOTY though.

I see that "old mate" Mitch Hoog hasn't put in a report from saturdays Prelim Final

All the Other match reports are in since Sunday.

I guess there all volunteers giving there time up so we shouldn't be critical.

Still can't believe the TOTY though.
He might be slashing his wrists like a few others at Ferndale park

Promotion is good for the club
Premiership is great for the players.

Max "working towards back to back to back" Leader

Agree with Maxy on this. The wise Keith Frearson said exactly the same thing.

From a Monash perspective we have been no good at winning flags. We haven't won a flag in a section higher than D for 30 years. And yet the club is in very good shape and will challenge strongly in B in 2018. As a supporter I want to see the club return to A grade as a priority. It would be best to do that as 2018 B premiers of course!!

Agree with Maxy on this. The wise Keith Frearson said exactly the same thing.

From a Monash perspective we have been no good at winning flags. We haven't won a flag in a section higher than D for 30 years. And yet the club is in very good shape and will challenge strongly in B in 2018. As a supporter I want to see the club return to A grade as a priority. It would be best to do that as 2018 B premiers of course!![/QUOTE
Well said Les

Interesting debate.

Premierships are what everyone plays for, but promotion in and of itself has numerous benefits to the club and playing group.

From my club's perspective, the view is always week to week (win the game in front of you), and you tick the milestones off as you go. The first of these is always to win enough games to avoid being relegated. I kid you not, even in 2012 (coming off two A Grade GF's in a row, and reigning premiers), we still gave a little sigh of relief when we knew that relegation was not mathematically possible anymore.

Interesting debate.

Premierships are what everyone plays for, but promotion in and of itself has numerous benefits to the club and playing group.

From my club's perspective, the view is always week to week (win the game in front of you), and you tick the milestones off as you go. The first of these is always to win enough games to avoid being relegated. I kid you not, even in 2012 (coming off two A Grade GF's in a row, and reigning premiers), we still gave a little sigh of relief when we knew that relegation was not mathematically possible anymore.

It is certainly interesting. I'm honestly surprised with the opinions of most on here. I definitely take the point about promotion and agree that any club (not just in the VAFA, either) would love to be able to climb the grades and play in the top flight but for a lot of people to say that the first goal of a club in the VAFA is promotion, and then, winning a flag is certainly strange to me. Perhaps it's an old-school VAFA thing, where the pinnacle for any club is playing and winning in A grade? I was involved in the DVFL/NFL for a long time (and only in recent history involved at Kew in the VAFA) and over there it's simple - Premiership and promotion, or nothing.

I'm sure St.Marys Salesian are proud that the club has been able to climb up to Premier C - but if you asked them would they could chose promotion or a premiership I would be shocked if anyone chose the former.

It is certainly interesting. I'm honestly surprised with the opinions of most on here. I definitely take the point about promotion and agree that any club (not just in the VAFA, either) would love to be able to climb the grades and play in the top flight but for a lot of people to say that the first goal of a club in the VAFA is promotion, and then, winning a flag is certainly strange to me. Perhaps it's an old-school VAFA thing, where the pinnacle for any club is playing and winning in A grade? I was involved in the DVFL/NFL for a long time (and only in recent history involved at Kew in the VAFA) and over there it's simple - Premiership and promotion, or nothing.

I'm sure St.Marys Salesian are proud that the club has been able to climb up to Premier C - but if you asked them would they could chose promotion or a premiership I would be shocked if anyone chose the former.

It's not that clubs choose promotion over a flag, and obviously the second entails the first. It's just that promotion is the more significant goal for the club. Will they be disappointed they didn't win the flag? Yep. Would they be happier finishing 3rd? Nope.

What has the greater gap in satisfaction? Finishing third and not getting promoted, or finishing 2nd and not winning the flag?

Missing out on promotion is a far greater blow to suffer than missing out on a flag.

It's not that clubs choose promotion over a flag, and obviously the second entails the first. It's just that promotion is the more significant goal for the club. Will they be disappointed they didn't win the flag? Yep. Would they be happier finishing 3rd? Nope.

What has the greater gap in satisfaction? Finishing third and not getting promoted, or finishing 2nd and not winning the flag?

Missing out on promotion is a far greater blow to suffer than missing out on a flag.
Agree

Or if you're in the WRFL and win the flag you can always decide to stay down and continue "success"... or in Parkside's case win the D2 flag then whinge so much they got put down to D3 instead of up to D1. VAFA is *so* much better. Two up, two down, and if you're promoted above your natural level you spend the season improving where you can and then take the experience back down a grade the next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or if you're in the WRFL and win the flag you can always decide to stay down and continue "success"... or in Parkside's case win the D2 flag then whinge so much they got put down to D3 instead of up to D1. VAFA is *so* much better. Two up, two down, and if you're promoted above your natural level you spend the season improving where you can and then take the experience back down a grade the next year.

Explains a lot about the WRFL culture

Good luck on the weekend !

I see Mr Mitch op't Hoog took my advice and must have seen the game after his comprehensive and largely accurate rundown of the weekends game. By the way what is the "op't" bit anyway .

The scary thought is the kiss of death as he has selected Caulfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back