Personal Experience Premonitions in dreams

Remove this Banner Ad

dalt

Rookie
Jun 2, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I often have this strange dream where my teeth break off causing lots of distress. Whenever this occurs, often something bad in my life would happen shortly thereafter. Perhaps it's a case of 'remember all your hits forget all your misses', but recently the dream occurred again. This time in the dream, one of my front tooth became loose. It was tied to a string and the string was tied to my pet dog who kept pulling on it. This dream was different compared to the others in that there was reference to something loosening my teeth - my pet dog. In the other dreams, I only felt my mouth going numb and my teeth breaking off on their own.

The morning after I had the dream, the first thing that came to mind was 'not again', and I made every effort to reassure myself that nothing bad would happen, and it's just a silly dream. After all who would want to know that something bad is about to happen but not know exactly what it is. A few days later, I had a minor injury, which I'd rather not describe, that became exacerbated while I was walking one of my dogs (the same one in the dream). He saw something and yanked the walking rope with probably all his strength causing me to lose balance and my injury to worsen.

I would rather believe that this is all just coincidence, but it's never a good feeling having these dreams, unless they only foretold good things.

After researching on the topic a little more, I came across the case of David Booth, an office manager who in 1979 had a well documented premonition that came true regarding the crash of American Airlines flight 191. He has a series of recurring dreams about the crash that caused him to call the Federal Aviation Administration. In his recorded call, he described in detail how a silver coloured American airlines plane with an engine on the tail, flips upside down (which is rare during crashes) shortly after take-off, narrowly missing a small building and crashing into an open field killing all passengers on board. A few weeks later, the crash occurred in exactly the manner he described, which is pretty perplexing...

Interesting. I have two or three vaguely recurring dreams and I've been trying to dig out what they are. Only when I have them, or just after I wake up, do I remember how it's a continuation of something I've had before. I seriously cannot remember any of them. I might have to start recording my dreams and seeing if they correlate with events in life; I don't believe dreams are important at all, just whirlwinds and swirling circles of memories and ideas, but it'll be interesting.

nicky

People with anxiety disorders can be prone to these.

That's interesting, I did have a stressful/busy couple of days prior to the dream

Interesting. I have two or three vaguely recurring dreams and I've been trying to dig out what they are. Only when I have them, or just after I wake up, do I remember how it's a continuation of something I've had before. I seriously cannot remember any of them. I might have to start recording my dreams and seeing if they correlate with events in life; I don't believe dreams are important at all, just whirlwinds and swirling circles of memories and ideas, but it'll be interesting.

I've had these continuation dreams. They are similar to chapters in a story in that they continue on from a previous session, which may have occurred days, weeks, or even months earlier. They are not as easy to remember the next day though, but once you've had them, you know you've been in that dream before. Judging by their nature, they don't appear to be random thoughts like most other dreams.

All I can say is, each morning you should write down your dreams. The more you do it, the better you will get at remembering them, the more vivid your dreams become.

Breaking teeth is generally accepted as a bad omen unfortunately for you. It's a little strange you have had quite a few of these dreams however.

I can't agree with Dalt's assertion that dreams are unimportant. Dreams are highly important and mean much more than we give them credit for.

My understanding is that breaking/losing/overgrowing/etc teeth dreams are relatively common, and generally considered to be a sign of vanity/unhappiness with appearance/etc.

In other words, stop worrying about how you look. You are going to get old and ugly anyway. Why worry about it now?

My understanding is that breaking/losing/overgrowing/etc teeth dreams are relatively common, and generally considered to be a sign of vanity/unhappiness with appearance/etc.

In other words, stop worrying about how you look. You are going to get old and ugly anyway. Why worry about it now?

The future may be written according to some... but if it can be foreseen, it can be changed.

I thought I read/heard somewhere (a long time ago) that the (fairly common) dream of teeth falling out was actually a subconscious fear of growing old. This more or less has the same theme as the "reflection of unhappiness/concern with appearance" you referred to.

I know that when I was in my 20's, 30's and 40's I used to frequently have that dream.

I'm pushing 60 now and I don't think I've had that dream for at least 20 years. Which probably means I've subconsciously come to terms with being an old fart and not giving a rat's clacker what anyone thinks of me anymore.

I've done this since I was a teen. Its always random s**t though, never useful information. But I'll dream about being at a location discussing a particular thing or doing a particular activity and then 3 or 4 year later it will happen.

nicky

People with anxiety disorders can be prone to these.

Yep, a long time ago I had one particularly very stressful job and was working extreme hours - employed by a company to help/solve some very serious financial and key operating problems. The stresses were primarily job related but also some on the personal front. During this I occasionally experienced dreams/nightmares of falling down a very VERY dark vertical cave with the sense (not seeing) of very heavy protruding objects from the walls and the cave narrowing as I was falling. I always woke before I struck the objects or reached the bottom. I haven't had those dreams since that job.

The mind is an amazing thing - in my case those dreams were relatively easy to decipher.

There's also a very rare condition where your teeth literally do become super loose in your gums. happened to a woman I worked with, woke up one morning and here teeth were all like, hanging out of her gums.

I've done this since I was a teen. Its always random s**t though, never useful information. But I'll dream about being at a location discussing a particular thing or doing a particular activity and then 3 or 4 year later it will happen.

If that is true, what you are saying, then in order for someone to see a future incident, there's a good chance that it must have previously occurred at some point in time. Are we reliving something over and over again, perhaps thousands of times?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had recurring dreams at various stages. The most common was that I could jump, as in long jump, and get to a stage where I didn't need to land so could float in the sky or fly. I've also had the teeth falling out dream a few times.

The dream I mainly have these days is that I find myself playing golf but never get to hit the ball. I'll be standing there lined up and the ball will fall off the tee and it takes ages to get the ball to stay on the tee. When I can finally get it to stay I decide I have the wrong club and keep selecting clubs but can't find the right one or the head falls off so I then have to pick another club. Whatever it is, I never get to hit the ball.

The theme of most of my dreams is that whatever I'm doing never reaches its conclusion.

I kinda had one when thinking of baby names. We had a first name picked but couldn't think of a middle name. I was told the name by a man in a dream and woke up with it in the middle of the night. Turns out it was my wife's great-grandfathers name. Perhaps I had heard it sometime in conversation and it stuck in my mind. I don't remember ever hearing it though.

I've had recurring dreams at various stages. The most common was that I could jump, as in long jump, and get to a stage were I didn't need to land so could float in the sky or fly. I've also had the teeth falling out dream a few times.

The dream I mainly have these days is that I find myself playing golf but never get to hit the ball. I'll be standing there lined up and the ball will fall off the tee and it takes ages to get the ball to stay on the tee. When I can finally get it to stay I decide I have the wrong club and keep selecting clubs but can't find the right one or the head falls off so I then have to pick another club. Whatever it is, I never get to hit the ball.

The theme of most of my dreams is that whatever I'm doing never reaches its conclusion.

Man that golf one sounds incredibly frustrating... Must have a meaning.

Reminds me a little of a dream I had when a teenager, a young teenager I might add, at that age when's dreams were starting to get a little more, well, amorous. Anyway this hot girl wanted me and I was bursting to have sex, and lots of people were watching, and I tried to initiate things but couldn't get in because I still had my pyjama pants on. I think it's pretty clear what that dream meant!!

I was meant to have this weekend off work... woke up early on Thursday morning that I would get asked to work a shift on Sunday... Get to work and one of the guys is in hospital and has the week off work so they ask me to cover his Sunday shift. Was such a weird feeling to have the manager ask me and I was like yeah I knew already I'd be working.

I have 2 recurring dreams.

1. The first is about not being able to take the next step when I am walking.
Its almost as if my legs are weighed down and to lift them or even slide them forward is a very hard thing to do...but I do it and struggle on. I feel people looking at me as they either pass me of approach me.

2. The other one is a bit like yours Duritz, where I can gravitate upwards and steer myself or angle myself leaning forward in mid air over or around an obstacle such as a person or an object like a tree or a pole. I can land if I want to.

I have 2 recurring dreams.

1. The first is about not being able to take the next step when I am walking.
Its almost as if my legs are weighed down and to lift them or even slide them forward is a very hard thing to do...but I do it and struggle on. I feel people looking at me as they either pass me of approach me.

I get that one a lot. Being chased and trying to run in treacle. They nearly always occur if i put too many covers on the bed or the room is really hot.

I often have a dream I can fly, though it's not flying like superman, more like I'm able to angle myself to be bounced upwards by air currents, and angle myself down to cut through them, if I wish. Though I never want to come down once up. It's a really great feeling.
I sort of have that, where you can fly by just flapping your arms.

You have to watch out for the power lines when you come down though ;)

On the way to the 2004 grand final I awoke on the bus over the night before around 3am with the last memory that Tredders marked at the 15 minute mark on the boundary 50 meters out and kicked port's 3rd goal.

In the game that in fact did happen. I told many people before the event...Most thought i was nuts until..

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back