AFL Autopsy Preseason Game 1: Defeated by the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I do not live year to year unfortunately.

Anything but success after 16 years of failure is un enjoyable, regardless of the circumstances.

Some might choose to look at the season and take the slight positives from it, that's fine. But I burned out of that mentality 8 years ago, simply cant do it anymore. its a sad way to support I know.
It's just an unofficial practice match. We were trialling players in new positions. We were fine in the first half, but we replaced a lot of our seasoned bodies (Guelfi, Shiel, Draper) for young players. I mean we had a 19 year-old Bryan vs Pittonet on top of the players already missing while Carlton kept a reasonably experienced side on the park.

It was an experimental game. We're not going to be world-beaters, most likely a bottom 6 side, but I wouldn't take much out of today.

This is up there with Carlton supporters calling Saad one of their best today.

Aside from one passage of play where he tore us apart, I’m struggling to see what he did to be in their best. For the most part it seemed he forgot what team he was on when he got the ball.

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
From an oppo perspective:

Guelfi looked great and gave SPS a bath early.

Pittonett had moments, but overall Draper/Bryan won the duel. Bryan looks really promising.

Devon Smith primed for a huge year.

Parish had a solid game and seems to have matured and is ready to take the next step. Has all the tools to become a top line midfielder of the comp.

Waterman is solid as f*ck and goes hard in straight lines. Reminds me of Jack Darling. Beautiful kick.

Cox is crazy versatile. Looks super calm and composed already.

Perkins did some really nice things but probably needs to take the first option a bit more. Tried to do too much at times but is obviously a huge talent.

I'll go light on the negatives as I'm in foreign lands.

LaVerde - I just don't see it with this guy, and yet he's in his seventh season. Offered very little.

Cutler - Had a random tantrum at a Blues player on the wing for no real reason, and that was about it.

LaVerde - I just don't see it with this guy, and yet he's in his seventh season. Offered very little.
He's basically Stringer lite but he's been injured his entire career. It's a wonder he's even on the list with cuts and so forth. It's also bizarre that he's playing as a defender. If there's one thing the guy needs it's continuity, finally gets that with his body and they make him play at the wrong end :drunk:

'51 Bewick

Club Legend
Feb 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks
From an oppo perspective:

Guelfi looked great and gave SPS a bath early.

Pittonett had moments, but overall Draper/Bryan won the duel. Bryan looks really promising.

Devon Smith primed for a huge year.

Parish had a solid game and seems to have matured and is ready to take the next step. Has all the tools to become a top line midfielder of the comp.

Waterman is solid as f*ck and goes hard in straight lines. Reminds me of Jack Darling. Beautiful kick.

Cox is crazy versatile. Looks super calm and composed already.

Perkins did some really nice things but probably needs to take the first option a bit more. Tried to do too much at times but is obviously a huge talent.

I'll go light on the negatives as I'm in foreign lands.

Cutler - Had a random tantrum at a Blues player on the wing for no real reason, and that was about it.
Great write up. Well done.

Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
So Devon Smith looked fit and ready to go?
That'd be nice

careful - he’s a bit of a fan favourite around here.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

We’ve got a running joke about Tom:

He plays like he has a egg in his pocket that he has to protect at all costs otherwise his family members will get hurt.

I can only assume he was worried Cunningham had damaged his egg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Seeing Adam Saad in Carlton colours is like seeing that one s**t ex who was only ever about the cash hanging around your mates trying to bum a drink.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
Things I noticed from watching the first half:

Parish had a lot of high quality touches. Looks to have improved. Linked up well with Draper at centre bounces.
Draper very good ruck work, as expected.
Hind better than I expected.
Cahill some nice I50s.
Heppell moving about a lot on the mark; will probably give away 50m in regular season. Also tripped over nothing in the 2nd quarter and gave away a goal. Looked more comfortable when moving through the midfield.
Cox had one of the worst set shots on goal I've seen. Almost OOBF but didn't make the distance. Daniher replacement?
Perkins quiet, but when he got the ball he did something good with it.
Harrison Jones some nice grabs.
Ham has filled out and I didn't realise it was him at first. Had some nice touches and should be named round 1.
Guelfi very solid contributor.
Saad really good for us Carlton and made them us look a bit slow in the forward line.
Ridley picked up where he left off last year. Rarely does anything wrong.
Dev Smith moved like the 2018 version, so I expect a better year from him.

Not a bad hitout. Overall, I thought our forwards let us down a bit at times and undid some good work by the mids.

Dev is fit
The Guelf was arguably BOG 1st half
Perkinator has a bit of Stevie J about him
Like Hepps in the Daniel Rich/Hodgey role
Hind is a jet and kicking way improved
Caldwell relished his midfield minutes
Draperman/Bryan combo worked a treat
Waterman. i like the boy...... damn solid unit too

THE BAD was the defense (Lav and Stewie NOOOOOOO and some of the disposal from transition to attack was atrocious and needs polishing)

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Waterman was superb and Cahill, Caldwell very poised.

My advice??
Try Francis at CHF, Jones/Stewart Forward, Waterman as a small forward and around the CHF.
Tippa in the middle more, try him around the contests.

You want good leading forwards and quality transition from midfield --> CHF to Forward, etc.

Hooker was disappointing. It's weird seeing our Senior players basically on the fringe. Hurley sick, Zaharakis recovering. Heppell not at his best.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not going to get too excited about Waterman yet. Let's see him perform strongly again next week, and remember that Kyle Hardingham kicked four on debut.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
Notes from 2nd half:

Carlton player, Ed Curnow, penalised for moving off the mark. Utterly ridiculous penalty for negligible movement.
Harrison Jones more strong marks. Get him in your SC team. Considering our other forward options, he should easily be best 22. Dodoro has done well here.
Hooker, playing as a forward, was repeatedly outpointed.
Wright also didn't do much, either forward or in the ruck. Two goals each to Wright and Jones, but Jones did a lot more than Wright today. Wright was gifted his two goals. Jones earned his.
Honestly didn't notice Caldwell that much, but I felt he was better in the second half. Had some decent tackles and a nice I50. Edit: on re-watching, I notice he got some good possessions on the inside.
Saady with some nice bursts though the midfield swayed the game in our Carlton's favour.
Waterman didn't get it much but when he did, he was kicking goals, two of which came from frees. Took some clean marks, too.
Cutler and Laverde very ordinary. We look so bad when they're both in D50.
Nick Bryan, whilst pretty good around the ground, seemed uncompetitive at centre bounces.

Dow was really good for Carlton.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back