AFL Autopsy Preseason Game 1: Defeated by the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Yep. Lets rush the raw KP bloke who played zero footy last year. Sounds like a good plan.
Though I see part of your sarcasm as making some sense, it’s also Essendon’s most unsuccessful period in its history so maybe we try something a little different. Though the great Dustin Fletcher didn’t miss a year of football he was a raw kid and well poor Anthony Daniher more or less missed out on a premiership because of him.

Though I see part of your sarcasm as making some sense, it’s also Essendon’s most unsuccessful period in its history so maybe we try something a little different. Though the great Dustin Fletcher didn’t miss a year of football he was a raw kid and well poor Anthony Daniher more or less missed out on a premiership because of him.

The point is they have missed a year of footy and also a year of full training. I suspect all three may well play games but they will have to be managed this year. Why would you risk what may come down the track just to play some extra games in what will be another year of rebuilding anyway ? Reid is slightly less developed compared to Cox and Perkins. If he plays a few games this year then it will be great but in the bigger picture it will not really be a loss if he plays a year of VFL after all we are actually looking 5 years ahead now.

Did this happen????

Club will announce some good news next week during the practice match against Carlton.

Michael Hurley is still alive and has both legs still attached (for now)

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Yep. Lets rush the raw KP bloke who played zero footy last year. Sounds like a good plan.

It’s only rushing if you expect them to perform. Development even if it means finishing bottom is best for us.

Last edited:

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
He's basically Stringer lite but he's been injured his entire career. It's a wonder he's even on the list with cuts and so forth. It's also bizarre that he's playing as a defender. If there's one thing the guy needs it's continuity, finally gets that with his body and they make him play at the wrong end :drunk:
I imagine the move to defence is linked to continuity.

Playing forward is more taxing on the body than playing in defence and his body hasn’t been able to stand up to it. So one last roll of the dice and see if his body can hold up when playing back. Pretty sure this was the thinking when they rolled Fantasia back last year as well.

Which isn’t to say I think it’s a good idea.

It’s only rushing if you expect them to perform. Development even if it means finishing bottom is best for us.

I have the total opposite view. All our draftee's have had no time in the system last year. It is not a normal circumstance. Development for them will be building training loads and fitness base after basically training by themselves all year. I am sure they will play footy but I am also sure they do not need to be over loaded on the basis we need to get games into them. Players have developed just as well playing a full year of VFL early on. Cox will most likely play more games due to his athletic ability. Perkins will most likely get a look and and I think Reid will at some stage.
Ladder position is no real issue for me. The issue I have is making sure these guys become the players they can be in 4 years time. Pushing them early after a year of no footy and only basic training is not how you maximize their potential.

Didn’t Dodoro say they were going to be treated as if they had missed a season through injury?
He might’ve done but other players who missed a season with injury are still able to play round 1... I think it’s more to do with managing training loads

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
Waterman kicks his second, can’t say I’ve seen him on the field since early second quarter until that play.
Will always be the issue. The guy is a great set shot from 55m in but he doesnt really have the tools at AFL level to get enough ball to have consistent impact on a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will always be the issue. The guy is a great set shot from 55m in but he doesnt really have the tools at AFL level to get enough ball to have consistent impact on a game.
I’m pretty sure he was actually just not on the field for most of that time.

Didn’t Dodoro say they were going to be treated as if they had missed a season through injury?
There have been a few comments from the club saying that they will be on a different than usual program.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He might’ve done but other players who missed a season with injury are still able to play round 1... I think it’s more to do with managing training loads
But you're not talking about rookies anymore... i.e a first year player, who happened to miss the year prior.

Johnson/Hird this year would be a more apt comparison. Or Elliot Kavanagh previously, if you want a R1 pick comparison. No one ever talked R1 with those blokes.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I have the total opposite view. All our draftee's have had no time in the system last year. It is not a normal circumstance. Development for them will be building training loads and fitness base after basically training by themselves all year. I am sure they will play footy but I am also sure they do not need to be over loaded on the basis we need to get games into them. Players have developed just as well playing a full year of VFL early on. Cox will most likely play more games due to his athletic ability. Perkins will most likely get a look and and I think Reid will at some stage.
Ladder position is no real issue for me. The issue I have is making sure these guys become the players they can be in 4 years time. Pushing them early after a year of no footy and only basic training is not how you maximize their potential.

Perkins looked like he needs a few weeks a VFL level getting back in to the swing of actual games, his athleticism and movement were great, but just didn't quite have that game sense. Cox looks ready to play in an outside role, could easily see Ham & Cox lining up on a wing from R1.

I can see Perkins playing a number of games in the second half of the year once he's had some actual games to get him off and going, not sure we need to rush Reid in anywhere unless he's bashing the door down at VFL level.

Why is it a risk?

If they can play, they can play.
The risk is they have not played or trained at a high level for over 12 months. Plenty of careers have been ****ed by playing young blokes before they are ready. Not saying it is a one size fits all situation but this is a different situation. No risks need to be taken. Players like Read will take 2 to 3 seasons anyway. If he is ready and plays 5 or so games then good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back