AFL Autopsy Preseason Game 1: Defeated by the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

QT:
ESS 3. 1 (19)
CAR 3. 3 (21)

Goals: Wright, Jones, Waterman (train-on)

HT:
ESS 5. 7 (37)
CAR 6. 4 (40)

Goals: Wright, Jones, Ham, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Waterman

3QT:
ESS 7. 8 (50)
CAR 12. 8 (80)

Goals: Wright 2, Jones 2, Ham, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Waterman

FT:
ESS 11. 8 (74)
CAR 14. 11 (95)

Goals: Waterman 4, Wright 2, Jones 2, Ham, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Cox

Felt a bit like watching a 2018 Bombers team with more young players tbh. Lack of impact at centre bounce, most scores coming off running half back play, lack of structure forward of the ball.

From a bunch of badly threaded tweets on the club twitter:

Caracella: It was exciting to be back. We had some players in new positions, so it was a good opportunity to see how that worked.

Caracella: Francis rolled his ankle in the third term. He tried to play it out but came off in the end.

Caracella: We'll see what happens with Waterman and a potential contract. He was impressive today.

Caracella: We had a lot of our backline playing together for the first time today. We felt they held their own.

Caracella: Cox, Perkins and Jones were in the side today because of how impressive they've been this pre-season. They're in the frame for round one.

Caracella: I was impressed with Caldwell today. We're starting to build depth in our midfield.

Caracella: Draper is a great athlete. He has speed, aerial ability and toughness. He didn't clunk many today but has been doing it consistently this pre-season.

Caracella: Hind has shown he's capable off half-back with his speed and decision-making. He looked good there alongside Heppell.

Last edited:
Good game. We went with an inexperienced side in the second half so the 3rd quarter was expected, but there's enough positives to take out of it.

Caldwell, Jones, Waterman, Draper, Cahill, Guelfi, Ham, Hind and Cox were impressive for us of the young/newcomers. Perkins will be a good pick up once he settles in. Bryan and Draper will make a good combo in years to come. I actually prefer Bryan over Phillips already.

Plenty to look forward to. A lot of experimenting going on, but I hope we settle our KPPs come round one.

Cutler... Never again, though we already knew that.

Liked the look of Jones, Caldwell, Cox, Bryan, Draper out of the young blokes. Perkins was a bit off the pace but I'm sure will find his feet soon.

Stewart and Heppell looking good down back as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to judge given we a lot of it was circlework when it got on the outside for both sides but I'm still pretty concerned by how easily sides go from arc to arc against us. Lot to like about a few individuals though. Bryan, Cahill, Caldwell, Cox, Jones all look very competent. Waterman a very pleasant surprise, built strong, low to the ground, plays in front and kicks straight.

Saad is still their second best player, I'm standing by that.

1st qtr was played at breakneck speed and a lot of the players looked gassed, settled in the 2nd, controlled (dominated) possession and much better composure. 3rd, changed the squad and it showed, but there were still some glimpses. 4th again had more control and won the quarter, albeit a bit scrappy.. Guelfi, Cahill (early), Hind, Heppell, Cox, Draper, Caldwell (really impressed me, keeps his feet, strong in tackles, always gets a handball out, gonna be awesome for us), Parish (got a few nice clearances) Walla and Waterman the better performed players on the day for mine.. some good signs, but also some deficiencies... going to be a fun season 😏

going to be a long long sh*t year
Yep. This is rebuild territory, whether they want to use the R word or not. You can choose whether to be sad about the W/L ratio or happy about other aspects though, and unlike previous years I'd expect us to get better as the year goes on, rather than losing the gd plot.

Only if you expected anything more than bottom 6, forget about results and watch the future, this year will be enjoyable if you watch Jones, Draper, Perkins, Cox etc
Exactly.

The optimist in me think we will end up outside the bottom 6, but I’m going in with zero expectations and it feels good.

That said if we lose to Hawthorne in round 1 I’ll be disappointed.

Last edited:
Only if you expected anything more than bottom 6, forget about results and watch the future, this year will be enjoyable if you watch Jones, Draper, Perkins, Cox etc

Yep. This is rebuild territory, whether they want to use the R word or not. You can choose whether to be sad about the W/L ratio or happy about other aspects though, and unlike previous years I'd expect us to get better as the year goes on, rather than losing the gd plot.

I do not live year to year unfortunately.

Anything but success after 16 years of failure is un enjoyable, regardless of the circumstances.

Some might choose to look at the season and take the slight positives from it, that's fine. But I burned out of that mentality 8 years ago, simply cant do it anymore. its a sad way to support I know.

I do not live year to year unfortunately.

Anything but success after 16 years of failure is un enjoyable, regardless of the circumstances.

Some might choose to look at the season and take the slight positives from it, that's fine. But I burned out of that mentality 8 years ago, simply cant do it anymore. its a sad way to support I know.

Yeah it's tough but also reality, maybe don't watch the games live, watch when you know the result, easier to stomach

Yeah it's tough but also reality, maybe don't watch the games live, watch when you know the result, easier to stomach

I generally start the game live - then when it all turns it s**t I grumble off and tinker in the garage and come back and sook later.

wife hates it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back