Preview Preview and Changes: Round 6 - Port v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common sense from Michael Christian. I am without words.

Probably not a popular opinion/perspective but I occasionally listen to Sam Newmans podcasts as he does get some interesting interviews.
He recently interviewed Michael Christian and he went through his role and how decisions are arrived at.
Was pretty obvious that while he is the front man a lot of it is stage managed by the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Use him as a decoy. Tell to run to position we won't be kicking to. Georgi and Toddy will be the beneficiaries.
I think we have plenty of evidence to support thay Dixon would never play the decoy / Hinkley would never ask Dixon to play the decoy. Nine years of evidence to be exact.

Generous.
I just checked the odds and it is $1.78 pies $2.08 port. It's pretty close, but i honestly thought it would be closer than that. Whilst i still see the pies at the MCG as a big scalp, this is a very winnable game for us. Given our form versus theirs heading in, we should be confident of a win, but also realise we need to be on our game from the start and that the performance against freo wasn't good enough.

Yes the last time we played them at the mcg they flogged us but that was the worst game we played all season, and from memory every time we went near it the umpires blew the whistle and gave Collingwood a free. 34 frees to 15 and we were -57 in contested possessions. I honestly don't think we will allow the CP to get out of hand like that again. That was ridiculous, but we were all over the shop at the start of last season. I actually think we are handling the start to the season much better this year than last year.

we definitely should've beaten them at home last year, carbon copy of the dees game from earlier this year, where statistically we were all over them except where it mattered on the scoreboard.

and whilst i still think the pies can make the 8, this is not the same team they were last year. Everything they touched turned to gold last year.

David King doing everything he can to get the Butters decision overturned. His hatred and envy for Port has no bounds...

I wouldn't be surprised in the future there is a line through the middle of the oval, wing to wing, and the player attacking a contest away from the centre line has to 'give way' to the player approaching the centreline to avoid these head on instances. Or at least to let players know who the onus is on.

I don't agree with Kingy here at all but he's not speaking from some sort of Port bias.
I also agree with you. King is pretty consistent on this, no matter who it is. But he's jumping the shark here. He's arguing that this is exactly the same as Cotchin on Shiel in the PF when Shiel was knocked out. He says you can't suspend just based on outcome. If that's the case, then you would have a couple of incidents per game that should be suspended, because someone has gone for the ball and made incidental contact with an opponents head.

"The real question," says Brogan, "is what do you do with the second ruck when he might only play in ruck for five minutes a quarter?"

Indeed, with interchange rotations cut there is more risk than benefit in changing rucks from the bench. And the era of a "resting" ruck in a pocket is long gone ...

"If you are on the field," adds Brogan, "you have to contribute (rather than rest)."

The tone of the article is it's not going to happen.

Disagree with that statement from Brogan. They aren't just playing ruck 5 minutes a quarter. They are covering #1 ruck in the centre 5 mins a quarter, but when they are #2, they are also taking all boundary throw ins and ball ups in the front 60 metres or so of the ground. Allowing for the #1 ruck at the time to play that role a kick behind the play chopping off, staying fresh.

Also, pending any injuries, you sub the #2 ruck off in the second half of the 3rd quarter for that extra run to finish the game.

I just checked the odds and it is $1.78 pies $2.08 port. It's pretty close, but i honestly thought it would be closer than that. Whilst i still see the pies at the MCG as a big scalp, this is a very winnable game for us. Given our form versus theirs heading in, we should be confident of a win, but also realise we need to be on our game from the start and that the performance against freo wasn't good enough.

Yes the last time we played them at the mcg they flogged us but that was the worst game we played all season, and from memory every time we went near it the umpires blew the whistle and gave Collingwood a free. 34 frees to 15 and we were -57 in contested possessions. I honestly don't think we will allow the CP to get out of hand like that again. That was ridiculous, but we were all over the shop at the start of last season. I actually think we are handling the start to the season much better this year than last year.

we definitely should've beaten them at home last year, carbon copy of the dees game from earlier this year, where statistically we were all over them except where it mattered on the scoreboard.

and whilst i still think the pies can make the 8, this is not the same team they were last year. Everything they touched turned to gold last year.
This is exactly the type of game where we continually sh*t the bed.

Nothing this year has given me any confidence that the result will be different this time.

Watch our loser coach talk up the opposition this week and say there is no bigger challenge than playing the reigning premiers at the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given our form versus theirs heading in,
Their bad form is a mirage. They had a slow start, but they won a flag and the season also started a heck of a lot earlier than normal with less preseason games and training than ever before. After a freshen up and 2 wins on the trot, I'd be surprised if they aren't up and about. They'll probably be sitting 3-3 next week and probably back in the 8 the week after.

Finlayson doesn't take enough ruck contests and his ruckwork isn't good enough to need replacing.

12 a game, which was covered with Dixon, Wines, Georgiades and Marshall.

Rucci needs to * off back to Cibo

Out
Dixon (rested, you can't talk about needing to rest him then not do it) Mead

In
Visentini or Scully, probably Visentini
Boak to sub

Out
Dixon (rested, you can't talk about needing to rest him then not do it) Mead

In
Visentini or Scully, probably Visentini
Boak to sub
Visentini did nothing, why would he play.

Their bad form is a mirage. They had a slow start, but they won a flag and the season also started a heck of a lot earlier than normal with less preseason games and training than ever before. After a freshen up and 2 wins on the trot, I'd be surprised if they aren't up and about. They'll probably be sitting 3-3 next week and probably back in the 8 the week after.
Maybe a bit of a mirage but I definitely don't think they look anywhere near as good as what they were last year. even after getting their season back on track against the Lions with a good win, they were rubbish against a really struggling Hawthorn that had plenty of chances late to win that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back