Priority picks - it was only 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if we get an end of round pp this year. .. There goes our chance of getting one early next year. No way they will give a Pp two years running even if we have a zero win season next year.
If we don't get more than 4 wins next year we will be applying for a PP again.

If we don't get more than 4 wins next year we will be applying for a PP again.
AFL will point out that we were given a PP the year before. Case closed. It really irks me that the one year we are going to go hard from the top down for a full club rebuild and a lot of it is probably relying on a high PP and the AFL goes and screws us over. I said earlier I bet the PP 3 talks from the AFL has been withdrawn because we are going to likely look at options for a trade out of Rocky and Hanley. Imagine the melt when the Lions get a free hit at an elite prospect and then add another 3 top 10 picks potentially.

AFL gotta look after the Vic clubs especially with the rise of GWS and the continual success of the Swans, Crows and Weagles. Look what happened during our P'ship years and the following year when Eagles and Swans were winning...AFL were handing out PPs to Vic clubs like confetti.

AFL will point out that we were given a PP the year before. Case closed. It really irks me that the one year we are going to go hard from the top down for a full club rebuild and a lot of it is probably relying on a high PP and the AFL goes and screws us over. I said earlier I bet the PP 3 talks from the AFL has been withdrawn because we are going to likely look at options for a trade out of Rocky and Hanley. Imagine the melt when the Lions get a free hit at an elite prospect and then add another 3 top 10 picks potentially.

AFL gotta look after the Vic clubs especially with the rise of GWS and the continual success of the Swans, Crows and Weagles. Look what happened during our P'ship years and the following year when Eagles and Swans were winning...AFL were handing out PPs to Vic clubs like confetti.
If they do it properly this year we wouldn't apply for a PP next year. We'll point out the end of first round pp is dog crap and if they'd given us a proper pp we wouldn't be asking for another one.

If they do it properly this year we wouldn't apply for a PP next year. We'll point out the end of first round pp is dog crap and if they'd given us a proper pp we wouldn't be asking for another one.
I hope that is the case but it seems the boat has sailed. Talk is getting louder we will get pick 19 and we can either take it or leave it. While it is a joke we will have to take it for obvious reasons.

The club's submission to the AFL next year could start with Now, where were we? Oh yes ....

"Priority Pick III: The Return of the Application"

This year must be "The Empire Strikes Back", which works on all levels.

AFL is screwing us over? Victorian conspiracy? Serious over reaction right here. In terms of PP we don't deserve anything, anything we get is a bonus. Yes pick 3 would be great, but... Look at how much money they are pumping into the club, we would be insolvent without their help. They have got us the best GM of Footy money can buy. Your comment about losing a pick 3 PP because of a trade is 100% a guess as well. Then to top it off the old Victorian conspiracy comes out. I know it's frustrating news but probably worth taking a step back.

AFL is screwing us over? Victorian conspiracy? Serious over reaction right here. In terms of PP we don't deserve anything, anything we get is a bonus. Yes pick 3 would be great, but... Look at how much money they are pumping into the club, we would be insolvent without their help. They have got us the best GM of Footy money can buy. Your comment about losing a pick 3 PP because of a trade is 100% a guess as well. Then to top it off the old Victorian conspiracy comes out. I know it's frustrating news but probably worth taking a step back.
Given the PP was pretty much signed and sealed at pick 3 up until a few days ago (according to some posters) I think that's screwing us over myself. I suppose its my own imagination getting the better of me but there is evidence that the AFL look after the Victorian clubs before others and I would have thought that was fairly obvious so you can understand why some people don't believe in a 'Victorian Conspiracy' but that there is indeed some major favouritism going on. It's great that they have finally decided to intervene and try to at least put us on level playing field to the rest of the competition but I would have thought a high PP would also be part of that equation. If we are going to get a PP may as well get it right the first time... it's still going to piss everyone off if its pick 3 or pick 19 so I don't see any benefit to giving us pick 19.

I think you're overselling it a bit.

As far as rights to PPs go, whatever - it's a flawed system and we're playing within that flawed system. Everything's been compromised for years.

"Look at the AFL giving us this money we don't deserve" isn't right though. The AFL collect all of the money from the TV rights. That is the largest piece of the pie. We get part of the ticket sales, but as a comp, the AFL wouldn't be viable in its current form on ticket sales alone. The AFL do then give us part of the TV rights as a distribution, but they keep a fairly sizable chunk for themselves. "AFL handouts" are giving us slightly more of the money we already earned for them.

"Priority Pick III: The Return of the Application"

This year must be "The Empire Strikes Back", which works on all levels.

The (Revenge...? No...Blue Harvest - Horror Beyond Imagination?...No) Return of the Application

I'm still not convinced it's pick 19 - still haven't seen a single quote or Gil speech indicating they've changed their minds... only reporters using each other as sources.

That said, if they do give us pick 19, I think the club actually should turn it down. A statement along the lines of "the AFL have offered us an end of first round priority pick. We do not believe that this will have a significant impact on our list management, and given the potential stigma that comes from receiving a priority pick, we believe that our club is better off not to accept such a pick."

I actually don't think it would have substantial impact on our list either. We currently have 5 picks in the ND. Trade Green out, Frost and Dunn in - left with 4 picks. None of those trades will have much effect.

Current - 2, 20, 28
With EOR1 PP - 2, 19, 21, 29

Really, the difference is effectively pick 21 vs 28, which after academy picks will probably be more likely pick 26 vs 33. Not a lot of difference there. I suppose we might be able to trade up slightly, but not a load.

Not worth the stigma for mine. That said, it'd be a "damned if you do" situation. Either "we aren't giving them a priority pick, we gave them one last year" or "it's their own doing - they should've accepted the priority pick".

I'm still not convinced it's pick 19 - still haven't seen a single quote or Gil speech indicating they've changed their minds... only reporters using each other as sources.

The strategic leaking has begun. 11 at absolute best but almost certain to be 19.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No club willing to pay his salary next year, what makes you think they will pay it for in 2018 ?

According to who? Surely he isn't over 600k at the moment? Hardly too much for a player of his ilk.

Sorry I don't know if I misunderstood that, but the stink up by other clubs and the football public would't be any bigger. The other clubs/football public don't want us to get pick 3, and regardless of what we do at the trade table they still won't like us getting pick 3. But if we're trading out those who are perceived to be our best players, bearing in mind the football public and other clubs all have the view that this club is an absolute shambles and a basket case, the stink up about getting pick 3 would be smaller if anything.

Trading out senior players is a ballsy path to go down, but it seems from the outside that Schwab, Noble, Swann, and the AFL, are on the same page and very much looking at going down that path. Undeniably the best, and essentially the only way to get this club back to a position where it can challenge for premierships within the next decade is to trade out senior players who don't offer much in the way of leadership, but still have value at the trade table. If you're hoping to watch a competitive team have more wins in 2017/18, I'd be looking for another club if I was you. If you're hoping to see a Lions flag in the next decade, we've got a chance but only if we go down that road. It's as simple as that.

Your trying to tell me that by trading Rockliff and Hanley that the Football Public and Clubs would see us as even more of a rabble and that they'd ease up on the argument against us getting a Priotity Pick?

The idea of a Priority Pick is to get Elite talent through the door. The AFL, Clubs and Football public would be loathe if we recieved one and then traded two elite(at their best) players out of the club for speculative draft picks.

Schwab and Swanny may want to go down that path. I'll give you Noble too even though he is like a day into the job. Bit of a stretch saying that it would seem the AFL want us to go down a path where we trade our best senior players though.

I'm in complete disagreeance with where our list is at. I believe most of the talent is here already. We just need to keep adding to it. Trading out the senior players and leaving the younger players out would be a huge mistake.

And from a coaching perspective, why would you want a senior coaching gig at by far the worst side in the competition that is about to get worse if it trades out two of its better players?

It's not highly unlikely the we play finals football within the next 4 years of the current talent is developed properly.

At the end of the day, the Coach will have the call to make regarding Rockliff and Hanley. Not the list manager. They work in with the coach.

If we go down that path though, I'll back the club in.

But the only way the club will make money again is if we are at least competitive, given the fact the AFL is pumping so much money in, wouldnt they want us to become competitive as quickly as possible? That means fixing the club with senior heads (being done) and getting some high end talent in. We need top picks to do that not second rounders.

The strategic leaking has begun. 11 at absolute best but almost certain to be 19.
I don't want to hold on to false hope, but the only reports I've seen are from "journalists" who I wouldn't trust to accurately report the time of day, and who it appears are just copying each others' homework. I'm not saying they're wrong, but I'm definitely not saying they're right.

Have you seen any serious/reliable-ish journalist articles anywhere? If so, I would have to temper my expectations.

Strategic leaks I've heard so far as Gil saying he thought we deserved one, then Mark Evans saying he didn't favour priority picks early in the first round, then Gil saying on the Twitter thing that he thought we deserved one. That's it.

I don't want to hold on to false hope, but the only reports I've seen are from "journalists" who I wouldn't trust to accurately report the time of day, and who it appears are just copying each others' homework. I'm not saying they're wrong, but I'm definitely not saying they're right.

Have you seen any serious/reliable-ish journalist articles anywhere? If so, I would have to temper my expectations.

Strategic leaks I've heard so far as Gil saying he thought we deserved one, then Mark Evans saying he didn't favour priority picks early in the first round, then Gil saying on the Twitter thing that he thought we deserved one. That's it.

My view isn't totally informed by just a scan of the media articles. You seem to keep bringing it back to just that. It's filtering into clubland.

Gils on AFL360, and of those who tweet maybe get in touch with Robbo or the program to put it in as a question and then we can analyse every word, intonation and facial move as he won't come out and say it flat. Should be fun.

Excellent. A leak at the club. That's exceptionally comforting.

Not everything a person at the club says outside an official press conference is a "leak".

That term is getting broadly generalised into meaninglessness around here of late.

It's also linking up with another sub-movement of posters here who seem to feel the need to remind everyone "it it isn't reported by an official commercial media outlet it shouldn't even be worth discussing". God this place would suck if that was the case. Historically we have been consistently ahead of the media for a long time. We have some great posters.

Last edited:
Not everything a person at the club says outside an official press conference is a "leak".

That term is getting broadly generalised into meaninglessness around here of late.

Being somewhat Welsh I love a good leek. Make a real nice leek & eggplant ragu too.

Last edited:
If it was Collingwood in the same position as us, all of the same scenarios, ladder position and the like.
The Essendon saga, not really deserving pick 1.
Where would the afl's heads be at then.
Throw in Eddie Mcguire.
The outcry the Afl would receive if Collingwood did not get pick 1,2 or 3? Hell to pay.

It's also linking up with another sub-movement of posters here who seem to feel the need to remind everyone "it it isn't reported by an official commercial media outlet it shouldn't even be worth discussing". God this place would suck if that was the case. Historically we have been consistently ahead of the media for a long time. We have some great posters.
A leak is, practically by definition, the spreading of information not considered to be public knowledge at a given time. Seems to meet that definition to me.

Leaks can be organised and coordinated, like getting the word out early so that it's not a huge shock. AFL getting the word to the club would be a coordinated leak. Our club having people sharing details of board meetings, or information received from other sources, would be leaks, and would be bad leaks at that... Even if they come to you.

That said, if you've got a source at the club who says that it's likely to be EOR1, then that's disappointing, but still information. I'd be willing to believe that you actually do have a source, simply because you seem to be reasonably respected around the traps.

I don't know about us being "consistently ahead of the media" though - I'd say we hit enough targets just by sheer weight of guesses. Law of large numbers and all that. I don't really spend enough time tracking things to know which posters are reliable or not, so I just take things with a grain of salt unless there's a reason to believe it's backed up. And I don't consider Denham or Rucci or their ilk to be any form of back up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back