Private Schools

Remove this Banner Ad

More funding to a sector that, on international comparisons, is going backwards at a rate of knots. :think:

View attachment 1086013
Any idea if other nations are sliding like that? I have a theory that the more tech we bring in to our schools, the stupider kids are becoming.
What teenager isn't going to be distracted by YouTube, insta or gaming, while pretending to work during maths or science?

View attachment 1085718

The dire straits of public school funding today is the result of the war waged by successive Coalition governments against the Gonski funding plan to direct more government funding to those most in need.
I agree we need to set up a more transparent and structured method of school funding to prevent these kinds of inequities, but I think it's more a problem with vertical fiscal imbalance than private schools per se

Any idea if other nations are sliding like that? I have a theory that the more tech we bring in to our schools, the stupider kids are becoming.
What teenager isn't going to be distracted by YouTube, insta or gaming, while pretending to work during maths or science?
Oh yeah they do it in class. They are learning to hack their way around various filters and limits which can only be good for democracy.

Haha, the only issue is, they're doing it to play fortnite and become commercially indoctrinated. Not start a revolution.
Switch off Fortnite and you'll see a revolution.

Apart from Singapore, most countries are trending downwards to varying degrees. Like most things, the reasons are likely multi-faceted. We introduced Tech into the classrooms without a sufficient understanding of how it should be used to complement learning - the push from the department was to embed digital technologies in all learning areas - but a lot of ended up with kids ******* around on iPads - and the concept of using tech was "formatting a word document".

This initiative shifted in 2017 when a proper Digital Technologies curriculum was introduced - which is focused on a STEM approach to tech - explicitly teaching digital systems (engineering), computational thinking (maths and engineering) and data and information (maths).

EwjvfyjVEAI9--W

Government helping to keep private schools afloat :think:

Is the solely state or federal funding or a combination of both?

Since the federal government hands out most of the private funding, I'd say this is for federal. Is there a state equivalent, where 90+% of the funding goes to the public system?

1616746043500.png
1616746329004.png
1616746396020.png
1616746486970.png
1616746603999.png

Oh yeah they do it in class. They are learning to hack their way around various filters and limits which can only be good for democracy.
[/QUOTE

Reckon there is enough talent to avoid another Myki fiasco., implement a decenr contact tracing - Vic is a backwater in matters tech.

we sent our son to the same school as Nat Fyfe :)

When he was looking for a job (uni break) he emailed an application to a potential employer - he received a call within half an hour and an interview the next day. He was hired on the spot - it was all based on what school he went to. It's what happens in Perth - the 'old boys club' really helps.

We had numerous reasons for sending our son to this particular school. We enrolled him the day he was born, but we still kept our minds open. We picked an all boys school because we knew he was probably going to be an only child (took us 6 years to have him), we were financially able to. and we knew this particular school had a good reputation for mate-ship and leadership.

From an early age he excelled at sport and we knew this was important to him. A lot of the non-private schools just don't provide the same facilities, coaches and opportunities in WA. This particular school just became a 'good fit'.

He had a really good experience and I am glad we were able to provide this for him. He is a tolerant, humble and generous young man. I know his home life has helped him to develop these traits, but I feel the school he went to helped him to flourish.

At least Catholic schools teach them that they are not the centre of the universe, that they have an obligation to help others, that just because you drive a Merc does not make you a special person, that social justice is important. Because of the fees and the demographics of the Western suburban idiot parents, you are always going to get entitled w***ers at the end, but some are effected by what they are taught.

they have an obligation to help others
Unless it's violence or bullying, in which case the kid is often told "don't make a target of yourself" or "that's for you to sort out amongst yourselves".

Most recent example of many, my friend's son was being targeted in school by a known thug. The principal's insane response was to suggest that because the boy was sometimes disruptive in class, he was making himself more open to bullying in the playground.

Catholic schools are, in my experience, the worst for throwing their hands up and claiming they can't do anything. While of course running the usual Harmony Day stuff and thinking they've done their bit.

Dont exams expose this behaviour ?

Unless it's violence or bullying, in which case the kid is often told "don't make a target of yourself" or "that's for you to sort out amongst yourselves".

Most recent example of many, my friend's son was being targeted in school by a known thug. The principal's insane response was to suggest that because the boy was sometimes disruptive in class, he was making himself more open to bullying in the playground.

Catholic schools are, in my experience, the worst for throwing their hands up and claiming they can't do anything. While of course running the usual Harmony Day stuff and thinking they've done their bit.

Is this experience of Catholic schools a personal experience?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 years, 7-10. Then VCE starts in year 11, but only year 12 counts towards your score for uni entrance.

Year 11 is a bit late to pick up kids who slip through the cracks.
I have a nephew who was offered a backdoor into Swinburne & fell out after one term. There was no way he would have passed VCE. 21 later this year, only worked at Maccas.

Is this experience of Catholic schools a personal experience?
I saw it when I was in high school. Kids would get monstered and be told to deal with it themselves. I've seen it with friend's kids. A couple of teachers I know have some really primitive ideas on how to deal with it. One teacher I know - not a friend or teacher at my kids school but I have had to interact with him - even targets overweight kids for ridicule.

Catholic schools are not very Christian in my experience.

Year 11 is a bit late to pick up kids who slip through the cracks.
I have a nephew who was offered a backdoor into Swinburne & fell out after one term. There was no way he would have passed VCE. 21 later this year, only worked at Maccas.
Yep, that's why I loathe the idea of kids in front of ipads and laptops in almist every subject every day. Like I said, just a theory.

I saw it when I was in high school. Kids would get monstered and be told to deal with it themselves. I've seen it with friend's kids. A couple of teachers I know have some really primitive ideas on how to deal with it. One teacher I know - not a friend or teacher at my kids school but I have had to interact with him - even targets overweight kids for ridicule.

Catholic schools are not very Christian in my experience.

I had my girls at schools, Catholic private & public, one size did not fit all, no surprise, one has a couple of degrees, the other nil. Both earn about the same money & are sought after in the employment market.
There was no discernable difference in their schooling & by 22, no one asks about their schooling.

my post sounded more Pollyanna than it meant too - the bullying is s**t house and does not seem to have improved at all since I was at CBC Freo forty years ago.

Yep, that's why I loathe the idea of kids in front of ipads and laptops in almist every subject every day. Like I said, just a theory.

Readin', writiin', rithmatic ..... master those & you can pick the rest up if you want it hard enough.
Schooling without those skills is a waste of time & money.

4 years, 7-10. Then VCE starts in year 11, but only year 12 counts towards your score for uni entrance.

Some start their VCE studies in Year 10. Others do one-two Year 12 studies in their Year 11 year. Their top six Year 12 study scores whether done in their Year 11 year or Year 12 year count towards their ATAR.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back