Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Niiice, the first "_______ is training the house down!!" piece for Season 2021. At last some normality is restored to our plague-addled world:)
May have been a comparison with last year when he apparently turned-up in less than AFL shape.

Classic....

It's like we're expected to believe that the club is trolling Quinton just for kicks. Watching him (reputedly) play like an absolute demon in the scratchies last season, then consistently and maliciously not considering him for selection in the senior side. Then, when the season's over and nobody else wants to pick him up, the GFC turns back up and offers him another contract. Just so that they can all chuckle away throughout 2021 at his doomed efforts to actually get back into the senior team.

What an atrocious club culture we must have when this is how things are going down at the Cattery. It's little wonder that players from across the comp are clearly so reluctant to join the GFC, and that we also have so many players just sprinting for the exits.

Oh, wait...

Last edited:
It's like we're expected to believe that the club is trolling Quinton just for kicks. Watching him (reputedly) play like an absolute demon in the scratchies last season, then consistently and maliciously not considering him for selection in the senior side. Then, when the season's over and nobody else wants to pick him up, the GFC turns back up and offers him another contract. Just so that they can all chuckle away throughout 2021 at his doomed efforts to actually get back into the senior team.

What an atrocious club culture we must have when this is how things are going down at the Cattery. It's little wonder that players from across the comp are clearly so reluctant to join the GFC, and that we also have so many players just sprinting for the exits.

Oh, wait...
Or maybe he flagged he wanted a trade and the club invested in others instead. Could be a multitude of reasons other than club incompetence

Or maybe he flagged he wanted a trade and the club invested in others instead. Could be a multitude of reasons other than club incompetence

With respect to potentially having flagged the desire for a trade (considering nobody then turned up and showed meaningful interest in him), it would be a case of monumental miscalculation by him and his management were that to be true. If you want to tell your current club that you're interested in heading off, it would pay to have at least one club prepared to follow through before you start burning bridges where you are.

With respect to potentially having flagged the desire for a trade (considering nobody then turned up and showed meaningful interest in him), it would be a case of monumental miscalculation by him and his management were that to be true. If you want to tell your current club that you're interested in heading off, it would pay to have at least one club prepared to follow through before you start burning bridges where you are.
Similar miscalculations have happened

Why does reading the geelong board in the past year keep bringing up the following quote in my head.

“I’m sure you believe everything you’re saying. But what I’m saying is that if you believe something different, you wouldn’t be sitting where you’re sitting.”

― Noam Chomsky
If you think that quote is apposite - or even relevant - to an open, essentially unrestricted footy club forum featuring diverse and often flatly contradictory opinions, then you simply don't understand what Chomsky was saying.

Last edited:
Why does reading the geelong board in the past year keep bringing up the following quote in my head.

“I’m sure you believe everything you’re saying. But what I’m saying is that if you believe something different, you wouldn’t be sitting where you’re sitting.”

― Noam Chomsky
I'm pretty sure that's a quote about selection bias for people in positions of power leading to blind action.

Like, say you're a politician and you need a way to get forces out of Afghanistan. 9 generals say all counter insurgencies fail because political goals can't be met through military means, but the 10th one says "we can defeat this by storming the panshir Valley" then congratulations the idiotic 10th General is now in charge and failing as fast as his supply lines will let him.

So who are you saying is in a position of power here, and what is the selection bias that put them there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think that quote is apposite - or even relevant - to an open, essentially unrestricted footy club forum featuring diverse and often flatly contradictory opinions, then you simply don't understand what Chomsky was saying.
I can not discuss this any more deeply then I have already because well the quote is apt.

You have no problems. Not because you are free to believe what you want but because you believe and say the right thing.

Did see a few comments about him being played out of position a bit but didn't watch enough of the roos to really know much for sure

Yeah it's harder to judge incoming players from other clubs unless you really love your footy and watch neutral games regularly. I'm definitely not one of those!

Just can't find a place for Narkle as it stands.

Needs a hot pre-season and some stand out performances in 2021 to retain his list spot. Going to be tough for him...but I hope he steps up.

Its 2021 break out, or traded/delisted at season's end I suspect..
Needs to find more of the footy when up forward to make it at Geelong, has a burst in the midfield and looks good then proceeds to do nothing for 20 minutes.

Has Higgins actually started to deteriorate though?

I know that theoretical all players start to deteriorate at a point, but not sure Higgins is on a clear downward trend at this stage

By the end of last season Atkins lost his spot to Simpson, so technically that's only 1 spot. And having lost his spot up forward, Atkins is now training with the defensive unit,

Ablett has retired but would think that Higgins is slotting into his spot

Cameron & Smith will also slot into the 22 - but who's spot they're taking may be up for debate; one takes the spot vacated by Taylor, but someone else misses is we are to play all 3 recruits

Narkle is coming from outside the 26 as he couldn't even get an emergency spot towards the end of last season, and besides - how many of the above is he actually competing with for a spot?

Considering that Narkle is primarily a midfielder, isn't he more likely to be competing with the likes of Parfitt, Guthrie, Selwood, Menegola, Duncan & Dangerfield for a spot in the final 22? With a Dangerfield currently not 100% there may be a spot open, but otherwise, there's a bit of work for the likes of Narkle & Constable to push themselves from outside the best 26 to having a spot in the best 22, and against younger guys like Stephens who are also going to be pushing for a spot

Hopefully they get a clear run at things and put pressure on the incumbents - but don't think it's going to be an easy team to break into
They totally changed Higgins role last year, thought he was actually very good to be honest.

Hey Cats fans,

On FTP this week we discussed the intriguing prospect that is Quinton Narkle and how I believe he will be important come later in the year.

Apologies for the long post but I have to post it all here. The full article is here -https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/06/03/ftp-11/

If you enjoyed this - please check out our website and subscribe!

Quinton Narkle (#19) is one to watch for the Geelong Cats. He’s been given more opportunity this year to play inside midfield and has shown great signs. Narkle is a bull – possessing both the strength and speed to brush tackles aside. It was quite an interesting comparison when Smith said Narkle was a ‘bit like Dusty’. Obviously he wasn’t comparing him to the kind of output that a Brownlow Medal winner and 3 time North Smith medalist produces week to week but more so the type of qualities that Narkle possesses. You can kind of see it. Narkle breaks out of tackles and stoppages with ease – look at this passage of play and tell me it doesn’t remind you a little of Dusty.

His decision making has also improved out of sight – here holding onto the ball just long enough to fool the Saints defender to the outside option before nailing the inside kick.

Narkle is what many at Geelong thought Nakia Cockatoo could be – an inside midfield bull with great burst out of stoppage. Narkle’s production has increased immensely this year – averaging 19.2 disposals (significant increase from last year even factoring in shorter quarters) and his disposal efficiency has increased. His ToG is worrying at only 60.3% (although impacted by a game where he was the medical sub) – which points to a broader issue potentially regarding Narkle’s lack of a tank to run out games (his averages in the last two years hover from 57-64% which is incredibly low).

Regardless, he adds a different dynamic to a midfield of Selwood, Duncan, Menegola and Parfitt but has a lot of like for like qualities to the currently injured Dangerfield.

For a team that has been ridiculed for recruiting older type players and for having one of the more mature sides in the league – it must be rewarding for Cats fans to see a young talent like Narkle start to perform at AFL standard. It’s quite surprising he’s only played 6 games this year given he has shown both in the St Kilda game and on the weekend what he is capable of. 6 games is the most he has ever played in a season so that will clearly be beaten.

It may be a shock to say this but I believe Narkle will be important to a Cat’s premiership push. Because of his unique qualities it wouldn’t be farfetched to see Narkle step up in a big moment – by kicking a clutch goal or winning an important clearance when the Cats need it most. Narkle is one to watch for the rest of this year.

Hey Cats fans,

On FTP this week we discussed the intriguing prospect that is Quinton Narkle and how I believe he will be important come later in the year.

Apologies for the long post but I have to post it all here. The full article is here -https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/06/03/ftp-11/

Quinton Narkle (#19) is one to watch for the Geelong Cats. He’s been given more opportunity this year to play inside midfield and has shown great signs. Narkle is a bull – possessing both the strength and speed to brush tackles aside. It was quite an interesting comparison when Smith said Narkle was a ‘bit like Dusty’. Obviously he wasn’t comparing him to the kind of output that a Brownlow Medal winner and 3 time North Smith medalist produces week to week but more so the type of qualities that Narkle possesses. You can kind of see it. Narkle breaks out of tackles and stoppages with ease – look at this passage of play and tell me it doesn’t remind you a little of Dusty.

His decision making has also improved out of sight – here holding onto the ball just long enough to fool the Saints defender to the outside option before nailing the inside kick.

Narkle is what many at Geelong thought Nakia Cockatoo could be – an inside midfield bull with great burst out of stoppage. Narkle’s production has increased immensely this year – averaging 19.2 disposals (significant increase from last year even factoring in shorter quarters) and his disposal efficiency has increased. His ToG is worrying at only 60.3% (although impacted by a game where he was the medical sub) – which points to a broader issue potentially regarding Narkle’s lack of a tank to run out games (his averages in the last two years hover from 57-64% which is incredibly low).

Regardless, he adds a different dynamic to a midfield of Selwood, Duncan, Menegola and Parfitt but has a lot of like for like qualities to the currently injured Dangerfield.

For a team that has been ridiculed for recruiting older type players and for having one of the more mature sides in the league – it must be rewarding for Cats fans to see a young talent like Narkle start to perform at AFL standard. It’s quite surprising he’s only played 6 games this year given he has shown both in the St Kilda game and on the weekend what he is capable of. 6 games is the most he has ever played in a season so that will clearly be beaten.

It may be a shock to say this but I believe Narkle will be important to a Cat’s premiership push. Because of his unique qualities it wouldn’t be farfetched to see Narkle step up in a big moment – by kicking a clutch goal or winning an important clearance when the Cats need it most. Narkle is one to watch for the rest of this year.

Don't go bumping old player threads when we're waiting on the man to re-sign!

Edit - nice analysis though. I don't agree with all points, and I think Narkle has a long way to go, but good stuff. I don't think the "lack of a tank" analysis is fair, I think he had 23 disposals in the second half against Gold Coast? And he played 83% TOG in his most recent game. It's a bit simplistic to explain low TOG% with having an inadequate tank. I'll be more interested to see how he fares when we have Danger, Guthrie, Duncan, etc. etc. all back in the team and we're playing against a serious opposition.

Last edited:
Don't go bumping old player threads when we're waiting on the man to re-sign!

Edit - nice analysis though. I don't agree with all points, and I think Narkle has a long way to go, but good stuff. I don't think the "lack of a tank" analysis is fair, I think he had 23 disposals in the second half against Gold Coast? And he played 83% TOG in his most recent game. It's a bit simplistic to explain low TOG% with having an inadequate tank. I'll be more interested to see how he fares when we have Danger, Guthrie, Duncan, etc. etc. all back in the team and we're playing against a serious opposition.
To be fair though the higher ToG is a very new thing. The jump was tremendous. Remember the prelim against Richmond where he absolutely for it apart in the first half but was completely cooked after half time?

The step up for him has clearly just been based on his running ability which just looks a different level the last few games.

But definitely concur that this should be kept a secret until after he signs. Please delete thread

Hey Cats fans,

I honestly think that if he could run out games the way he does now back in 2019 then 50% chance we win the 2019 premiership. Go back and watch his first half, he just left Richmond's midfield behind and was a huge factor in our half time lead. After half time he was spent and Richmond just walked over us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back