Preview R11: Changes vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a listen to the Nicks presser and went beyond the headlines (which I don’t think reflected his actual stance), I do genuinely think Dowling is very close to a debut. Nicks was very glowing of his form and he is clearly next in line for a debut; I think he’ll play before Curtin does again tbh.
The question being though, will he only play if one of Laird or Crouch come out of the team? Or will Nicks give him a run with the other two still in the side? I feel as though he is seen as depth for these guys and will have to wait for one to get injured or rested.

Jones, Keays, Sholl, Mchenry all could have made way for him at some point over the last 4-5 weeks but he still hasn't come in.

The question being though, will he only play if one of Laird or Crouch come out of the team? Or will Nicks give him a run with the other two still in the side? I feel as though he is seen as depth for these guys and will have to wait for one to get injured or rested.

Jones, Keays, Sholl, Mchenry all could have made way for him at some point over the last 4-5 weeks but he still hasn't come in.
Honestly Dowling's skillset is vastly different to both Crouch and Laird, only thing he really has in common with those 2 is his ability to accumulate. Crouch and Laird are basically 1st touch inside mids, Dowling is way more balanced as a balanced mid (inside/outside), not overly quick but for size is very good overhead and has shown at U18's level he can be effective as a lead up medium forward that can hit the scoreboard. I'd like to see him given a go on the wing working between the arcs as a starting point to his AFL career.

Why does Nick's have such a hard on for Laird, Jones, McHenry and Smith

Because he believes they're putting in. He loves triers even if their skill level isn't up to standard.

Last edited:
I disagree, I think Dowling is more a balanced mid/accumulator than an inside bull and if anything is more effective outside the contest, he's one of those guys that can just find the football in bunches but is a pretty conservative user. If he could work on being more damaging with ball in hand I think there's definitely an AFL there because he's already shown he can also be effective up forward with his aerial ability and scoreboard impact at U18's level. If we bring him in soon I would like to see him utilised on the wing by choice.

Well in that case I have no idea why they haven't brought him in for McHenry

How have Sydney gone from battling with us for 8th only a few months ago to the most dominant team in the competition this year?

Where have we gone wrong and they've gone right?

They recruited Sydney Grundy, their ruck was a weakness and they got a top 3 ruckman in to fix it.

Plus, as others have said, they have a competent coach, a competent development team, competent list managers, competent recruiters etc etc.

We are so far behind, hopefully when we start our next rebuild we might have better people in these positions.

Last edited:
They recruited Sydney, their ruck was a weakness and they got a top 3 ruckman in to fix it.

Plus, as others have said, they have a competent coach, a competent development team, competent list managers, competent recruiters etc etc.

We are so far behind, hopefully when we start our next rebuild we might have better people in these positions.
You just know the club will use the Hardwick Bounce to roll thrugh the same group

You just know the club will use the Hardwick Bounce to roll thrugh the same group
Uhhh :think:, "the Hardwick Bounce" ...?

(P.S. I'm familiar with the Hardwick Hold, eg Eddie, goalsquare 2017 GF,
the Hardwick Incidental Punishment ie clobbering a bloke after disposal.
The Hardwick Pack Ploy, ie holding a man down in a marking pack on an Ump's blindside,
even the Hardwick Fake-out, ie pretend to be cooked, resign, then do a deal with the AFL to Coach GCS
on squillions :sneaky: )

Last edited:
2015 Richmond finished 5th and 2016 dropped to 13th and rumbles led to a review where instead of sacking Hardwick the board gave him more support and then 2017

Yeah 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly Dowling's skillset is vastly different to both Crouch and Laird, only thing he really has in common with those 2 is his ability to accumulate. Crouch and Laird are basically 1st touch inside mids, Dowling is way more balanced as a balanced mid (inside/outside), not overly quick but for size is very good overhead and has shown at U18's level he can be effective as a lead up medium forward that can hit the scoreboard. I'd like to see him given a go on the wing working between the arcs as a starting point to his AFL career.
Which just highlights the fact that he should have already come into the team for either Mchenry, Sholl or Jones and play on a wing. None of these guys have been performing at a level which should guarantee their spot.

It's really not that hard to just say Murphy had a good game. I don't think it will continue and expect he will revert to type soon enough, but I'll give credit when it is due.
Guess it was a good game for him, low bar though. Lacks polish.

His goal assists are a bit over rated. He should have kicked a goal but dished off an average handball to Fogarty and put him under the pump a bit. The other two were bombs to packs from memory.

His best assist was probably the handball he gave to Keays, which of course, Keays missed.

On motorola edge 30 pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(P.S. I'm familiar with the Hardwick Hold, eg Eddie, goalsquare 2017 GF,
the Hardwick Incidental Punishment ie clobbering a bloke after disposal.
The Hardwick Pack Ploy, ie holding a man down in a marking pack on an Ump's blindside,
even the Hardwick Fake-out, ie pretend to be cooked, resign, then do a deal with the AFL to Coach GCS
on squillions :sneaky: )

All that this is missing is that cringe youtube video of the 2017 grand final you post about 16 times a year

I had a listen to the Nicks presser and went beyond the headlines (which I don’t think reflected his actual stance), I do genuinely think Dowling is very close to a debut. Nicks was very glowing of his form and he is clearly next in line for a debut; I think he’ll play before Curtin does again tbh.
Taking whose spot? It's easy for Nicks to say that as no doubt, an injury/opportunity will arise.

I'm banking on it happening only when the Crows are no longer a mathematical chance to make finals.

Even when the facts around the intel are incorrect? Dowling is not in a contract year.
My intel about clubs circling Dowling is not wrong, even if the contract bit is. Source is someone in list management at an interstate club that tracks talent not getting regular AFL games closely.

Dowling will likely play games at some stage this year anyway, but right now other clubs believe he is gettable if Nicks continues to favour others even when he has good sanfl form.

Last edited:
Guess it was a good game for him, low bar though. Lacks polish.

His goal assists are a bit over rated. He should have kicked a goal but dished off an average handball to Fogarty and put him under the pump a bit. The other two were bombs to packs from memory.

His best assist was probably the handball he gave to Keays, which of course, Keays missed.

Bombs to a pack? His kick to Rachele at the top of the square had to be precise, especially with the sun in Rachele’s eyes.

The one he gave off to Fog happened because he’s a left footer running in from a left pocket, the percentage play was to give it off to someone in a better position (yes handball could have been better, but it was still the correct option).

I was the game and honestly wasn’t looking at stats (reception was shit so couldn’t even if I wanted to) and everyone around me was just as shocked to see Murphy playing that well. It was noticeable purely because those games are super rare for him.

I wouldn’t say season is over given 3 teams came back from worse positions last year to make finals and go deep, but it’s hard to get as excited about wins until we can start consistently winning those big games that are close. IF we win the next 3 as we should, then beat Sydney, I would be confident of finals again. Lose any of those 4 and that’s season done for me.
You're optimistic, we would still have to face Sydney, Brisbane, Essendon and Geelong away with guys like Jones, McHenry, Smith, and Murphy running around :D

You're optimistic, we would still have to face Sydney, Brisbane, Essendon and Geelong away with guys like Jones, McHenry, Smith, and Murphy running around :D
I’m sure Sydney, Carlton and GWS supporters felt the same at mid season of 2023 too! IF we won our next 3 and knocked off Sydney at home, those games don’t look as scary. Big IF though as our form this year would dictate it’s unlikely we are winning our next 4 anyway.

Which just highlights the fact that he should have already come into the team for either Mchenry, Sholl or Jones and play on a wing. None of these guys have been performing at a level which should guarantee their spot.
No argument from me if he gets a shot on the wing in place of Sholl or Jones at some point if they don't perform.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back