Preview R11: Changes vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks is getting closer to realising who the muppets are. McHenry out is good as is Hamill (he wont make it).

Need Murphy and Smith out now.
While I’m not outraged that Hamill is out - like you, I’m not entirely convinced he’ll make it - but he’s been fine the last two weeks. Why yo-yo him in and out of the side? Why not drop an underperforming player like Smith or Jones and make them earn their spot back… it’s just yet another meh selection decision.

When actually was the last time we made a selection call that you thought to yourself, wow, they’re really not effing about are they?

How is Berry ahead of Dowling? They are clearly vying for the same position. Did we just not want to play Dowling as sub (assuming that’s what Berry will be)?

I didn’t want Hamill in last week, but he then blankets Hill, provides some good drive off half back and is then dropped for a tall? wtf?
I suspect that selectors wanted someone who could tackle Reid relatively comfortably, and Berry fits that build.

If he could stitch up Hill, he is doing a good job. Saying that Berry is an exceptional tackler.
WC forwards worry me.
I was replying to the selection between Berry and Dowling. I was not happy that Hamill had been sacked again. If you go through my posts, you will see that I have been happy with how he has performed this year in our senior side. I was surprised when he was sacked the 1st time

I know it is confusing for the cartel, so I will explain the selection of defenders for the last two weeks.

Against Brisbane we used Curtin as a medium/small defender. Logan Morris, in his second game, kicked two first half goals and Callum Ah Chee also chipped in kicking another two goals on Curtin. Not surprisingly he was subbed off and not selected last week or this week.

Last week Collingwood had one (very) tall forward in Cox/Darcy with De Goey (188 cm) acting as their main focal point. We had no need for another tall defender. The only medium/small defenders that we had available were Bond (has struggled in the SANFL), Hamill and Ryan. I would have been happy to see Ryan get a run but it was a big ask to have him play his first game at the MCG against the reigning premiers, matched up on the 2023 Norm Smith Medallist.

This week the Eagles are playing 3 tall forwards, Darling (191 cm), Waterman (191 cm) and Ryan Maric (196cm). We could use Hinge as an undersized tall defender but we need his rebound from half back. The only available tall defender not playing in the AFL is Borlase who has been solid in his AFL games this year.

The final option was to drop another medium/small defender and retain Hamill.
Michalanney - No Way
Hinge - You have to be joking.
Nankervis - We all love the Nank

That leaves Brodie Smith. He had a poor start to the season when he was unable to play with a bad back. His last two weeks back in the 22 have been much better so he gets the last defender spot.

There you are, it wasn’t that confusing after all.

Schoenberg showed something in his first few years so deserve another chance to see if he can reproduce that after suffering Lisfanc, some with Hamill after his bout of concussions but then get dropped after playing his best AFL game for a while.
The longer Shoenberg has been out, the better he has become.

He showed some good signs early in his career but has been mostly average since. Very hit or miss by foot and not the fittest midfielder going around.

Hope he does well, but I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to yo-yo in and out of the side.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know it is confusing for the cartel, so I will explain the selection of defenders for the last two weeks.

Against Brisbane we used Curtin as a medium/small defender. Logan Morris, in his second game, kicked two first half goals and Callum Ah Chee also chipped in kicking another two goals on Curtin. Not surprisingly he was subbed off and not selected last week or this week.

Last week Collingwood had one (very) tall forward in Cox/Darcy with De Goey (188 cm) acting as their main focal point. We had no need for another tall defender. The only medium/small defenders that we had available were Bond (has struggled in the SANFL), Hamill and Ryan. I would have been happy to see Ryan get a run but it was a big ask to have him play his first game at the MCG against the reigning premiers, matched up on the 2023 Norm Smith Medallist.

This week the Eagles are playing 3 tall forwards, Darling (191 cm), Waterman (191 cm) and Ryan Maric (196cm). We could use Hinge as an undersized tall defender but we need his rebound from half back. The only available tall defender not playing in the AFL is Borlase who has been solid in his AFL games this year.

Michalanney - No Way

That leaves Brodie Smith. He had a poor start to the season when he was unable to play with a bad back. His last two weeks back in the 22 have been much better so he gets the last defender spot.

Thanks Nicksy

Michalanney - No Way

Sure Smith has been improved the last couple of weeks but Hamill has also been fine. Why exactly does Smith automatically get the last defender spot? And you also didn’t mention Jones, who has been average to complete arse all season. Why doesn’t he come out? Dropping Hamill is fine - let’s face it, he’s unlikely to make it - but it’s still utterly blah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only beat you by 24 minutes
I blame my partner; she just got home from work and I was listening to the post-work stories breakdown.
Her boss is being transferred.
She had a good day (wasn't abused by Customers, always a good day).
Had a good lunch, freebie, and that's the 24 minutes right there.

I blame my partner; she just got home from work and I was listening to the post-work stories breakdown.
Her boss is being transferred.
She had a good day (wasn't abused by Customers, always a good day).
Had a good lunch, freebie, and that's the 24 minutes right there.
Nice of her to give you the short version. The boss transfer part could have been 24 minutes alone.

Hmmm, Schoenberg is far better than McHenry imo.
I don't rate him due to his fumbling and lack of care with his disposal, but seeing as we're giving everyone else 4th/5th/23rd chances, we might as well give him another shot. Hopefully the penny dropped for him during his rehab - to come back from an achilles in that amount of time is a decent effort.

If he could stitch up Hill, he is doing a good job. Saying that Berry is an exceptional tackler.
WC forwards worry me.
Surely Hamill was a good choice for Liam Ryan this week...

Sure Smith has been improved the last couple of weeks but Hamill has also been fine. Why exactly does Smith automatically get the last defender spot? And you also didn’t mention Jones, who has been average to complete arse all season. Why doesn’t he come out? Dropping Hamill is fine - let’s face it, he’s unlikely to make it - but it’s still utterly blah.
Jones is playing on the wing. Imho he had the better of Lipinski last week.

Lipinski is a good footballer and has looked dangerous tonight against Freo. Some posters only notice the bad stuff players do and ignore the good stuff if they are on their “shoot him to the moon” list.

Last week Chayce had 19 disposals and 452 metres gained. Other than Sholl against the Kanga Cones, that is arguably the best game by a Crow wingman this year.

As for Schoenberg, I had just about given up on him last year but he was O.K. when he came back into the AFL late last season. He has a lot of whipping boy potential.

Last edited:
I don't rate him due to his fumbling and lack of care with his disposal, but seeing as we're giving everyone else 4th/5th/23rd chances, we might as well give him another shot. Hopefully the penny dropped for him during his rehab - to come back from an achilles in that amount of time is a decent effort.
Schoenberg has had good games of AFL football.

Has McHenry had any games where you have thought wow?

We need to be getting games into players which have upside, even if they don't end up making it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back