Autopsy R12 Hawthorn Hawks v Gold Coast Suns @ MCG, Saturday 1.45PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I will save the Good News for the end of this post.

3. The Good News. Every club can upgrade a rookie after round 11. Which will be from Monday onwards. So if they want to play Darcy Mac they can. I hope they do since the kid has earned it and so I won't have to read all the posts about why he was not upgraded. It has been rinse recycle repeat the posts every week on the NEAFL thread about upgrading him. If they don't upgrade him? Might stay off that thread.

That must be the rule he was talking about then. That's awesome. Thx Strop.

You could just hear in his voice how excited he was that he was now officially in consideration for a senior game, and not just continually BOG'ing it up in the reserves, but with no chance of promotion.

We are one group of supporters that have forgotten that rookie upgrade rule.
Had way more LTI's than rookies to upgrade.

Will Rischa play NEAFL this week, I think Ah Chee would play NEAFL before making his way back. My changes would be McKenzie in for Joyce (rested), MacPherson for Brodie. Following week barring injuries, Ah Chee in for Lemmens, and Rischa pushing for a spot.

I thought Lemmens was good! Some of his decision making as a forward is questionable, but given he's played most of his career as a back, that will take time to fix. He could have easily finished with 3 goals. Finishing ability will come too.

Lemmens offers us something we don't have a lot of in the side IMO - defensive pressure. He charges into the contest at full speed. He's one of the few that gives us ground coverage at the moment. His spot is secure. He's playing his role very well.

Ainsworth and Ah Chee will both be playing in the 2s next week anyway.

Only change I would do is McKenzie in for Joyce.

I thought Lemmens was good! Some of his decision making as a forward is questionable, but given he's played most of his career as a back, that will take time to fix. He could have easily finished with 3 goals. Finishing ability will come too.

Lemmens offers us something we don't have a lot of in the side IMO - defensive pressure. He charges into the contest at full speed. He's one of the few that gives us ground coverage at the moment. His spot is secure. He's playing his role very well.

Ainsworth and Ah Chee will both be playing in the 2s next week anyway.

Only change I would do is McKenzie in for Joyce.
"Lemmens could have finished with 3 goals"
It actually could have been 4 and that's kinda of the point..
He fluffed some golden chances, chances that Ainsworth and Ah Chee probably wouldn't have... When they are ready they have got to come in.. Because Lemmens nearly cost us the game... but Lemmens has some attributes so hopefully he keeps getting better...
Also Mcpherson has to come in.. you cannot ignor his run of form... he has been outstanding!

"Lemmens could have finished with 3 goals"
It actually could have been 4 and that's kinda of the point..
He fluffed some golden chances, chances that Ainsworth and Ah Chee probably wouldn't have... When they are ready they have got to come in.. Because Lemmens nearly cost us the game... but Lemmens has some attributes so hopefully he keeps getting better...
Also Mcpherson has to come in.. you cannot ignor his run of form... he has been outstanding!
Lemmens nearly cost us the game? I would have had him in my top dozen. His pressure acts and ability to hit people at pace and contests at pace makes him very valuable. He's not in the forward 50 to kick goals. If he does that's a bonus in my view. He's there to chase and harass, something I think he does well. He's not getting dropped any time soon, I can promise you that. Sure he doesn't have all the talent and nous, but he walks his butt off.

I'm not disagreeing that Darce comes in. He should, which was an oversight on my part. He will offer us some ground coverage and defence like Lemmens does. Not sure who comes out for him. You'd be stiff to drop Brodie. Second gamer with 7 tackles, but he's probably the next guy in line.

I know Hall filled the stat sheet but I thought he played poorly. Lazy accountability, tried to pull off some outrageous kicks that turned into turn overs that led to goals. And this is becoming a habit. Dinky left foot across the body kicks into the corridor. He'll want to pick up IMO. We know from last year that Rocket isn't adverse to dropping him.

Lemmens nearly cost us the game? I would have had him in my top dozen. His pressure acts and ability to hit people at pace and contests at pace makes him very valuable. He's not in the forward 50 to kick goals. If he does that's a bonus in my view. He's there to chase and harass, something I think he does well. He's not getting dropped any time soon, I can promise you that. Sure he doesn't have all the talent and nous, but he walks his butt off.

I'm not disagreeing that Darce comes in. He should, which was an oversight on my part. He will offer us some ground coverage and defence like Lemmens does. Not sure who comes out for him. You'd be stiff to drop Brodie. Second gamer with 7 tackles, but he's probably the next guy in line.

I know Hall filled the stat sheet but I thought he played poorly. Lazy accountability, tried to pull off some outrageous kicks that turned into turn overs that led to goals. And this is becoming a habit. Dinky left foot across the body kicks into the corridor. He'll want to pick up IMO. We know from last year that Rocket isn't adverse to dropping him.
Top dozen! He would have been in my top two dozen! Maybe...
As for your promises, you can promise all you like.. really doesn't mean s**t does it... I will listen to your opinions but keep your promises to someone that believes you are on the MC..

Top dozen! He would have been in my top two dozen! Maybe...
As for your promises, you can promise all you like.. really doesn't mean s**t does it... I will listen to your opinions but keep your promises to someone that believes you are on the MC..
You disagree with me. That's fine.

No need to be rude.

No way Jess Joyce is dropped
Lemmens is a liability
Gets the ball but his decision making and disposal is appalling
Will Brodie needs a NEAFL roatation
Not up to AFL speed just yet

I would look at omitting Brodie Lemmens and Miller
Not sure any of those would offer much on an MCG roadtrip at the moment
Ah Chee McKenzie Fiorini and even Hallahan in the mix given MacPherson can't be selected
edit:(apparently he can be upgraded but I'd leave him for Metricon)

Last edited:
Draftees deserve a month in, unless Brodie is doing something horribly wrong give him a chance to be in without stressing about it, travel a couple times and understand further what it is to be in the seniors
Not so sure about that philosophy in our current situation
I agree in principle but this Club needs wins
We play our best team wiwo for the foreseeable future
I was pondering yesterday how Hanley Rosa Pearce Witts and Barlow are the matures we needed in 2010

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are serious, we need to win this game on the home of football against a bang average Hawks side.

Would take Lemmens out for Ah Chee if fit personally, 10 goals in 3 games for Ah Chee, hopefully he can keep that form up.

Lemmens does lay the physical pressure, but then releases that when he turns the ball over/makes a poor decision.

If Joyce is feeling sore, take him out for Mckenzie and lets see if Mckenzie is up to it this season.

If we are serious, we need to win this game on the home of football against a bang average Hawks side.

Would take Lemmens out for Ah Chee if fit personally, 10 goals in 3 games for Ah Chee, hopefully he can keep that form up.

Lemmens does lay the physical pressure, but then releases that when he turns the ball over/makes a poor decision.

If Joyce is feeling sore, take him out for Mckenzie and lets see if Mckenzie is up to it this season.

Yeah we definitely have to win this for sure
And the coaches need to prepare our blokes for war because this will be as physical as it gets

Expecting Lynch and Wright to have a massive impact like Dixon on Thursday. Gibson is their no.1 KPD and he is not capable to mark Lynch. Brand will take Wright, who again shouldn't be able to complete well with Wright

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

McPherson kicked 3.4 in the NEAFL. If someone watched the NEAFL game can they tell me whether he played extended periods up forward? If so maybe they were getting him ready to come in this week to play Lemmens' defensive forward role...

McPherson kicked 3.4 in the NEAFL. If someone watched the NEAFL game can they tell me whether he played extended periods up forward? If so maybe they were getting him ready to come in this week to play Lemmens' defensive forward role...

I watched most of the game and from memory, he was mainly on ball and can't remember him being in the forward line for extended periods.
It was mainly Loersch Grant Nicholls/Currie and Crossley.

If we can deliver the ball with any sort of accuracy to our fwds this week then we should win. Its a big 'if' though... Kicking in there against WCE was bloody terrible and nearly cost us the game.

Hawks backline is weak, and clearly struggled against Port and big Charlie Dixon.. We just need to actually kick it to Lynchs or Wrights advantage this week and it will go along way to us winning.

What a difference it makes having our experienced players leading the way. Gaz, Rosa, Hanley, Barlow, Harbrow, Lynch & May all played their leadership role well on the weekend. And they lifted our tier 2 guys with them.

Will have improved confidence immensely throughout the playing group. I reckon the boys will be out to make a big statement at the MCG this week.

And players need to, because we have a dozen quality players in the reserves banging down the door for a senior game.

Including Rischatelli in a few weeks.

We are primed for a big 2nd half of the season. Feel it in ma bones :thumbsu:

P.s. Would really like McKenzie to come in this week & rest Joycey.
First time in 12-months he is fit to play and get to 100. Might not happen again...

Rocket has already said that Ah Chee will play NEAFL this week but I think Macpherson has more than earnt a call up so hopefully that news about being able to elevate someone after round 11 is true. Joyce definitely seemed out of legs so I think resting him is a sensible option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back