Review Round 2 vs Western Bulldogs @ Mars Stadium - 24th March 2024 - 12:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Whos gonna stop Rowell? 29 clearances in 2 matches

VIC army let’s rise! Time to make some noise in the Rat and get loud for the lads! 3-0 here we come
We've only started a season 3-0 once before (2016) but all 3 of those wins were against bottom 5 teams that year. The opposition seems far more competitive this time around and therefore a W in this one could certainly create the narrative that this is the greatest start we've ever had to a season.

Id keep buddas

Who would you replace him with?

Id give him another go think he will be one of our best small defenders, hasnt played much footy since injury.

My changes:
Out Ellis > in Rat
Out Machpherson > sub Swallow > in Mac daddy
It's the usual suspects - Holman (not enough of the ball), Buderick (yet to be convinced), McPherson (please give him a rest and blood Will Graham) - but suspect Holman will hold his spot for a while as will Dave S. and Buderick BUT McPherson has to go. Walter close to a game, Will Graham, Clohesy, Andrew, Reid and Rogers when fit - some quality in there. Uwland is the Vlastuin clone Dimma is crafting - and it's working. You can actually see Dimma going for those death or glory players over the dainty crew we've had for too many years. Early days but I actually see hope. P.S. Ellis is past it so Atkins or Clohesy should get the go.

It's the usual suspects - Holman (not enough of the ball), Buderick (yet to be convinced), McPherson (please give him a rest and blood Will Graham) - but suspect Holman will hold his spot for a while as will Dave S. and Buderick BUT McPherson has to go. Walter close to a game, Will Graham, Clohesy, Andrew, Reid and Rogers when fit - some quality in there. Uwland is the Vlastuin clone Dimma is crafting - and it's working. You can actually see Dimma going for those death or glory players over the dainty crew we've had for too many years. Early days but I actually see hope. P.S. Ellis is past it so Atkins or Clohesy should get the go.
According to the injury report from a few days ago, both Rogers and Davies should be available for selection this week. Would be a brave call to bring Rogers straight in coming off an injury, but I don't think he'd be any worse than D-Mac. So maybe there's a chance? Perhaps as the sub? We know Dimma likes speed + physicality and Rogers definitely provides both of those elements.

According to the injury report from a few days ago, both Rogers and Davies should be available for selection this week. Would be a brave call to bring Rogers straight in coming off an injury, but I don't think he'd be any worse than D-Mac. So maybe there's a chance? Perhaps as the sub? We know Dimma likes speed + physicality and Rogers definitely provides both of those elements.
According to Suns injury report only Davies and Rogers should be available next week. Walter a week later. Surely, all will go through VFL first.

It will be interesting to see if we will bring Mac to counter WB talls. I doubt with no VFL games played.

I am aware that people want Swallow and Ellis to drop. Without re-watching the game, I felt after the game that both improved and played their roles. I did notice Swallow saved us several times in defence and to my shock Ellis executed a good tackle and seemed to cover his space. I also did not notice any erratic kicks by Ellis like against Tigers. I doubt they will be dropped at the moment.

One player I am looking forward to replacing is Casboult. I can't wait to see Walter in his role. Casboult looks like he slowed down and can't move laterally. I predict, Walter's pressure, speed will be awesome in Dimma's plan. I noticed Walter had a great moment with King after the game congratulating him.

It will be good to watch our 4 top picks getting games eventually.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just let Rogers play in the VFL for match fitness.

It’s a shame the VFL starts so late, so nobody is able to really press their case for selection.

But I’d consider Mac for the three talls that WB play.

Then will see if anything comes from the Berry hit (hopefully not).

If he does get suspended for that contact, could just move a player like Swallow forward and Mac to defence as third tall. If not, Swallow/Holman to sub and McPherson out of the team is an option too if we want height (which we probably do).

Just let Rogers play in the VFL for match fitness.

It’s a shame the VFL starts so late, so nobody is able to really press their case for selection.

But I’d consider Mac for the three talls that WB play.

Then will see if anything comes from the Berry hit (hopefully not).

If he does get suspended for that contact, could just move a player like Swallow forward and Mac to defence as third tall. If not, Swallow/Holman to sub and McPherson out of the team is an option too if we want height (which we probably do).
Witts might like Mac in the side, English moves so well

Swallow was good, saved us on a couple of occasions and those messy conditions suit him, very rarely double grabs in those awkward conditions. Will be required in a windy Ballarat next week.

Andrew is a decent shout to come in, maybe someone like a Budarick is moved to a sub.

Gonna be without Mally

Rosas has been banned for contact using the head on Adelaide's Max Michalanney in the Suns' win over Adelaide on Saturday night.

The incident, which wasn't captured on the television broadcast, happened in the second quarter and was graded intentional, low impact and high contact. The broadcast cameras picked up Rosas and Michalanney scuffling after the incident.

The Suns are set to play the Western Bulldogs in round two.

Gonna be without Mally

Rosas has been banned for contact using the head on Adelaide's Max Michalanney in the Suns' win over Adelaide on Saturday night.

The incident, which wasn't captured on the television broadcast, happened in the second quarter and was graded intentional, low impact and high contact. The broadcast cameras picked up Rosas and Michalanney scuffling after the incident.

The Suns are set to play the Western Bulldogs in round two.
probably means MacPherson gets a 22 spot

Realistically, what are our small forward options for guys that aren't already in the best 23? I'd say Tsitas, Long, Jeffrey or Ace. Dimma seems to like Tsitas so I think he'll probably be the one that's chosen if we do want to replace Mally with a guy that has been played as a small forward in the past. There's also the option to hand Rogers or Rowlands a debut but I think that's highly unlikely.

Mac (or Read) has to play though. Either Budarick or Swallow should be dropped for it. Powell is too short for the Dogs' tall forwards.

Before the season, a 2-1 record at the bye while going through the teething problems of a new system would’ve been a win, so the chance to go 3-0 against two teams expected to be fighting for finals would be a pretty massive start.

The dogs were poor today, but they seem to run hot and cold as much as we do so who knows which team shows up.

I assume we will back our defensive setup in and just hope for no lapses up the ground after giving up runs the first 2 games.

Also, the Mally ban is a joke. Massive loss though. He’s been killing it and neither Macpherson or Tsitas are nearly an offensive threat. Would almost give Jeffrey a run up there if he’s down the pecking order down back. Knows where the goals are at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back