Review Opening Round vs Richmond @ Heritage Bank Stadium - 9th March 2024 - 3:20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else see Jed Walter wandering around Carrara yesterday?
We flew back with the Academy team from Melbourne last year and he sat in front of us in an exit row
I do not recall him being the man mountain I saw yesterday and I’m 6’4
He’s ready to go

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We flew back with the Academy team from Melbourne last year and he sat in front of us in an exit row
He’s ready to go

Would've been magical to see him kick a bag with King n Luko yesterday but Cas did his job as usual. Big ol beefcake.

On TV it sounded 50/50, which compared to previous years is a step forward.

Also saw on Twitter that the crowd was 98% full with the attendance compared to our capacity, so a very good effort all around.

Will be interested to see what the crowd is like next week. I'll be there, hopefully a decent crowd following a good win.
For the first time in a long time I could actually hear Suns supporters shouting "BALL". Normally it's one or two of us.
Richmond did get loud in the third though

He’s ready to go

Jed and Ethan pretty much go to every game - now they'll get to play. So good to see it hasn't gone to their heads either. Great lads.

Really hope Secco blossoms in the new role. I love when he's a regular in the 22, he is such a great clubman.
Thought Secco was good yesterday. He obviously doesn’t relish body contact like a Matt Rowell but put himself in positions a few times where he was going to cop it for the good of the team. An extra experienced head down back helps.

Really hope Secco blossoms in the new role. I love when he's a regular in the 22, he is such a great clubman.

It’s funny when you’re looking into the fishbowl like we do instead of actually swimming in it
Who the other players get around
Secco Brayden just a couple

Kurt Angle Sport GIF by WWE
This is what I was envisioning after wins 😂

Once there’s a chance of finals you’d be surprised how many more Melbourne based fans we will suddenly attract with an eye to hedging finals tickets
I'm looking forward to this day! 30k members feels achievable this year if we keep this kind of momentum going throughout the season and the supporters we have in Melbourne are already a passionate + loud bunch, but I reckon an even bigger/louder faction of supporters down there is going to become really important for us in the future when we play big games down there.

Like it or not, in order to be successful in this league you have to win games in Melbourne and having significant amount of loud supporters helps (look at Collingwood whenever they play interstate). Adelaide in 2023 is a great example of what happens when you don't win in Melbourne - despite a strong record at home, they lost all five games they played in Victoria last year and missed the finals by one win. For context, just securing two wins in those five away games would have seen the Crows finish 5th last year.

Anyway. Can't wait for the day that we are regularly pulingl big crowds to home games like we did yesterday and we have significant support both at home + whenever we play in Melbourne. Mayor Tate is already talking about upgrading our stadium to fill in the open section, which would take the capacity to around 32k, so once we hit 30k members I reckon there will be louder calls for that to happen.

So pumped and excited about the future of this club. Let's f'n go!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what I was envisioning after wins 😂

I'm looking forward to this day! 30k members feels achievable this year if we keep this kind of momentum going throughout the season and the supporters we have in Melbourne are already a passionate + loud bunch, but I reckon an even bigger/louder faction of supporters down there is going to become really important for us in the future when we play big games down there.

Like it or not, in order to be successful in this league you have to win games in Melbourne and having significant amount of loud supporters helps (look at Collingwood whenever they play interstate). Adelaide in 2023 is a great example of what happens when you don't win in Melbourne - despite a strong record at home, they lost all five games they played in Victoria last year and missed the finals by one win. For context, just securing two wins in those five away games would have seen the Crows finish 5th last year.

Anyway. Can't wait for the day that we are regularly pulingl big crowds to home games like we did yesterday and we have significant support both at home + whenever we play in Melbourne. Mayor Tate is already talking about upgrading our stadium to fill in the open section, which would take the capacity to around 32k, so once we hit 30k members I reckon there will be louder calls for that to happen.

So pumped and excited about the future of this club. Let's f'n go!
If we fill in the open section I hope we go all out and build a grandstand with city and river views ( from the back) that can be used for corporate gigs when games aren’t on and hold a Suns museum.

Could you imagine attending a corporate gig where part of the activity used to go out onto the Oval and kick the footy around?

If we fill in the open section I hope we go all out and build a grandstand with city and river views ( from the back) that can be used for corporate gigs when games aren’t on and hold a Suns museum.

Could you imagine attending a corporate gig where part of the activity used to go out onto the Oval and kick the footy around?
How good would that be! A view of the Surfers-Main Beach-Southport skyline behind you and during games you get to see an exciting local footy team in front of you. I'd imagine it could look something similar to the HOTA view (see below) with the view from Carrara taking in even more in because it's further west. Surely that would make it very compelling to the corporates of the Gold Coast.

J3QkJ5x.jpg

Mr Bods will be pleased to know that Mr Baldy has continued his love affair with our little Club
It’s the constants in life like Mr Baldy, dodgy frees and negative free kick counts that keep me coming back year after year

He was even wearing a cap trying to be in disguise

I’ve got to say it was good being at a home game with a big crowd and an equal amount of Suns supporters.
People saying a lot of empty seats there was a lot of people standing and down at the bars and food areas and kids out on the oval kicking the footy

I’ve been going on about king he played great he just needs to back himself in.

Collins another one who wound back the clock to his better performances
And Holman I thought he was close to be pushed out of the side but yesterday showed there’s still a spot for him

Sexton seems to be settling in the back line I think a good team still may expose him though

Fiorini looks to have trimmed up and getting across the ground a bit quicker

The usuals Rowell miller Anderson Flanders Powell solid

I worry for swallow it seemed every kick he took just turned it over. Like others said I’d prefer Mac Andrew in for him

Basic skills still lacking at stages a lot of dropped marks and handballs but can see what was trying to be achieved.

I’m glad about what the coach said about uwland in the press conference it’s something that this team has been lacking for a long time

Opening Round Review vs. Richmond 2024 – Early Signs

The Suns played one of their best first halves in club history then followed it up with an abysmal third quarter just to make sure the Victorians watching didn’t change the channel. If you ignore that quarter, King kicked 5 Rowell had 20 clearances and the defence looked finals-worthy. But we can’t do that can we.

We can’t really complain too much after a decisive opening round win and I hope it doesn’t come across like I did. All round it was a very positive result for its low points as much as its highs, and thank God our first sell out of the year wasn’t the abject horror the last one was.

Mr Bods will be pleased to know that Mr Baldy has continued his love affair with our little Club
It’s the constants in life like Mr Baldy, dodgy frees and negative free kick counts that keep me coming back year after year

That disgraceful excuse for a VFL Umpire I must admit did fool me with his disguise until he took the hat off,however, I do recall yelling out to him that he needed glasses and not a hat at one point.
He won’t fool me again though.

Great idea - would be fabulous Corporate / Events section looking back towards the lights etc. ...and being completed would make for a much better experience for those of us attending. Might even stop that swirling wind we get at times as well. Wasn't it a promise from a former Premier when the Comm Games were announced but of course that never happened.

That disgraceful excuse for a VFL Umpire I must admit did fool me with his disguise until he took the hat off,however, I do recall yelling out to him that he needed glasses and not a hat at one point.
He won’t fool me again though.

I didn’t realise he even added a moustache 🥸

Remove this Banner Ad

Back