Review Round 2 vs Western Bulldogs @ Mars Stadium - 24th March 2024 - 12:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I had Mac as being our number 1 most improved player this year. I feel like he just needs to be selected once and hopefully can put it all together. Would love him to just be given a license to play pretty free across Half back and Wing.

Being so tall and skinny he doesn't fit into Hardwicks high pressure game plan. Hardwick needs to adjust because we have 2 great tall players in Mac and Ethan and he needs to tweak that game plan to make the most out of the talent we have.

A Mac playing well is going to do more for our team than an Ellis / Long playing well etc.

If Mac is saying to fans "He doesn’t understand why he is not getting the call up and is frustrated by lack of selection" he has a lot of growing up to do.
Confirming that having just turned 20 he has does have a lot of growing up to do
Unless he's like a Pakistani batsman and official DOB is bogus

I wasn't able to watch the match live but I planned to watch it on AFL's replay. My plan was to type my thoughts as I watched then post them when I finished the match. But I got pretty distracted after the first quarter and never got back around to it. Anyway, this is what I wrote:

Very annoying: Should have been ball on Bailey Dale at 8:12 left in Q1 (20:15 to 20:45 on the match replay). Great tackle by Jed Walter dead in front, Bailey Dale juggles it before he carries it to ground, waits half a second, then gets off the handpass. It would have been a great first goal for Jed Walter that highlights his excellent defensive pressure… would have been so good for his confidence, alas. And in the very next throw-in Ned Moyle got taken high for no free kick. I suppose since GC got such an easy ride by the umps in the Adelaide game (Rowell had about 6 throws) our luck was bound to come around.

Poor Bodhi Uwland got absolutely mullered by Weightman. I like the kid but he needs to be dropped after that, Lemmens can keep his spot warm while he gets his confidence back.

Not sure what Long was even doing in the team, surely Darcy MacPherson would have been a better option as a replacement forward for Rosas? 2 tackles and just 1 ground ball get. At least Rosas can slot right back into the team.

I wasn't able to watch the match live but I planned to watch it on AFL's replay. My plan was to type my thoughts as I watched then post them when I finished the match. But I got pretty distracted after the first quarter and never got back around to it. Anyway, this is what I wrote:

Very annoying: Should have been ball on Bailey Dale at 8:12 left in Q1 (20:15 to 20:45 on the match replay). Great tackle by Jed Walter dead in front, Bailey Dale juggles it before he carries it to ground, waits half a second, then gets off the handpass. It would have been a great first goal for Jed Walter that highlights his excellent defensive pressure… would have been so good for his confidence, alas. And in the very next throw-in Ned Moyle got taken high for no free kick. I suppose since GC got such an easy ride by the umps in the Adelaide game (Rowell had about 6 throws) our luck was bound to come around.

Poor Bodhi Uwland got absolutely mullered by Weightman. I like the kid but he needs to be dropped after that, Lemmens can keep his spot warm while he gets his confidence back.

Not sure what Long was even doing in the team, surely Darcy MacPherson would have been a better option as a replacement forward for Rosas? 2 tackles and just 1 ground ball get. At least Rosas can slot right back into the team.

If we’re bringing lemmens in then we are in trouble

If we’re bringing lemmens in then we are in trouble
I agree that Lemmens isn't great, but Uwland is really struggling and it will be better long-term for Uwland's development to regain his confidence for one or two VFL games. I know Dimma likes his tenacity but I wouldn't want him to join the 'never dropped regardless of form' club.

Sort of agree with most that lemmens isn't a long term prospect but right now I think he's our best lockdown. Coming up against Toby Greene is it a good opportunity for experience playing uwland on him or could it set him back if he gets hold of him? Maybe lemmens is a safer bet for now.

I agree that Lemmens isn't great, but Uwland is really struggling and it will be better long-term for Uwland's development to regain his confidence for one or two VFL games. I know Dimma likes his tenacity but I wouldn't want him to join the 'never dropped regardless of form' club.

He’s only played 6 games I’m pretty sure where he is playing is better for his development

He’s only played 6 games I’m pretty sure where he is playing is better for his development
Yeah I do like uwland in the team, just not sure giving him the big job every week is ideal. Maybe play him on Daniels this week instead of Greene ( still a tough task)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I do like uwland in the team, just not sure giving him the big job every week is ideal. Maybe play him on Daniels this week instead of Greene ( still a tough task)
Haha, Daniel is as good as Greene recently. Tough choice. Then you got Brown, Bedford, the list goes on.

To be honest I worry more about Budarick's defence and whether midfield can stand up against GWS machine. All GWS players look fast with great skills, great rebound. I am concerned, haha.

Just hoping we are competitive and not lose by 50+.

Last edited:
Worked well with Sharp, Hollands and Burgess didn't it. Uwland is the future - Lemmens is the past. Play the kids - we're still way off the pace unless a massive change in confidence and aggression - will to win etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back