Review Round 1 vs Adelaide @ People First Bank Stadium - 16th March 2024 - 7:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

The weather and being a night game probably both play their part in keeping people. Still not a bad crowd, but not the bumper crowd we would have liked.
The weather came out of nowhere. I was not prepared. :/

That got a bit tense in the last few minutes, just needed a little more composure. Noah in particular was in panic mode, hacking and swinging at everything.

Still a good win though. Comment on Ben King, I was pleased with him. Nothing went his way but was still competing which is great to see.

That got a bit tense in the last few minutes, just needed a little more composure. Noah in particular was in panic mode, hacking and swinging at everything.

Still a good win though. Comment on Ben King, I was pleased with him. Nothing went his way but was still competing which is great to see.
Yeah, I noticed Noah panic mode too.

I thought first 3 QTRs were great. Basically dominated, great team effort working together, playing roles. Until 10 min to go we were still fine. Then Crows made some fantastic goals when they went for it and got momentum. When Crows scored on the siren of 3QTR, I was thinking, watch out. That goal was easily preventable.

Some missed opportunities in front of goals, missed easy shots. It almost cost us.

I thought all 4 amigos in the middle were great. Miller seems underappreciated. He got basically exactly the same numbers as Rowell. Some poor kicks from Anderson.

In defence, Powell, Collins and Ballard again were very good and so was Uwland's one percenters. Sexton is growing on me and so is Fiorini (who would have thought).

Berry continues to surprise me. Very good again. King not great but fought hard. One got to appreciate it. It was Luko who seemed poor in wet.

Time to re-watch it.

Last edited:
I thought first 3 QTRs were great. Basically, dominated, great team effort working together. Until 10 min to go we were still fine. Then Crows made some fantastic goals when they went for it and got momentum. When Crows scored on the siren of 3QTR, I was thinking, watch out. That goal was easily preventable.

Some missed opportunities in front of goals, missed easy shots. It almost cost us.

I thought all our 4 amigos in the middle were great. Miller seems underappreciated. He got basically exactly the same numbers as Rowell. Some poor kicks from Anderson.

In defence, Powell, Collins and Ballard again were very good and so was Uwland's one percenters. Sexton is growing on me and so is Fiorini (who would have thought).

Berry continues to surprise me. Very good again. King not great but fought hard. One got to appreciate it. It was Luko who seemed poor in wet.

Time to re-watch it.
20 scoring shots to 14. Missing those gettable kicks so often is costly. Could have been last night too if Berry hadn't dropped an easy mark.

We controlled Richmond's fightback well last week, but couldn't hold off Adelaide. Probably the conditions didn't help. Harder to chip mark and run down the clock. Much more positive generally compared to last year though, the effort is way up.

20 scoring shots to 14. Missing those gettable kicks so often is costly. Could have been last night too if Berry hadn't dropped an easy mark.

We controlled Richmond's fightback well last week, but couldn't hold off Adelaide. Probably the conditions didn't help. Harder to chip mark and run down the clock. Much more positive generally compared to last year though, the effort is way up.
We play way better than I expected so early in implementing a new plan. It was telling when Dimma said that we basically did not train those situations yet. I would say the big difference for me is that Dimma is instilling confidence into players. Mentally we crumbled often in the past.

Two very tough games on the road coming. Probably losses as there will be ups and downs. Bring the contest as we did so far and I will be happy. Love to watch our midfield now (mostly).

We play way better than I expected so early in implementing a new plan. It was telling when Dimma said that we basically did not train those situations yet. I would say the big difference for me is that Dimma is instilling confidence into players. Mentally we crumbled often in the past.

Two very tough games on the road coming. Probably losses as there will be ups and downs.
Dimma seems very positive and confident (rightly so with his record). Can only help rub off on the players. Suspect he's giving the players very simple instructions at this stage too.

They mentioned on the commentary last night that he'd given Luko a rocket in the preseason. To my eye Luko has been competing much harder which is welcome. I wonder if a few of these guys are looking at the academy players coming in and realising their spots will be under pressure soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma seems very positive and confident (rightly so with his record). Can only help rub off on the players. Suspect he's giving the players very simple instructions at this stage too.

They mentioned on the commentary last night that he'd given Luko a rocket in the preseason. To my eye Luko has been competing much harder which is welcome. I wonder if a few of these guys are looking at the academy players coming in and realising their spots will be under pressure soon.
Development coach Douglas said the same - they challenged Luko early in pre-season. Also when talking about young developing talent he said some have to un-learn bad habits. Not sure what he meant but it could explain e.g., Jeffrey not playing (on and off field lack of consistency according to Dimma).

I thought first 3 QTRs were great. Basically dominated, great team effort working together, playing roles. Until 10 min to go we were still fine. Then Crows made some fantastic goals when they went for it and got momentum. When Crows scored on the siren of 3QTR, I was thinking, watch out. That goal was easily preventable.

I thought all 4 amigos in the middle were great. Miller seems underappreciated. He got basically exactly the same numbers as Rowell. Some poor kicks from Anderson.

Time to re-watch it.

Better game from Humper last night
I wonder about his pace but then the conditions last night would have suited him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So watch the game again this morning, and while I think we all agree, the fourth-quarter was poor, we were literally 30 points up with 10 minutes to play. The crows got a free kick kicked a goal that started the momentum running their way. Considering how many goals we missed, including three posters I think we were by far better side.
Our fast hands and their ability to hit a target is dramatically better than what it was last year. And I think we all know it’s going to improve further as the guys understand the gameplay. Adding four top 15 pics and Weller to the side we could really be anything by the end of the year IMO

Glad you mentioned this. Noticed that when Luko came to the bench towards the end of the game his body language indicated to me that despite being frustrated with his output (Given the conditions understandable) but had a look in his eye like he wanted to will us across the line. Very promising.

Better game from Humper last night
I wonder about his pace but then the conditions last night would have suited him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Man if Humper ends up kicking 3.1 instead of 1.3 we win in a canter and he's challenging Rowelly for the top votes. He's not too far off it.

After the game we had the usual boys coming out to sign stuff for the kids and I said to Tom Berry "You boys sure don't make it boring hey" which got a chuckle out of him.

Glad you mentioned this. Noticed that when Luko came to the bench towards the end of the game his body language indicated to me that despite being frustrated with his output (Given the conditions understandable) but had a look in his eye like he wanted to will us across the line. Very promising.

Man if Humper ends up kicking 3.1 instead of 1.3 we win in a canter and he's challenging Rowelly for the top votes. He's not too far off it.

After the game we had the usual boys coming out to sign stuff for the kids and I said to Tom Berry "You boys sure don't make it boring hey" which got a chuckle out of him.

I think people just need to calm expectations a little on Humphrey he’s only played 21 games.

Thomas Berry reminds me a bit of Holman when he first came in. Once he was given a role to play his game completely changed

Just been rewatching, I know it's been said a lot but I am just in awe of how good Wil Powell has become, his ability to read the ball and know when to go and when not too is first class. Incredible growth from a skinny forward flanker to what he is now.

Just been rewatching, I know it's been said a lot but I am just in awe of how good Wil Powell has become, his ability to read the ball and know when to go and when not too is first class. Incredible growth from a skinny forward flanker to what he is now.
If he can get back to his best a half backline of Weller Ballard Powell would be getting close to Lappin Michael Ashcroft class

Remove this Banner Ad

Back